Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living or cost of existing?

Originally Posted by JLFS
Call me shallow, but I would live the best possible and the most luxurious way I could, I would not stay in a 1000k a night hotel if paying 5000k a night would not dent my bank balance.

First class in definately teh way to go as far as I am concerned......
Fair enough, nothing wrong with that.....so to answer your question the cost of living therefore costs more for people that spend more...whether they have the money or not.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:39 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Fair enough, nothing wrong with that.....so to answer your question the cost of living therefore costs more for people that spend more...whether they have the money or not.
Yes, and it doesnt matter where you live either, there is a huge difference in spending power and cost of living, infact a varied (or nearly) as fingerprints.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and it doesnt matter where you live either, there is a huge difference in spending power and cost of living, infact a varied (or nearly) as fingerprints.
Quite right.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

People like us who are preparing to move to a new country and a new lifestyle, are concerned about moving out of our comfort zone.

Here in the UK whilst we are still earning it does not matter too much if you overspend occasionally you just tweak your budget for a few weeks.

However when you are on a fixed income with neither the desire nor the opportunity to supplement it things are quite different. Now if you overspend then it is belt tightening time until you recoup the deficit.

The reason we ask about the cost of living is so we can make a reasoned judgement as to how much slack there is in our fixed income. We do not expect to get a detailed analysis but there are a few norms that can be quoted.

Running a car for instance, petrol or diesel costs per litre, a ball park insurance figure for a family saloon, MOT charges, road fund licence. These cannot vary greatly unless you have an unusual vehicle.

The costs of a few staple foods could also be quoted.

All of these things can assist in getting a handle on whether you can live a good life or merely exist on your now fixed income
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:22 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Car insurance is a lot more expensive in Spain. My cousin and I had the same car and hers was about £200 less than mine in Spain. JFLS is correct, everyone is different, as long as a piece of string. I would say that if your electric is cheaper in Spain then it's because you are not using as much as you did in the UK. Petrol is cheaper in Spain, internet is at least double the cost in Spain...and on it goes

For basic foodstuff it is best to look at online shopping to compare as you know the things you buy most.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Running a car for instance, petrol or diesel costs per litre, a ball park insurance figure for a family saloon, MOT charges, road fund licence. These cannot vary greatly unless you have an unusual vehicle.

The costs of a few staple foods could also be quoted.

All of these things can assist in getting a handle on whether you can live a good life or merely exist on your now fixed income
Running costs for cars do vary greatly.

There is no central road tax licence as there is in the UK.

A vehicle tax is paid annually to your local Town Hall at a rate they set. Therefore the rate can be very different from one Town Hall to another for the same vehicle.

As for annual cost for running a ¨family saloon¨ how long is a bit of string?
Some people drive old bangers others brand new high end with extended warranties.

MOT´s arent needed until a car is 4 years old, many change their car so will never know the cost of an MOT (ITV).

The same with food, what are the staples and how many of them come in basic own brand up to a known brand with the corresponding price difference?

Add the sum of a piece of string to the number of contributors who either dont live or no longer live in Spain I am afraid you are never going to get much of a useful reply.

IMHO Personal, on the spot research, is everything when moving, be it within your own country or elsewhere.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:30 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier this evening, my boss sent me out to buy a couple of things we forgot with our weekly shopping, beetroot and courgettes. It was pouring with rain, but I took an umbrella for my 15-minute uphill walk to the Spanish supermarket which caters for foreigners. I walked as part of my attempt to lose weight, which also explains the beetroot and courgettes.

While walking round the Spanish supermarket I couldn’t find either item, and couldn’t ask the young Spanish cashier because of my woeful Spanish and I couldn’t think of the words for either.

I did find them eventually and slipped a couple of pork pies into the bag to extract revenge from the ogre. When I got home I hid the pies for later. The bill came to six Euros for six beetroot, three courgettes and two pork pies.

I hope I’ve answered the OP, but if I can add some extra wisdom – do not marry a cruel woman.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty

Insurance 2 ltr turbo 4x4 €460
ITV €75
Service €90 - €140 Oil / Main - Can get oil & filter change for €60
Road licence €104
44 ltrs diesel €55.20

Large Eggs x 12 - €1.15
6 Bagels 1.38
Large yoghurts €0.55
Crianza wine €2.70

That was the shopping earlier
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:45 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Insurance 2 ltr turbo 4x4 €460
ITV €75
Service €90 - €140 Oil / Main - Can get oil & filter change for €60
Road licence €104
44 ltrs diesel €55.20

Large Eggs x 12 - €1.15
6 Bagels 1.38
Large yoghurts €0.55
Crianza wine €2.70

That was the shopping earlier
Poached eggs on bagels, with yoghurt for dessert, washed down with Crianza, that's high living by anyone's standards, or were the eggs scrambled?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:55 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Best way to compare food prices is easy, open an online shopping account with one of the bige supermarkets in Spain
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:00 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Best way to compare food prices is easy, open an online shopping account with one of the bige supermarkets in Spain
this was my mercadona order today
ALIMENTACION - ALIÑOS Y CONDIMENTOS
37402 BOLSA PARA ASAR POLLO CON HIERBAS PROVENZALES, HACENDADO, CAJA 2 u - 48 g 1 UN 0,85
37403 BOLSA PARA ASAR POLLO AL AJO Y LIMON, HACENDADO, CAJA 2 u - 60 g 1 UN 0,85
Ticket Final ALIMENTACION - CEREALES
9251 CEREAL MAIZ TRIGO GOLDEN GRAHAMS, NESTLE, CAJA 450 G. 1 UN 2,59
9255 CEREAL RELLENO CHOCOLATE, HACENDADO, CAJA 500 G. 1 UN 1,59
Ticket Final ALIMENTACION - HARINAS
29100 HARINA TRIGO, ARAGONESA, PAQUETE 1 KG. 1 UN 0,37
Ticket Final ALIMENTACION - HUEVOS
31504 HUEVO GRANDE L, ., CARTON 12 u 1 UN 1,20
Ticket Final ALIMENTACION - PLATOS PREPARADOS
1140 COMIDA PREPARADA LASAÑA BOLOÑESA, MARTINEZ LORIENTE, BANDEJA 400 G 2 UN 4,50
1438 COMIDA PREPARADA MOUSAAKA, MARTINEZ LORIENTE, BANDEJA 325 g 3 UN 6,30
2224 COMIDA PREPARADA PAELLA, MARTINEZ LORIENTE, BANDEJA 325 G 3 UN 6,00
2242 COMIDA PREPARADA FIDEUA, MARTINEZ LORIENTE, BANDEJA 325 g 3 UN 6,00
Ticket Final BEBIDAS - CERVEZAS
27005 CERVEZA NEGRA (DRAFT), GUINNES, LATA 440 cc 8 UN 15,76
Ticket Final BEBIDAS - REFRESCOS
27733 GASEOSA, LA CASERA, BOTELLA PACK 2 X 1,5 L - 3 L 2 UN 2,70
Ticket Final BEBIDAS - ZUMOS Y NECTARES
39653 ZUMO TROPICAL, HACENDADO, BRICK 1 l 2 UN 1,46
Ticket Final CARNES - AVES
25054 POLLO ENTERO LIMPIO 1 UN .***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, SADA, BANDEJA 1550 g APROX. 1 UN 3,24
25109 POLLO PECHUGA ENTERA SIN HUESO, SADA, PAQUETE 1000 G APROX. 1 UN 5,29
Ticket Final CARNES - CERDO
2228 CERDO SOLOMILLO CONGELADO ENTERO ***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, MARTINEZ LORIENTE, PAQUETE 600 g APROX 2 UN 8,28
Ticket Final CARNES - ELABORADOS
2262 CARNE PICADA TERNERA BURGUER MEAT ***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, EMBUTIDOS MARTINEZ, BANDEJA 700 G. 1 UN 3,15
Ticket Final CHARCUTERIA - COCIDO
56156 FIAMBRE PECHUGA POLLO LONCHAS FINAS, HACENDADO, PAQUETE 200 G 1 UN 1,82
56158 FIAMBRE PECHUGA PAVO FINAS HIERBAS, HACENDADO, PAQUETE 200 g 1 UN 1,82
59215 JAMON COCIDO LONCHAS SANDWICH, HACENDADO, PAQUETE 250 g 2 UN 3,50
Ticket Final CHARCUTERIA - QUESOS
50428 QUESO BARRA LONCHAS EDAM 12 U., CAMPINA, PAQUETE 300 G. 1 UN 1,75
51101 QUESO UNTAR BLANCO NATURAL LIGERO ***NOVEDAD***, PHILADELPHIA, TARRINA 270 g 2 UN 3,98
Ticket Final CONGELADOS - VERDURAS
61406 PATATAS CORTE GRUESO CLASICAS CONGELADAS ***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, AGRISTO, PAQUETE 1 kg 2 UN 1,92
Ticket Final DROGUERÍA - DESECHABLES HIGIENE PERSONAL
47818 PAPEL HIGIENICO BLANCO DOBLE ROLLO, BOSQUE VERDE, PAQUETE 12 u 1 UN 3,45
Ticket Final DROGUERÍA - DETERGENTE LAVADO A MAQUINA
40440 DETERGENTE LAVADORA GEL HIGIENE ROPA COLOR Y BLANCA (TAPON AZUL OSCURO), BOSQUE VERDE, BOTELLA 2 L 22 LAVADOS 1 UN 3,79
Ticket Final DROGUERÍA - LIMPIADORES DEL HOGAR
43924 DESENGRASANTE CITRICO PISTOLA, BOSQUE VERDE, BOTELLA 750 CC. 1 UN 1,42
Ticket Final DROGUERÍA - MONOUSOS DESECHABLES
49752 BOLSA BASURA AROMA LAVANDA 55X60 CIERRE 30 L (MORADAS), BOSQUE VERDE, PAQUETE 20 U. 1 UN 1,55
Ticket Final DROGUERÍA - SUAVIZANTES / ELIMINAOLORES
40721 SUAVIZANTE ROPA CONCENTRADO NATURAL ALOE VERA (BLANCO ), BOSQUE VERDE, BOTELLA 2L 1 UN 1,60
Ticket Final FRUTAS Y VERDURAS - FRUTAS
3243 MANDARINA ***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, , MALLA 1.5 KG 1 UN 2,89
3713 FRESON ***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, , BANDEJA 500 g APROX 2 UN 3,36
3835 BANANA 5/6 PIEZAS, ., BANDEJA 700 G. 1 UN 1,09
Ticket Final HORNO Y BOLLERIA - PAN
82324 PAN MOLDE BLANCO 28 REBANADAS ESPECIAL SANDWICH ***LE RECOMENDAMOS***, HACENDADO, PAQUETE 820 g 2 UN 1,98
82329 PAN MOLDE MULTICEREALES 16 REBANADAS, HACENDADO, PAQUETE 460 g 2 UN 1,98
83801 PAN HORNEAR BAGUETTE "EL MOLINO NUEVO", EUROPASTRY, 2 u PAQUETE 250 g 4 UN 3,00
Ticket Final LACTEOS - LECHES
10137 LECHE SEMIDESNATADA, HACENDADO, BRICK PACK 6 U - 6 L 3 UN 9,36
Ticket Final NOVEDADES - ALIMENTACION
69036 PATATA LAVADA ***NOVEDAD***, LAZARO, MALLA 3 kg 1 UN 2,97
Ticket Final PERFUMERÍA - CABELLO
75695 TINTE COLORACION PERMANENTE Nº 09 RUBIO CLARO, LLONGUERAS, U. 1 UN 6,35
Ticket Final PERFUMERÍA - DESODORANTES
46066 DESODORANTE SPRAY PIEL SENSIBLE AVENA (TAPON MARRON ), DELIPLUS, BOTE 200 cc 3 UN 5,40
Totales del pedido EUROS PESETAS
SUBTOTAL 135,10 Eur. 22.479 Pts.
GASTOS DE ENVÍO 7,21 Eur. 1.200 Pts.
TOTAL 142,31 Eur. 23.679 Pts.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:19 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Thanks Lynnxa, this sort of stuff is really helpful. We've opened an account online but it's a good job we don't drink Guinness as we wouldn't want to pay their price!

Thanks Mitzy as well - again I don't think we'll be buying a 2ltr 4x4, so hopefully our car costs will be cheaper than yours.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Our Mercadona bill also comes to around 130 Euros a week, for two fat people and two fat dogs. We like a drink as well and don’t drink rubbish.

I suppose we could halve it by scrabbling around Lidle’s and Aldi’s and buying rotting fruit and vegetables at the markets, but if it came to that we’d be heading home.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Call me shallow, but I would live the best possible and the most luxurious way I could, I would not stay in a 1000k a night hotel if paying 5000k a night would not dent my bank balance.

First class in definately teh way to go as far as I am concerned......
You're shallow
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Our Mercadona bill also comes to around 130 Euros a week, for two fat people and two fat dogs. We like a drink as well and don’t drink rubbish.

I suppose we could halve it by scrabbling around Lidle’s and Aldi’s and buying rotting fruit and vegetables at the markets, but if it came to that we’d be heading home.
Well thats strange really. When we go shopping we got to Aldi or Lidl as they have some good stuff, and then we go to Mercadonna. Yes we do buy veg from the market, but its fresh ... maybe because we are in an agricultural area. Our shoping bill doesnt come to anything like €130 a week, but its not because we are scrimping.

When I'm in the UK I dont go to Safeways to shop if I can help it ... theres a lesson to be learned somewhere there I guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.