Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:55 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living or cost of existing?

Your shopping costs also depend on your available time to shop and cook and whether or not you enjoy cooking.

When working full time more expensive convenience foods sometimes have to be purchased. OH and I now both work part time and as we enjoy cooking (and eating) are able to spend more time buying fresh food. We are lucky as we live in a small town with a weekly market and a monthly farmer's market and near to a large city with a huge indoor market. We are looking forward to being totally retired in Spain and being able to devote even more time to buying, preparing, cooking and eating. All part of the enjoyment for us.

Incidentally are the ingredients for Indian cooking readily available in CB North area?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Agreed, just seen on the internet a rental property here in the UK, everything included, only £3000 a month.. Cominf from something like that Spain would be very cheap..
Actually, there are suburbs of Malaga where for some properties, THAT would be cheap

Originally Posted by HBG
Our Mercadona bill also comes to around 130 Euros a week, for two fat people and two fat dogs. We like a drink as well and don’t drink rubbish.

I suppose we could halve it by scrabbling around Lidle’s and Aldi’s and buying rotting fruit and vegetables at the markets, but if it came to that we’d be heading home.
I shop at Lidl and swear by it and feel it's the same as anywhere be it Waitrose Tesco or the Co-Op: there's good stuff and bad stuff, it's up to you your eyes and your brain to work out which you choose to buy
Furthermore, Lidl is no longer cheaper across the board: be careful!

As many before me have said, it's a piece of string

Last edited by fionamw; Mar 12th 2011 at 11:29 pm. Reason: fingers are cold!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
You're shallow
sod off
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
Thanks Lynnxa, this sort of stuff is really helpful. We've opened an account online but it's a good job we don't drink Guinness as we wouldn't want to pay their price!

Thanks Mitzy as well - again I don't think we'll be buying a 2ltr 4x4, so hopefully our car costs will be cheaper than yours.
my dad pays for his own Guinness thank god - and we didn't used to buy the pre-prepared stuff, but it's easy for him & dd1 to put in the microwave for lunch when I'm at work

my weekly bill isn't always that much either - sometimes it's qute a bit under 100€, but I suppose on average it would be 110/120€ - essentially for 5 adults: me, my OH, my dad, a teen & a nearly teen
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve been thinking about our weekly shopping bill averaging 130 Euros. We’re lazy shoppers and normally go to the same Mercadona every week, buying the same things and nothing is wasted. If we didn’t buy dog food or a couple of decent bottles of wine and spirits, it would be 30 euros less, but we also buy a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables to fit with our ever-lasting diets. And the big dog, the Doberman, never stops eating.

I’ve just checked what madam is eating for breakfast, wheatabix, with small slices of peach, strawberry and kiwi fruit – it’s the diet; mine will be two boiled eggs with toast and topping. The Doberman and his much smaller mate have had a large and small bowl of expensive dog biscuits.

We’re having lamb as our Sunday treat, and that doesn’t come cheap either.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
Your shopping costs also depend on your available time to shop and cook and whether or not you enjoy cooking.

When working full time more expensive convenience foods sometimes have to be purchased. OH and I now both work part time and as we enjoy cooking (and eating) are able to spend more time buying fresh food. We are lucky as we live in a small town with a weekly market and a monthly farmer's market and near to a large city with a huge indoor market. We are looking forward to being totally retired in Spain and being able to devote even more time to buying, preparing, cooking and eating. All part of the enjoyment for us.

Incidentally are the ingredients for Indian cooking readily available in CB North area?
I think that hits the nail on the head

when I wasn't working our bills were much lower - I had time to shop around & much more tme to cook from scratch - now I even shop online whereas I used to shop every day

and the bills had to be lower simply because we couldn't afford for them to be higher!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

This thread makes a good point, that costs vary greatly depending on your lifestyle and location!

It seems quite obvious, but is important and maybe not that obvious to someone who hasnt travelled much and have always had a certain budget throughout their lives.

Over the past 5 years, we have moved from a posh part of London, to a posh part of BCN, to not such a posh part of the Costa del sol , so we've seen our living costs drop considerably and our quality of life improve, because we can afford better housing and to do a lot more things.

I was amazed by how cheap things were when we moved to the Costa del sol, just going for beers and tapas was half the price of what we got used to, but then people who are used to eating Sunday roasts for a fiver in England wont find it cheaper here.

I do feel though, that a family on 2000 euros a month here can have a dignified and comfortable life (as long as they dont have to pay for education or health care), but again I am comparing to people who earnt 3 or 4 times as much in London/Barcelona and lived in less comfort.

But then again, I have relatives in a Northern English city who earn very little (like 12-15k per year) and they live in peaceful neighbourhoods, have big houses and very comfortable lives. So just depends on where you are happy living and what expectations you have.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:20 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
This thread makes a good point, that costs vary greatly depending on your lifestyle and location!
A point I made on a number of occasions in the past and was seemingly ignored

@HBG ... when we first came here we didnt really think about it. We went shopping in Carrefour every week or so, and that was good enough for us. Then the currency exchange hit. We had our income slashed quite quickly.

We decided we didnt want to live "an existence" so we just try to be sensible. As I said, we go to Aldi or Lidl for water, yoghurts, basics really that are cheaper there. Then we go to Mercadona. It's no big deal, but I do appreciate that working people may not have the time. It's no more than we would have done in the UK had a similar event befallen us.

If the r/ex ever restores to 1.45 (which it wont) I shall be out partying
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:50 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose if you have to ask about the cost of living compared to the UK then you can't afford to move

Someone who is contemplating the move who needs to ask should do a trlal run and rent somewhere for a few months. There are a lot of hidden costs if owning your own place...always something needs doing in spanish houses. Check out the prices for DIY in B&Q and Leroy Merlin and you will see a big difference. Everything major is online even utility costs if you can be bothered to work it out.

I wouldn't move to any country in the world just to "exist". Although I could manage without fine wine and tomatoes in Barbados

Just a thought, why is it all you blokes know the price of a few potatoes etc. My OH wouldn't know in any country, he shops sometimes but it doesn't register. BTW potatoes are much cheaper in the UK
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:52 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

@HBG ... when we first came here we didnt really think about it. We went shopping in Carrefour every week or so, and that was good enough for us. Then the currency exchange hit. We had our income slashed quite quickly.

We decided we didnt want to live "an existence" so we just try to be sensible. As I said, we go to Aldi or Lidl for water, yoghurts, basics really that are cheaper there. Then we go to Mercadona. It's no big deal, but I do appreciate that working people may not have the time. It's no more than we would have done in the UK had a similar event befallen us.

When we lost 25% of our income with the pound falling, we had a careful look at our finances and decided to cut back on our holidays straight away, which wasn’t too difficult living in a holiday place to start with. With family in both Canada and Australia we decided that we couldn’t visit them as often as before, in fact we haven’t visited them since.

We’ve decided to have a holiday this year, but instead of going to Florida, we’re going to Lloret de Mar. I’ve just pinched myself, and Yes, it’s true. When the pound goes back to 1.45, we’re going to Las Vegas.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
BTW potatoes are much cheaper in the UK
Depends where you shop

3 kgs of best quality Galician potatoes in Hipercor are 4 euros (and delicious, well worth it, imo)

But 3 kgs of regular potatoes at the Friday market are 1 euro (again good vfm)

And thats the problem, how much you spend depends on what you buy and from where.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:45 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
When we lost 25% of our income with the pound falling, we had a careful look at our finances and decided to cut back on our holidays straight away, which wasn’t too difficult living in a holiday place to start with. With family in both Canada and Australia we decided that we couldn’t visit them as often as before, in fact we haven’t visited them since.

We’ve decided to have a holiday this year, but instead of going to Florida, we’re going to Lloret de Mar. I’ve just pinched myself, and Yes, it’s true. When the pound goes back to 1.45, we’re going to Las Vegas.
I think people who are moving out, should also factor in the cost of flights back home, and indeed budget for increases in the future. Some people don't have the need (or indeed desire) to constantly fly home, but others will have family or business obligations. Current flight costs could well increase substantially in the near-future if the cost of fuel keeps rising. Also, one shouldn't always rely on a local airport hosting cheap flight operators, as these tend to change over time.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Just a thought, why is it all you blokes know the price of a few potatoes etc. My OH wouldn't know in any country, he shops sometimes but it doesn't register. BTW potatoes are much cheaper in the UK
Yes, it is a bit sad, isn't it? Exciting lives they lead. Today's highlight is a trip to Aldi's. I was amazed recently when I stopped to get petrol, picked up a packet of crisps, first time for years, and was amazed to find they don't cost 20p anymore!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

When we moved here we spent the first three months living in Mijas Costa, we shopped at Euromarket and Iceland most of the time and our shopping bill was huge.
Once we bought our home inland we started shopping at Mercadona and also the shops in Alora, now our shopping costs a fraction of what it did before, usually less than 100€ for two of us and a very expensive and fussy cat.
We do call in Lidl from time to time when we are passing, they have excellent and very fresh fruit and veg but it's too far away for us to shop there regularly!
Our visits to the Iceland store are now limited to about every six weeks, it's an aladdin's cave of favourite Brit food, but you'd need to be on a very large income to shop there weekly!

We manage to live very well on our combined state and private pensions, but we don't go on expensive holidays (no need living here), and though we eat out quite often we prefer a venta to a posh restaurant!

So it's impossible to compare costs even between people living in the same area...never mind trying to do that between different countries!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I had read that Iceland is cheap now They are opening more shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.