Cost of Living

Old Apr 28th 2022, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living

Originally Posted by bob_bob
LOL I think they must shop in the middle of London or something, so many of the prices are way out of line, way too high compared to the reality of popping into Tesco et al.

A lot depends on what you cook, if your brand dependant, home made vs read made, where you shop etc. You expect items like toms/peppers/melons/strawberries et al to be cheaper in Spain because they are grown there but you should also expect to pay top dollar for a tin of beans, pack of bacon, lump of cheddar or box of tea bags (UK sourced).

I love cooking, its a major pastime/hobby for me and are extremely fortunate in not having to worry about price hikes but be under no doubt that the massive leap in fuel/gas/electricity and food is having a major impact on low income families and the popular belief that brits living on benefits live the life of Riley is now well and truly shown to be a myth/Daily Mail fantasy.

On a more positive note, we have the young (9 and 14) grandchildren for much of the summer holidays while their parents work and this year we are doing four weeks in Spain and two on Crete, happy days
All comparisons depend upon where and when the goods were bought, its not my comparison just one I came across online. At the end of the day one has to pay what the price is where one is buying the item. Even in the same city or town there will be differences.

Last edited by bobd22; Apr 28th 2022 at 11:12 am.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
All comparisons depend upon where and when the goods were bought, its not my comparison just one I came across online. At the end of the day one has to pay what the price is where one is buying the item. Even in the same city or town there will be differences.
Agree. I guess we could dispute some of the prices quoted for Spain as well. Internet, for example, the Numbeo figure for Spain is €37.51 per month for 60mbps or more, unlimited downloads, whereas we pay only €19.90 for 300mbps, unlimited downloads, so not far off half the price quoted.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have found over the last 12 months Internet costs available in Spain have become much more competitive. I suppose it also depends on the survey audience do they switch to the more competitive service or stick with their old service, which is what they quote as cost when asked. Most of the online comparisons I have seen certainly for general shopping show Spain as cheaper. Reality is though it depends really on our personal shopping habits.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I agree with you Barriej regarding comparing the prices when you live here full time. My way of dealing with prices is to decide whether an item is worth the price to me. So if something goes up an enormous amount I think about an alternative or whether the increase does not really matter in the scheme of things because I am not willing to live without it. I have been sat here trying to think about my food shopping to evaluate the extent that it contains UK products and the only thing that I can think of is my tea bags that I buy from Mercadona.

Rosemary
That's the way we tend to look at it Rosemary. Totally agree re tea one thing that I insist on is English tea bags PG Tips or Tetley, I'm afraid Spanish tea is simply too weak from my experience. It's OK for making lemon tea but not for a proper cuppa. My wife is happy with Spanish tea bags as she literally just likes the water coloured but myself I like my tea really strong and well brewed. At a Spanish class one time which was made up of myself, Germans Eastern Europeans Chinese and of course Spanish teacher, they asked if I put milk in tea I said of course but not too much. They all pulled a face of disgust at the thought of milk in tea.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way we tend to look at it Rosemary. Totally agree re tea one thing that I insist on is English tea bags PG Tips or Tetley, I'm afraid Spanish tea is simply too weak from my experience. It's OK for making lemon tea but not for a proper cuppa. My wife is happy with Spanish tea bags as she literally just likes the water coloured but myself I like my tea really strong and well brewed. At a Spanish class one time which was made up of myself, Germans Eastern Europeans Chinese and of course Spanish teacher, they asked if I put milk in tea I said of course but not too much. They all pulled a face of disgust at the thought of milk in tea.
Those Germans were not from Ostfriesland then. They often drink black tea with cream and Kluntje and in general milk is accepted there too:-). You do find a lot of people in other parts of Germany who have never tried black tea and for them tea is often just herbal & fruit, so maybe that's why they pulled a face of disgust.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

A few months ago we ordered a huge bag of Yorkshire Tea bags from Russells in Torrox Costa, they were €35 for 1,040 which was expensive but cheaper than buying the same amount in small boxes. That's more than a year's supply for us as we don't often have more than 1 cup per day each, but should be one small hedge against inflation at least!
Old Apr 28th 2022, 2:20 pm
Banned

LarryR is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently brought back 1,040 Yorkshire tea bags from the U.K which cost me just over £14 and was sent two mugs as a freebie which was nice, so well sorted for a while
Old Apr 28th 2022, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily we have a subsidy of the british pound shop here in the Valencia region - Dealz with offers P&G tips and Yorkshire tea bags (500 pack @ €5) and tetley at €1,50.

Plus, every Consum, Carrefour or mercadonna have P&G tips normal sized box for €1,75...

English tea bags are not hard to find. No need to order online..
Old Apr 28th 2022, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lynn R
A few months ago we ordered a huge bag of Yorkshire Tea bags from Russells in Torrox Costa, they were €35 for 1,040 which was expensive but cheaper than buying the same amount in small boxes. That's more than a year's supply for us as we don't often have more than 1 cup per day each, but should be one small hedge against inflation at least!
We visit Russell's every now and again. Its handy when there's something British you have a craving for. Me it's pork pies as a treat. We got a large box of tea bags a while ago which kept us going. Mind as others say not difficult to get PG Tips or Tetleys and Yorkshire Tea bags elsewhere Mercadona etc. Has anyone actually found a local Spanish tea that is decent strength? I haven't.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Could not agree more, in the late '80s I was based in Madrid every year the UK HQ would send me a Cost of Living survey to complete - cost of hundreds of items. Always used to inflate the answers a bit as I reckoned my local salary was calculated using such data .
Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Those Germans were not from Ostfriesland then. They often drink black tea with cream and Kluntje and in general milk is accepted there too:-). You do find a lot of people in other parts of Germany who have never tried black tea and for them tea is often just herbal & fruit, so maybe that's why they pulled a face of disgust.
I did two tours in Germany in the military one early 70s and other early 80s. Other than on camp I don't remember having tea rather it was very strong coffee or beer.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

I did two tours in Germany in the military one early 70s and other early 80s. Other than on camp I don't remember having tea rather it was very strong coffee or beer.
I worked for a German firm from 1999 to 2007 and tea for them was just black no milk.
I commented once and there was cream with the tea next time.

Never bothered to ask again just got on with black tea. Same thing in Holland and Belgium...

When in Rome do as the Romans do.... sort of thing

And talking of Italy.
My last employer was an Italian firm, always asked me if I wanted milk with my tea when we visited to demo or PDI machines before shipping.
I only drank coffee there as it was so good, even out of a vending machine...

As to Uk tea bags, Dealz had a good offer last week on PG tips, Iceland (ok overseas shop) in Benidorm usually has the odd offer or two.
We find Mendoza's to be pretty good as well.

We don't get regular visitors so I don't ask them to bring stuff to be honest.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
As to Uk tea bags, Dealz had a good offer last week on PG tips, Iceland (ok overseas shop) in Benidorm usually has the odd offer or two.
We find Mendoza's to be pretty good as well.
We don't get regular visitors so I don't ask them to bring stuff to be honest.
Regular English-brand tea bags are widely available at a price not very different from what you pay in UK, such as a bag of 80 tea bags for 2.50 euro. It's the price of decaffeinated tea that is expensive, often 4.50 euro, when in UK the two versions are sold at similar prices. And decaf is often out of stock.
Old Apr 29th 2022, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of tea bags, has anyone found Barry's tea bags in Spain? I have a regular supply from an Irish friend but I would like to get my own as he never lets me pay him.

If you've never tried them, give it a go. It's so strong you could probably make 3 cups with one bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.