Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Spain

Cost of living in Spain

Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Spain

Originally Posted by Boseley
With IGIC (Purchase tax) at only 7%, the Canary Island economy and climate, might be one to consider if you really do want a better life.
It doesn't matter how low or high IGIC is, because at the end of the day the end price is what counts. Restaurants are cheap enough, because staff hardly earn anything and there's plenty of competition, but everything else (apart from petrol) is pricey. Clothing, electrical appliances, car parts, furniture, etc. all have to be imported and you only have limited choice.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amideislas
Rents are generally quite a bit lower per sq. meter (unless you are determined to live in a British expat community, where things are always higher), utilities/internet/ phone are generally a lot higher. Especially electricity and water. If you have your own well, water is a lot cheaper. Electricity is government-controlled. Not much you can do about it. But you should avoid electric heating. It will bankrupt you.
Regarding electricity for heating. We have a living flame fire which is very effective, but for winter room heating we use electric heaters. Probably not very economical I accept, but as we don't have the luxury of central heating can you (or others perhaps) please suggest more effective alternatives?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:49 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It doesn't matter how low or high IGIC is, because at the end of the day the end price is what counts. Restaurants are cheap enough, because staff hardly earn anything and there's plenty of competition, but everything else (apart from petrol) is pricey. Clothing, electrical appliances, car parts, furniture, etc. all have to be imported and you only have limited choice.
Hardly everything has to be imported, to the Canarian Archipelago, that is a myth, we grow, manufacture and export many items, furniture one example, building materials another, tropical fruits, cheeses, wines, spirits.

Many things that we do import, because of a 7% IGIC, are sold at cheaper prices than U.K. or or Europe, where many places the VAT is 20%.

I know I´ve just bought a new motor car.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 4:57 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Regarding electricity for heating. We have a living flame fire which is very effective, but for winter room heating we use electric heaters. Probably not very economical I accept, but as we don't have the luxury of central heating can you (or others perhaps) please suggest more effective alternatives?
Any advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Try butane gas heaters - you have to be careful of possible carbon monoxide issues but if the room is ventilated or you have a CO alarm, it should be fine.

They can give off a lot of water vapour but we have our property well ventilated and have never suffered with condensation etc.

We also have air conditioning units (inverters) - these are extremely efficient and effective. They are surprisingly economic to run if set correctly.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Curlygirly is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Cost of living in Spain

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this, we are trying to do the same research as 'Meaven01' re cost of living in Spain with a view to our move out next year. We have several specific questions, like the cost of buying a property, cost of visiting a doctors etc, but I have no clue how to start a new thread? Sorry to post on your threat Meaven01. Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by Curlygirly; Oct 20th 2015 at 9:11 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hardly everything has to be imported, to the Canarian Archipelago, that is a myth, we grow, manufacture and export many items, furniture one example, building materials another, tropical fruits, cheeses, wines, spirits. Many things that we do import, because of a 7% IGIC, are sold at cheaper prices than U.K. or or Europe, where many places the VAT is 20%. I know I´ve just bought a new motor car.
Most countries grow their own food. We also have fruit & veg in the garden, but that's not the point. You can go to any smaller island in the world and someone will produce something. Just because VAT is lower, doesn't mean you can buy the product cheaper and on a smaller island you have limited choice.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Try butane gas heaters - you have to be careful of possible carbon monoxide issues but if the room is ventilated or you have a CO alarm, it should be fine.

They can give off a lot of water vapour but we have our property well ventilated and have never suffered with condensation etc.

We also have air conditioning units (inverters) - these are extremely efficient and effective. They are surprisingly economic to run if set correctly.
Thanks for that, very much appreciated.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:04 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Most countries grow their own food. We also have fruit & veg in the garden, but that's not the point. You can go to any smaller island in the world and someone will produce something. Just because VAT is lower, doesn't mean you can buy the product cheaper and on a smaller island you have limited choice.

My family lived in Valencia for a long time before they died, hence I have knowledge of the Iberian part of Spain.

I first arrived here in the Canaries in 1962, so my experience of the Canarian Archipelago, obviously to some, counts for nothing, hence I will cease sharing my knowledge and experience gained over some 53 years, and not comment further.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

With IGIC (Purchase tax) at only 7%, the Canary Island economy and climate, might be one to consider if you really do want a better life.
I agree if you like to walk along a beach of volcanic ash.........
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My family lived in Valencia for a long time before they died, hence I have knowledge of the Iberian part of Spain. I first arrived here in the Canaries in 1962, so my experience of the Canarian Archipelago, obviously to some, counts for nothing, hence I will cease sharing my knowledge and experience gained over some 53 years, and not comment further.
I'm not questioning your knowledge, but there are a lot more things to consider than 7% IGIC. Like anywhere, it depends what type of person you are and we all have different spending habits. Valencia is not the whole of Spain and some will spend more than others.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Spanish council tax (IBI) is only cheaper out in the sticks, but not in the cities

The IBI on our flat is 200 euros per month for example
WOW !!!
We have a little 93sqm detached Chalet in Torremolinos. 1.5km from the sea with views of the beach albeit with binos.
Our IBI without discount for the Padron is 355 Euros PER YEAR. with Discount I pay 238 Euros PER YEAR.
Which city are you in BTW so I'll know where to avoid.
As for heating here we used the A/Cs mainly this year and our highest bill Jan/Feb 2015 was 196 Euros and we are all electric with a 4.6KW installation.
M

Last edited by Maybe1day; Oct 22nd 2015 at 4:57 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
WOW !!!
We have a little 93sqm detached Chalet in Torremolinos. 1.5km from the sea with views of the beach albeit with binos.
Our IBI without discount for the Padron is 355 Euros PER YEAR. with Discount I pay 238 Euros PER YEAR.
Which city are you in BTW so I'll know where to avoid.
As for heating here we used the A/Cs mainly this year and our highest bill Jan/Feb 2015 was 196 Euros and we are all electric with a 4.6KW installation.
M
Torri! I am in Cabo we should meet up with cupcake and have a drink.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 9:58 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilsman77
I agree if you like to walk along a beach of volcanic ash.........
You obviously have very limited knowledge of the Canary Isles.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

they filmed Planet of The Apes there, says it all really..........
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: Cost of living in Spain

Originally Posted by wilsman77
they filmed Planet of The Apes there, says it all really..........
That is actually just a myth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.