Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Cost of living or cost of existing?

Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:15 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of living or cost of existing?

Instead of hijacking another thread that is along the same lines as this one, I startted my own.

We are often asked about the cost of living in Spain. Some posters always compare it to the uK, which seems to cause some friction, amonst poster.

For me the only way to give an examle of the cost of living in Spain is compare it where the posters are right now, it is no good saying it is higher/lower, it has to be higher or lower than somehting and it is no good comparing it to Manhattan if the poster lives in Surrey.

Also what is living, if a potential mover to Spain asks about the cost of living and is told that community cahrges are 800euros a year, that can be high if he comes from a band A or whatever the lowest is, or it can be low if they are living in Wimbledon and paying 3000 quid a year.

Surely the lifestyle the preson wishes to have is ultra important in this, do they want a hughe penthouse flat, like they have in London, and will Gucci and Prada be cheaper than in Harrods.

What is seen as excesive to some is normal expenditure to others.

A meal for 2 that cost 150euros, is cheap for some, out of the question for others.

If the poster answering the questions have no idea how the person wants or hopes to live, how can they know.

So do the people who come on and ask about the cost of living, do they really want to know the cost of existing.

Does everyone want the lowest common denominator?

Ie, rent for 400, 2 gas bottles a week, cheap public transport , menu of the day 8 euros, electic 100, internet 60 euros.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:21 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living or cost of existing?

Originally Posted by JLFS
Instead of hijacking another thread that is along the same lines as this one, I startted my own.

We are often asked about the cost of living in Spain. Some posters always compare it to the uK, which seems to cause some friction, amonst poster.

For me the only way to give an examle of the cost of living in Spain is compare it where the posters are right now, it is no good saying it is higher/lower, it has to be higher or lower than somehting and it is no good comparing it to Manhattan if the poster lives in Surrey.

Also what is living, if a potential mover to Spain asks about the cost of living and is told that community cahrges are 800euros a year, that can be high if he comes from a band A or whatever the lowest is, or it can be low if they are living in Wimbledon and paying 3000 quid a year.

Surely the lifestyle the preson wishes to have is ultra important in this, do they want a hughe penthouse flat, like they have in London, and will Gucci and Prada be cheaper than in Harrods.

A meal for 2 that cost 150euros, is cheap for some, out of the question for others.

If the poster answering the questions have no idea how the person wants or hopes to live, how can they know.

So do the people who come on and ask about the cost of living, do they really want to know the cost of existing.

Ie, rent for 400, 2 gas bottles a week, cheap public transport , menu of the day 8 euros, electic 100, internet 60 euros.
eleci 100.menue of the day 8 euro.2 gas bottes a week. is it a mansion in porto banus

Last edited by betris; Mar 12th 2011 at 3:24 am.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:26 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
eleci 100.menue of the day 8 euro.2 gas bottes a week. is it a mansion in porto banus
100 a month for electricity, is that not normal? And I dont live in P Banus.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Location: Currently in the South of England but looking to move somewhere warmer
Mixer is an unknown quantity at this point

In the thread to which you're referring, I didn't ask whether the cost of living in Spain was cheaper than in the UK. I asked how much specific things cost.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

For me the only way to give an examle of the cost of living in Spain is compare it where the posters are right now,.
That's right, and even within Spain and UK charges can vary enormously. My wife has just been to a local supermarket, and the carpark belongs to the council and has always been free. Now they have decided to charge, and the locals are really fed up. This afternoon a visitor asked my wife how much it was to park. "30p, but you get that back if you spend over £10" The visitor thought it was rediculously cheap, and of course compared with lots of UK it is, but it's what you get used to. Most car parks here are 60p for 2 hours, but if I park in central Ronda, it's much more expensive, but of course then we aren't comparing like with like. Too often here people move to "el quinto pino" from large UK cities, towns etc and then say how much cheaper it is, how there is less traffic etc. There's a surprise!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mixer
In the thread to which you're referring, I didn't ask whether the cost of living in Spain was cheaper than in the UK. I asked how much specific things cost.
I was not referring to you directly, but we have ploads of threads in the same vein, and it is impossible to answer.

How can we say how much you will spend on your weekly food shop, we dont know how healthy your appetites are, the ages of the children, if your tastes are steak and marisco, or beans on toast and super noodles., there are huge differences.

Electriciy the same, it depends on if you want to cook with gas, have a tumble dryer, a hoover, or make do with a mop.
Water costs, if you are not connected to the mains, and have your own well, then you dont pay, but the electic goes up for the cost of the pump.

You maybe a family of 4, but that is no information, Elton John, partner and baby are a family of only 3, but I bet they spend more on food than you would, even though they are one person less.

I know it is an exagerrated example but, you get the drift.

If I put a question on the living costs in London, would get thousands of different answers, from a cleaner living on 15k to Cherie Blair and gang living on a few million.

That is the point I was making.............it is impossible to answer......
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, just seen on the internet a rental property here in the UK, everything included, only £3000 a month.. Cominf from something like that Spain would be very cheap..
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Agreed, just seen on the internet a rental property here in the UK, everything included, only £3000 a month.. Cominf from something like that Spain would be very cheap..
There you go, that is my point.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:46 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There you go, that is my point.
Same point as mine, how come I get a bollicking and you don`t.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Same point as mine, how come I get a bollicking and you don`t.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the cost of living means different things to different people.....it depends on your your income and your living needs.....once you have paid the essential fixed costs of life from your available income what you then have left over is your disposable income , what you do with that is a lifestyle choice.....you can spend it all, or you put some aside for a rainy day, some might spend it all and then borrow more. Some are solely living on their savings or living by using up their only savings.

I would say the choice of residence tells you how much money someone has to waste.......you can live on very little in Spain or you can live by spending a very lot......depends what makes you feel happy, and how satisfied you are with a simple life living on less.....the best way.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Yes, the cost of living means different things to different people.....it depends on your your income and your living needs.....once you have paid the essential fixed costs of life from your available income what you then have left over is your disposable income , what you do with that is a lifestyle choice.....you can spend it all, or you put some aside for a rainy day, some might spend it all and then borrow more. Some are solely living on their savings or living by using up their only savings.

I would say the choice of residence tells you how much money someone has to waste.......you can live on very little in Spain or you can live by spending a very lot......depends what makes you feel happy, and how satisfied you are with a simple life living on less.....the best way.
Too right, but how to put a figure on it, I only drive a Ferrari because I cant afford a helicopter.......
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
That's right, and even within Spain and UK charges can vary enormously. My wife has just been to a local supermarket, and the carpark belongs to the council and has always been free. Now they have decided to charge, and the locals are really fed up. This afternoon a visitor asked my wife how much it was to park. "30p, but you get that back if you spend over £10" The visitor thought it was rediculously cheap, and of course compared with lots of UK it is, but it's what you get used to. Most car parks here are 60p for 2 hours, but if I park in central Ronda, it's much more expensive, but of course then we aren't comparing like with like. Too often here people move to "el quinto pino" from large UK cities, towns etc and then say how much cheaper it is, how there is less traffic etc. There's a surprise!
What a well mannerered person you are.......I prefer the 5th.........
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Too right, but how to put a figure on it, I only drive a Ferrari because I cant afford a helicopter.......
So what you are saying is if you could afford a helicopter you would buy one......not everyone would.

If I could afford a Ferrari, would I buy one? If I could afford a villa on the coast with a large pool, would I buy one?.....not likely.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by casa del sol
So what you are saying is if you could afford a helicopter you would buy one......not everyone would.

If I could afford a Ferrari, would I buy one? If I could afford a villa on the coast with a large pool, would I buy one?.....not likely.
Call me shallow, but I would live the best possible and the most luxurious way I could, I would not stay in a 1000k a night hotel if paying 5000k a night would not dent my bank balance.

First class in definately teh way to go as far as I am concerned......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.