Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

cost of living in spain

cost of living in spain

Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:11 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living in spain

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
so everyone thinks that 3100€ +/- per month AFTER tax would be difficult to live on ???

wow.. i really wanna visit your planet some time

ghost2006my insurance is 650€ +/- per year, but i am 24 and its a group 5 car. i know older people (45+) only paying 200€ fully comprehensive. it really depends on your age and the type of car. fuel is around €1.10 a litre. road tax uner 100€ a year.
i hope that answers some of your questions.
bfg69bug -if you are having to cough up north of 1000 pcm for rent, pay bills including plenty of overseas phone, pay for school fees, feed & clothe a family, buy & run a car, eat out and see shows AND want to spend time travelling in Spain and Europe then 3100 should be fine, but certainly not a fortune. If one is hunkered down in the campo working locally and not doing a lot else (in terms of expensive dining such as in Madrid) then it would be indeed be plenty of money.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:16 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

so everyone thinks that 3100€ +/- per month AFTER tax would be difficult to live on ???

wow.. i really wanna visit your planet some time

ghost2006my insurance is 650€ +/- per year, but i am 24 and its a group 5 car. i know older people (45+) only paying 200€ fully comprehensive. it really depends on your age and the type of car. fuel is around €1.10 a litre. road tax uner 100€ a year.
i hope that answers some of your questions.
I'm guessing though that you're a single guy with no children, right? Also, do you live in Madrid? If not you might be surprised at how expensive it can be there.
I lived in Madrid with my wife on a combined income of about 4000 euros a month AFTER tax. We lived well but not like kings. Then again, we didn't have a child to support and send to private school (which I think the OP will have to do).
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
I'm guessing though that you're a single guy with no children, right? Also, do you live in Madrid? If not you might be surprised at how expensive it can be there.
I lived in Madrid with my wife on a combined income of about 4000 euros a month AFTER tax. We lived well but not like kings. Then again, we didn't have a child to support and send to private school (which I think the OP will have to do).
no, i live on the CDS with my parents. i pay ALL the bills in my house, run TWO cars, AND i still have enough to live on. i own the house we live in. bought from the proceeds of selling the house in the uk. the house in spain has doubled in value in the last 18 months.

i never said i lived in madrid, if they want to go and live in a posh area and eat out in fancy resturants then so be it. if we go out and spend more than 50€ on a meal thats expensive to me.

based on my experience anything more than 1500 a month would be a bonus.
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 11:06 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

no, i live on the CDS with my parents. i pay ALL the bills in my house, run TWO cars, AND i still have enough to live on. i own the house we live in. bought from the proceeds of selling the house in the uk. the house in spain has doubled in value in the last 18 months.

i never said i lived in madrid, if they want to go and live in a posh area and eat out in fancy resturants then so be it. if we go out and spend more than 50€ on a meal thats expensive to me.

based on my experience anything more than 1500 a month would be a bonus.
yes bug, but as you have said in your post above - you own your property outright whereas the OP will be renting in Madrid - so that adds a further 1000 to your 1500 for decent living. If we add in a private school for the sprog we are getting up towards the 3000 pcm that the OP is asking whether it will be sufficient (i.e. a gross of 50,000pa).
Old Jul 22nd 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ghost2006
Hi,

We might be moving from Canada to Spain. Can someone tell me, is 50,000 euros enough to live comfortable in the Madrid area for two adults and a young child?

I mean not just get by, but be able to save to go on a holiday to look at other parts of Europe once a year, go to dinner , museum, movie, etc, once in a while?

Any additional comments on living in Spain would be great. The taxes do seem very high, especially compared to Canada and Australia (I'm actually an Aussie).

Many Thanks.
The one good thing is you can drive to other parts of Europe and depending on the time of year you can get some cheap flights to other parts from Madrid, even if you wanted to escape just for a weekend. How young is your child? Is s/he school age as this will have some bearing. Again depending on where you live, you can eat out reasonably. Food is quite reasonable eating in and out, again if you pick your places. Like anywhere if you follow the route of the locals money often goes further as they know where to eat, etc. Depending on where you are working and will have to travel, maybe the company you are going to in Madrid may be able also to offer some suggestions on areas. The other thing is that someone at the company may be going overseas and may have a house/appartment they would be happier to rent to you or know of someone who has. Sometimes this can help keep costs down as they may be a little bit cheaper than going through agents etc.

I opened banks and rented without credit references, in fact no references in some instances. Often you will have to give 2 or 3 months of rent up front. It also can be common to only give you 6 months or 11 months rental agreement, but I know some Spanish prefer to rent to "Foreigners" than other Spanish people. Anyway, hope this was some help to you and wish you luck.