Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Cost Of Living In Spain

The Cost Of Living In Spain

Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost Of Living In Spain

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Sounds like your system cannot take the Ivor Dewdney pasties any more.

Rosemary
My system could never take Ivor Dewdneys.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:22 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You're a doctor are you? Not everyone uses olive oil that is a stupid statement. At some of the better restaurants they do, but try going to a Northern city and finding even one good restaurant.

And then there is the stuff you have to buy at supermarkets etc because you can't always cook from scratch when travelling. Waitrose is great, but there isnt a Waitrose everywhere

The same happened when I went to the US when I was a teenager. After a few days everything made me feel sick. I wasnt used to eating donuts for breakfast or pizzas full of oil
Yes, Seeman, we know.. everything about the US makes you sick.
Ad nauseum...

Somehow I don't think it has anything to do with the food. After all, why would you suddenly choose to eat donuts or order pizzas with extra oil just because you're in the States?

Get a life.

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 6th 2013 at 9:56 am.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:24 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a university student the other day and she said that the food in the UK is awful. She was basing this on the fact that she had just been to Bournemouth on a language course and as far as she was concerned the only foods are fish and chips or macarroni cheese and that everything is cooked in butter. Obviously no matter what I said I could not change her mind because she was judging the food that brits eat by her own experience. Sad that she has gained such a negative impression but I suppose there are many brits who gain similar negative impressions of other countries in the same manner.

Rosemary
Funny you should say that. There are loads of Spanish students there. Last year we were talking to some...outside Harry Ramsdens. They were having king prawns cooked in batter. They asked us to take photos of them and aid the prawns were delicious. Shows how wrong some can be though...cooking with butter, macaroni cheese...never seen it on a menu anywhere
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:30 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Do we have to have a pissing contest every day now

I'll broaden it a bit....Italian food is far better and fresher than Spanish. Prices about the same as Spain, like for like.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I was talking to a university student the other day and she said that the food in the UK is awful. She was basing this on the fact that she had just been to Bournemouth on a language course and as far as she was concerned the only foods are fish and chips or macarroni cheese and that everything is cooked in butter. Obviously no matter what I said I could not change her mind because she was judging the food that brits eat by her own experience. Sad that she has gained such a negative impression but I suppose there are many brits who gain similar negative impressions of other countries in the same manner.

Rosemary
I also know a couple of teachers who spent time learning english in Bournemouth and they say how awful english food is and how it upsets their system and how you cannot beat food in spain...but I also know people who have studied there who love nothing more than a decent fry up..each to their own I guess.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:38 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't think you have ever been there. breakfasts are superb, Omlettes cooked to order, choice of about 8 breads, mounds of fresh fruit...

Do you think the cheap Spanish restaurants always use olive oil for cooking. Then there have been all those oil scandals
I agree about the omlettes, although I can´t be doing with the egg white omlettes, that are vry fashionable with Americans at the moment.

If you´re gonna have an omlette it has to be a whole egg one.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:40 am
Banned

When I was at Sevilla Uni I took a Spanish friend back for a visit to the UK. Her favourite foods were English breakfast, fish and chips and toasted teacakes with lots of butter. Always see the Spanish tucking in to cooked breakfasts in both the UK and USA hotels. However, some on here claims to know a different type of Spaniard

From what I have seen of students recently be it Spain, USA, UK. Italy they live on burgers and pizzas. If students are living in it's mainly slop in all countries. I had a months course in the Sorbonne..dreadful food but I love French food.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by me me
I agree about the omlettes, although I can´t be doing with the egg white omlettes, that are vry fashionable with Americans at the moment.

If you´re gonna have an omlette it has to be a whole egg one.
Yes, California are really into the white ones. What makes me uneasy in the USA is the menu always says three or four egg omelettes which sounds unhealthy

OH and I are like Jack Spratt with fried eggs. he likes a runny yolk one and I only like the white. Works well...I should put it in the frugal living thread
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you have ever been there. breakfasts are superb, Omlettes cooked to order, choice of about 8 breads, mounds of fresh fruit...

Do you think the cheap Spanish restaurants always use olive oil for cooking. Then there have been all those oil scandals
I dont go to cheap restaurants in Spain for that very reason. The difference in Spain is that there is always a good place to go to. In the UK there is not. In London yes there is plenty of choice.

There is not much point me arguing anymore on this forum, there is a large force out to prove that Spain is worse than other countries at everything. I have no idea why they want to do that, it makes them feel better about themselves I suppose.

So I will go and do something more productive with my time and enjoy this wonderful country that I have been so lucky to spend the last 7 years in - one which my family is happy to call home. Best of luck to those who wish to do the same
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:53 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

When I was at Sevilla Uni I took a Spanish friend back for a visit to the UK. Her favourite foods were English breakfast, fish and chips and toasted teacakes with lots of butter. Always see the Spanish tucking in to cooked breakfasts in both the UK and USA hotels. However, some on here claims to know a different type of Spaniard

From what I have seen of students recently be it Spain, USA, UK. Italy they live on burgers and pizzas. If students are living in it's mainly slop in all countries. I had a months course in the Sorbonne..dreadful food but I love French food.
I knew students who live on super noodles and tinned tuna.

When we had Spaish family visiting us in the UK, they could not get enough of Enlish brekkies.

Some times the full works, and other times bacon on tast etc.

It made a change from the bolleria that the had at home, doughuts dipped in coffee.

But discussing food in different countries gives some an opportunity to run down their birth place once again.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:54 am
Banned

I go up North (UK) 2 or 3 times per year for a company meeting and there are some great restaurants in Yorkshire and Derbyshire. Good country pub fare too.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:57 am
Banned

Yes, California are really into the white ones. What makes me uneasy in the USA is the menu always says three or four egg omelettes which sounds unhealthy

OH and I are like Jack Spratt with fried eggs. he likes a runny yolk one and I only like the white. Works well...I should put it in the frugal living thread
I can outdo you on that score, if we manage to get hold of gala pie, I east the egg and pastry, and OH eats the meat.

frugality at its best.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

..cooking with butter, macaroni cheese...never seen it on a menu anywhere
Although I can't remember when I ever went to a chippy, I could understand it if they quoted fish and chips, but cooking with butter and macaroni cheese? Sure someone just made that up!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 9:59 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I dont go to cheap restaurants in Spain for that very reason. The difference in Spain is that there is always a good place to go to. In the UK there is not. In London yes there is plenty of choice.

There is not much point me arguing anymore on this forum, there is a large force out to prove that Spain is worse than other countries at everything. I have no idea why they want to do that, it makes them feel better about themselves I suppose.

So I will go and do something more productive with my time and enjoy this wonderful country that I have been so lucky to spend the last 7 years in - one which my family is happy to call home. Best of luck to those who wish to do the same
Well, I'll give you a tip. Using ridiculous examples like that doesn't do much for your credibility. Try something that's actually true. You might get a better response.

Unfortunately, truths that suit what you want to believe are pretty hard to come by, so I can understand why you make so much of it up.

Last edited by amideislas; Sep 6th 2013 at 10:47 am.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me

But discussing food in different countries gives some an opportunity to run down their birth place once again.
Indeed, and what could be better than tucking into some pig's ear, beef cheeks, bull's tail, criadillas, callos etc. They reckon the Chinese eat anything with four legs except a table, the Spanish don't waste a lot, do they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.