Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living or cost of existing?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I thought I had read that Iceland is cheap now They are opening more shops.
they are cheaper than when they first opened

& some things are low priced full stop

cheddar is cheaper than in Mercadona - but of course Spanish cheese in Mercadona would be cheaper still

frozen chips are much cheaper than in Mercadona

some fresh veg is cheaper

a massive tub of butter-type margarine is cheaper than anything similar in Mercadona

if you are selective, there are real bargains to be had - but if you did all your shopping there you'd be spending much more than you need to,
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
they are cheaper than when they first opened

& some things are low priced full stop

cheddar is cheaper than in Mercadona - but of course Spanish cheese in Mercadona would be cheaper still

frozen chips are much cheaper than in Mercadona

some fresh veg is cheaper

a massive tub of butter-type margarine is cheaper than anything similar in Mercadona

if you are selective, there are real bargains to be had - but if you did all your shopping there you'd be spending much more than you need to,
Exactly.... to do the whole shop would be very expensive!
A thing to remember there too is that the offers you see of buy one get one free don't apply, you pay full price for both!
They have also been advertising the start of a loyalty card for over a year now, so far it's not happened and even the staff don't know when it will.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:33 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
People like us who are preparing to move to a new country and a new lifestyle, are concerned about moving out of our comfort zone.

Here in the UK whilst we are still earning it does not matter too much if you overspend occasionally you just tweak your budget for a few weeks.

However when you are on a fixed income with neither the desire nor the opportunity to supplement it things are quite different. Now if you overspend then it is belt tightening time until you recoup the deficit.

The reason we ask about the cost of living is so we can make a reasoned judgement as to how much slack there is in our fixed income. We do not expect to get a detailed analysis but there are a few norms that can be quoted.

Running a car for instance, petrol or diesel costs per litre, a ball park insurance figure for a family saloon, MOT charges, road fund licence. These cannot vary greatly unless you have an unusual vehicle.

The costs of a few staple foods could also be quoted.

All of these things can assist in getting a handle on whether you can live a good life or merely exist on your now fixed income

I understand that we are often accused of being offhand when faced with certain questions about cost of living and such.

I may not be the most diplomatic on here, but my intentions are good.

The two things that are highlighted, the cost of a few staple foods, I suppose this means, bread, milk, potatoes, and such.

Well as for the price of said foods, it is a bit of a non starter, how can we possibly give a price, do you want sliced bread, barra de pan, or what? but even these vary from town to town and shop to shop.

The second point is about living on a fixed income, fine, the income may be fied but the economy is moving constantly, fluctuations in exchange and prices, so what is relevant today could be way off three months from now.

So even if you get the desired answer you need, is it really useful to anyone, you are not asking the distance from Madrid to Barcelona, which is set in stone, you are asking about a fixed income in a moving economy.......

And if your decision to make the move is based on knowing that a loaf costs 1.20, if it is that close to the margin of error, I think things could go very wrong very soon, if something unforseen happens to you in Spain.

I would bet my bottom dollar, that most of the posters who already live here, never thought about the prices in such detail that the potential movers seem to expect answers to lately.

I am sure if the price of a litre of milk was so important to their budjet, most would never have made the move at all.

This is just my own opinion.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I understand that we are often accused of being offhand when faced with certain questions about cost of living and such.

I may not be the most diplomatic on here, but my intentions are good.

Originally Posted by JLFS
And if your decision to make the move is based on knowing that a loaf costs 1.20, if it is that close to the margin of error, I think things could go very wrong very soon, if something unforseen happens to you in Spain.

I would bet my bottom dollar, that most of the posters who already live here, never thought about the prices in such detail that the potential movers seem to expect answers to lately.

I am sure if the price of a litre of milk was so important to their budget, most would never have made the move at all.

This is just my own opinion.
Quite right!

As the price of basic food and utilities is such a variable and is dependent on so many outside factors, it's not something to take into consideration in making the move.
Since our move here over three years ago the value of our income because of exchange rates has been reduced by thirty percent... had the price of milk and potatoes or even electricity come into the equation then I'm sure we would have been in dire straits, as many other Brits have found themselves to be lately.
If one has to ask the price of basic commodities then one really can't afford the move in the first place.

Just my own slant on things.