British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Cost of living in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/cost-living-spain-890736/)

ElizabethH Jan 27th 2017 8:35 pm

Cost of living in Spain

Hi please advise, can 2 people live on £1200 a month without having a mortgage/ rent to pay? Thank you

jonboy Jan 27th 2017 8:38 pm

Re: Cost of living in Spain

Sounds do-able depending on your lifestyle?

Rosemary Jan 27th 2017 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by ElizabethH (Post 12163546)
Hi please advise, can 2 people live on £1200 a month without having a mortgage/ rent to pay? Thank you

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

tebo53 Jan 27th 2017 9:57 pm

We live quite nicely and pay rent on that amount of money!!

Steve

big wheels Jan 27th 2017 10:27 pm

Providing you are not living in a tourist area on the coast & relying on other Brits for your shopping and entertainment, £1200/month is more than enough.

tebo53 Jan 27th 2017 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by big wheels (Post 12163633)
Providing you are not living in a tourist area on the coast & relying on other Brits for your shopping and entertainment, £1200/month is more than enough.

£1200 = €1400. I live in Benidorm which is a major costal tourist area. We shop in a variety of different types of supermarkets and outdoor markets. We have rather a good social life as we eat out several times a week and often call in at the tapas areas to mingle with the local Spanish residents, very enjoyable! !

We don't smoke or drink to excess and don't have a lavish lifestyle but we can be quite comfortable with the income you suggest even with paying rental for our apartment.

Can't understand what big wheels means when he says "relying on other Brits for your shopping and entertainment"?

Most certainly if you don't have mortgage or rent to pay monthly you will manage nicely.

lyric030250 Jan 28th 2017 6:22 am

Agreed, maybe not in Marbella or Puerto Banus but in normal places, easily.

TheLostPhotographer Jan 29th 2017 2:12 pm

The average net monthly salary in Spain is currently €1,700. However, many menial workers such as cleaners, or carers (annoys me why this is classified as 'menial work', but...) earn just €1,000/month.

The average income for those aged 18 -34 years is about €840/month (this includes those without fixed work).

Obviously, all would enjoy a larger income, but many live very happily on the figures given above. The largest proportion of outgoings will be rent/mortgage, so you are actually in a far better position than the average Spanish person in Spain.

You can live on very little in Spain if you're the frugal type. €700/month disposable income per person is luxury to most!

Jaques Feb 1st 2017 4:18 pm

Hi.....what about cost health insurance.....how much would that cost?

Dondurma Feb 1st 2017 4:51 pm

Well OBVIOUSLY that's down to your personal circumstances

If you're 98 an alcoholic with asbestosis and a wonky eye you're gonna pay more than a 21 year old US Marine!!!

tebo53 Feb 1st 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dondurma (Post 12167935)
Well OBVIOUSLY that's down to your personal circumstances

If you're 98 an alcoholic with asbestosis and a wonky eye you're gonna pay more than a 21 year old US Marine!!!

Well, that's not a very helpful post Dondurma!! :confused:

If you of pensionable age you can apply to Newcastle for a form S1 which will give you healthcare in Spain paid for by the UK, otherwise you will need private healthcare which could be around €100 plus per month. Private healthcare often does not cover existing problems. You can apply for quotes from numerous companies.

Steve

Dondurma Feb 1st 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12168044)
Well, that's not a very helpful post Dondurma!! :confused:

If you of pensionable age you can apply to Newcastle for a form S1 which will give you healthcare in Spain paid for by the UK, otherwise you will need private healthcare which could be around €100 plus per month. Private healthcare often does not cover existing problems. You can apply for quotes from numerous companies.

Steve

But Tebo it's true

How much Health Ins will cost you obviously is like how longs a piece of string!!!

tebo53 Feb 1st 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dondurma (Post 12168050)
But Tebo it's true

How much Health Ins will cost you obviously is like how longs a piece of string!!!

Yes but it was jaques 1st post on the site and we've all been there making some big decisions as to make big changes to our lives.

I remember my first few posts asking questions that have obvious answers - when you know the answer!!

:amen:

Dondurma Feb 1st 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12168056)
Yes but it was jaques 1st post on the site and we've all been there making some big decisions as to make big changes to our lives.

I remember my first few posts asking questions that have obvious answers - when you know the answer!!

:amen:

Fair point Tebo

Apologies Jacques

landcrab Feb 1st 2017 6:29 pm

I find these posts that ask can I live on a certain amount of money quite stupid.
If you are keen on moving to Spain you must have visited, so therefore it would not be too difficult to work it out for yourself. It is only you that knows what kind of lifestyle you will follow.