Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Gran Canaria

Cost of living in Gran Canaria

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

John D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Gran Canaria

Hey,

I was looking for basic info on the cost of living, electric, phone, internet, food etc.

I tried searching the net but didn't find anything useful really
Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

John D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Gran Canaria

Originally Posted by John D
Hey,

I was looking for basic info on the cost of living, electric, phone, internet, food etc.

I tried searching the net but didn't find anything useful really
Thanks
Anyone able to help

Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

afega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really niceafega is just really nice

Hello, I don't live in the Canary Islands but as far as I know is similar to other parts of Spain. Only the fuel is cheaper that in the "peninsula".

Electric: for a 3 rooms apartment, +- 30 € /month
Phone: 18 € / Month (calls not included)
Internet: 25 € /month, ADSL 24 h.
Food: depends if you eat at home or always out.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

I have lived in GC for 5 years. In general, It is more expensive to live here than on the mainland.

There is very little market competition in certain industries, which means that they charge what they want. For instance, we wanted to buy a particular 4x4 last year, but only one dealer sold this model, so we had no negotiating power.

ADSL 3Mbps (the max available) costs about 41 euros plus 13 euros line rental(total 54 euros) per month. The advertised prices are only introductory offers.

Eating out is much much cheaper in Madrid (my experience).

Unemployment is highest in all of Spain and continues to rise, month on month.

House prices in the city of Las Palmas de GC are only outdone by Madrid and Barcelona (not referring to holiday accomm, more full time living for locals). Rental yields are only 2.5%.

Electricity prices are very high, but that must be true of Spain also, I guess.

Finally, the cost (in time and money) of flying anywhere is a total pain. In general, its 2 flights to go everywhere and the flights are very expensive. Low cost airlines are almost nonexistent and if they do come here, the prices are not low cost. The inter island flights are a total ripoff, again due to very little competition.

On the positive side, its a beautiful place to live, but spend your money carefully.

Any more specific questions, just ask.

Last edited by avocados; Jul 5th 2007 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Schnitzel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We're just considering moving out to GC too. The company I work for wil provide an appartment\car for the first 6 months after which I will be expected to look for my own digs.

I was particularly interested in Schooling, as we have 3 kids. I checked out some of the private schools, which seemed rather pricey. How easy is it to get kids into a state school and does anyone know of any decent letting agents?
Also, if I get paid 5000€ per month, how much am I likely to have left after taxes?

I'd be grateful for any help!

regards

nb
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

With 5000 euros per month, you will live like a king. I don't know anything about children, apart from the excellent tax benefits (the more you have, the greater the tax benefits).

the average YEARLY salary in GC is less than 15000 euros (lowest in Spain).
Unemployment is highest in all of Spain.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be the new king ?
you will be earning 5 or 6 times what most earn in Spain.

Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:21 am
Just Joined

I'm not a royalist, so I doubt I'll be a king.
How does "GOD" sound?

I just took 5000€ as an estimate. I've been asked by my boss to run the companys office on GC. More money to not work in manchester. Life is good sometimes!

Also, I've heard the island is really child friendly. Big Bonus for us, we've got three!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:37 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnitzel
I'm not a royalist, so I doubt I'll be a king.
How does "GOD" sound?

I just took 5000€ as an estimate. I've been asked by my boss to run the companys office on GC. More money to not work in manchester. Life is good sometimes!

Also, I've heard the island is really child friendly. Big Bonus for us, we've got three!
Sounds a good deal ;-))

All of Spain is very child friendly, the people are very family orientated and love kids.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Where will you be working? North or South. There is a very big difference in living standards. LP de GC in the north, is a typical spanish city. The South is more holiday oriented.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

The office is in Las Palmas. We'd like to live somewhere near there and one of the international schools. I've had a look on the interweb and found quite a few nice houses and flats. I've noticed one tends to get quite a lot of bang for the buck...
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

If renting, as a guideline, you don't need to pay more than 2.5% yield. A 3 bed apartment in LP with garage and storage room can be had for 600-700 euros per month.

Should you want a house with decent garden in a pleasant and rather affluent area, have a look at Santa Brigida (within commuting distance of city).
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:34 am
Just Joined

thanks for that! I'll take a look at santa brigida!

all i need now is a trustworthy, decent letting agent.

does anyone have any contacts??

p.s. thanks for all your help on here, seriously. whoever started this site and all the regular contributors deserve medals.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Keefer is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at Canary Forum, loads of info relevant to island life for both visitors and residents alike. Advise on where to begin sorting things out when you get here...paperwork, applications, services, general offialdom etc. Helpful knowledge and recommendations.

http://www.canaryforum.com/
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

erised is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Cost of living in Gran Canaria

Schnitzel,
Tell me if you ever went to gran canaria, the thing is that we are thinking in moving there to, but my 8year old is not sure about it, he wants to be in contact with other english children once we are there... and maybe you could advice me about jobs and life stile in general.. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.