Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Cost Of Living In Spain

The Cost Of Living In Spain

Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost Of Living In Spain

Originally Posted by agoreira
Indeed, and what could be better than tucking into some pig's ear, beef cheeks, bull's tail, criadillas, callos etc. They reckon the Chinese eat anything with four legs except a table, the Spanish don't waste a lot, do they?
lol
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:26 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I landed back in the UK with my Swedish girlfriend, I wasn't even allowed to drive the 20 miles back home without first a stop at a fish and chip shop , then at a traditional English Butchers.

From then on it was English breakfasts, English Sunday lunches, more fish and chips and all the English Butchers products and traditional English food she could wrap her chops around.

The only food we looked forward to on arrival the Canaries was in Venezuelan restaurants, but there again we had to get in early before the regular stampede of Spanish chefs and other staff who had just finished serving their usual bland Spanish offerings to poor unsuspecting tourists who hadn't yet learned their way around.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I also know a couple of teachers who spent time learning english in Bournemouth and they say how awful english food is and how it upsets their system and how you cannot beat food in spain...but I also know people who have studied there who love nothing more than a decent fry up..each to their own I guess.
Sounds like the food provided in the hostel or college was dire, maybe they went to the same place as they are all from the Valencia province.

Rosemary
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Sounds like the food provided in the hostel or college was dire, maybe they went to the same place as they are all from the Valencia province.

Rosemary
Not sure.I did defend our english grub but they wouldnt have it and proceeded to tell me about chips with jamon and eggs and how heavenly it is.To me there is good and bad food everywhere.Fish and chips can be divine but when its bad its very bad...just like a pasty!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You're a doctor are you? Not everyone uses olive oil that is a stupid statement. At some of the better restaurants they do, but try going to a Northern city and finding even one good restaurant.

And then there is the stuff you have to buy at supermarkets etc because you can't always cook from scratch when travelling. Waitrose is great, but there isnt a Waitrose everywhere

The same happened when I went to the US when I was a teenager. After a few days everything made me feel sick. I wasnt used to eating donuts for breakfast or pizzas full of oil
Same with me , I used to visit the US 8 or 9 times a year for around a week at a time , living in hotels and eating out 3 times a day , at the end of the week I felt ill and lost my appetite ,always glad to get back to my own kitchen and prepare something fresh and healthy.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ever thought of skipping a meal We manage to find plenty of healthy food in the USA. Infact I don't eat burgers. I know what you mean about feeling full, I do sometimes when I see an enormous portion even before starting to eat I once ordered a chicken salad, I chose the small appetizer size. When it arrived it looked like one I would serve up for 4

Had to smile at the above quote. "oily pizzas". Has that guy ever been there probably the best pizza outside Italy. Donuts for breakfast he obviously didn't eat in restaurants, even the cheap Denny's chains do tropical fresh fruit plates.

Last edited by jackytoo; Sep 21st 2013 at 12:30 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:45 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Same with me , I used to visit the US 8 or 9 times a year for around a week at a time , living in hotels and eating out 3 times a day , at the end of the week I felt ill and lost my appetite ,always glad to get back to my own kitchen and prepare something fresh and healthy.
In the states, you have so many more choices of cuisines and quality than the average European fare. Why in the world would you deliberately choose to eat crappy food only when you're in the states? That would be like choosing to drive an old Lada on the autobahn.

For me, I'd much prefer to take advantage of the great food when I'm there.

That reminds me, I really fancy a good Chicago pan pizza from one of those little backstreet places off rush street right now.

or a good NY strip

or Mexican

or that decadent carrot cake

Going over again next month. Thanks for reminding me about the treats that await me.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I also know a couple of teachers who spent time learning english in Bournemouth and they say how awful english food is and how it upsets their system and how you cannot beat food in spain...but I also know people who have studied there who love nothing more than a decent fry up..each to their own I guess.
Nothing I have eaten in Spain is better than a well cooked roast dinner, breakfast, fish and chips in a light, crispy batter etc in UK.
Though I quite like some meals in Spain, they are, as some have said bland, oftenlacking in decent vegetables, even though they grow many here;I love hot food, served on a hot plate-they don't seem to care about that here.They are not good on desserts here either!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 2:15 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Nothing I have eaten in Spain is better than a well cooked roast dinner, breakfast, fish and chips in a light, crispy batter etc in UK.
Though I quite like some meals in Spain, they are, as some have said bland, oftenlacking in decent vegetables, even though they grow many here;I love hot food, served on a hot plate-they don't seem to care about that here.They are not good on desserts here either!

Well said. There is some great food in Spain of course but a lot of it is pretty mundane.

The best of British, and you have mentioned some of them, are as good as anything I have had anywhere.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 4:13 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Where we are Mercadona have just changed their fruit and vegetable counter and you now pick your own rather than the pre-packed stuff for most of the items. It's much better, healthier and cheaper. Our five a day is now up to at least seven a day.

Unfortunately my wife found an excuse to visit Iceland, allegedly for Sensodyne toothpaste of all things. She got the toothpaste all right, along with a large bag of nasty things we shouldn't be eating - chocolate puddings and custard, British sausages etc.

I'm frightened to look in the fridge. And the freezer.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
nasty things we shouldn't be eating - chocolate puddings and custard, British sausages etc.
It's not the *stuff* that's the problem, it's the quantity.
For example, an average sized banana has as many calories as 3oz. of chocolate pudding. So "5 a day" of bananas will soon see you on the road to weight-watchers.

Any food in moderation is not going to be bad for you.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
In the states, you have so many more choices of cuisines and quality than the average European fare. Why in the world would you deliberately choose to eat crappy food only when you're in the states? That would be like choosing to drive an old Lada on the autobahn.

For me, I'd much prefer to take advantage of the great food when I'm there.

That reminds me, I really fancy a good Chicago pan pizza from one of those little backstreet places off rush street right now.

Going over again next month. Thanks for reminding me about the treats that await me.
The steak looks tempting, but as for the rest - heart attack on a plate as far as I'm concerned!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:28 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
It is how it's cooked too. I ordered Aubergines fried in batter at a place on the costa in July, a favourite of mine. The dish was swimming in oil
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:00 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
For example, an average sized banana has as many calories as 3oz. of chocolate pudding. So "5 a day" of bananas will soon see you on the road to weight-watchers.

As you are clued up, can I ask you how long I should make my Big Toblerone last?
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The steak looks tempting, but as for the rest - heart attack on a plate as far as I'm concerned!
That steak is mouthwatering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.