British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Cost of living (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/cost-living-685781/)

labus Sep 17th 2010 12:16 am

Cost of living

Hi,

Is it realistic for a retired couple to live on 1300 euro/month provided they own a house?

bil8999 Sep 17th 2010 6:22 am

Re: Cost of living

Yes at the moment

pwwm Sep 17th 2010 7:38 am

We live on less than that, it depends what you want, we dont drink, but we do go out and about. run two cars and scuba dive. We do not have mortgage, dont usually need much heating in the winter where we are, we are given fire wood by neighbours should we want any, so yes we easily live within that.:thumbup:

SueG Sep 17th 2010 7:39 am

Originally Posted by labus (Post 8854201)
Hi,

Is it realistic for a retired couple to live on 1300 euro/month provided they own a house?

If only I had that much:(

cymruambyth Sep 17th 2010 7:58 am

We retired here on much less than that and get by easily - depends on where you live and what you want I suppose. We have no mortgage, small car, don't drink too much, go out maybe a couple of times a months, back to the UK possibly twice a year, need logs in the winter, no air con in the summer, electric bill is about 35euro a month, gas (12.50euro a bottle yesterday) for hot water and cooking lasts about a month, oh yes and community fee is just 51.70euro a year! ....... love it and wouldn't change anything:)

Mitzyboy Sep 17th 2010 9:09 am

From what I read on here about cost of living, it depends a lot on where you are going to live. In the CDS it seems a lot more expensive than, say, the CB North.

Up here, yes, €1300 is doable .... it's the odd unexpected costs that might catch you out now and again such as a repair or a serious car cost

cricketman Sep 17th 2010 9:21 am

I think 1300 euros per month after paying rent/mortgage and of course tax, is extremely doable.

Most people in Spain or even in the UK live on much less than that.

labus Sep 17th 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks a lot everybody for the contribution.

Could you mention please the city you live in that makes the 1300 euros affordable?
I am aware that Madrid, Barcelona and other big ones are not going to fit.

And can I dare to ask the break down of the costs for:
-food
-car insurance (I noticed as tourist that lots of cars have dents, scratches)
-house insurance
-property taxes
-electricity
-heating (gas)
-airconditioning
-home insurance
-internet
-telephone

We are early retired without a pension for the next 10 years (but self-sufficient) and I was wondering if anybody in the same situation is voluntarely contributing to the spanish health care system, if possible.

steviedeluxe Sep 17th 2010 1:50 pm

Could you mention please the city you live in that makes the 1300 euros affordable?
I am aware that Madrid, Barcelona and other big ones are not going to fit.
If, as mentioned in the first post, you own your property, I would suggest that Madrid is very affordable as the public transport is so good (and relatively cheap). Of course it assumes that you don't run a car, but a car is a bit of a hindrance in a big city anyway. I'm assuming you know how to cook though, as obviously costs rise if you are dependent on eating out every day and/or paying for imported UK brands. Same if you like a drink - a glass of tinto and a natter (in Spanish) may set you back 1.20 in the local tapas bar; however if you absolutely must have a pint of Guinness or a G&T in the Irish pub or "bar de copas" then expect to pay 5 Euros+ a drink. Madrid's a bit like London in this respect - yes the unwary can pay more (especially a tourist insisting on sitting on a terrace in the Plaza Mayor) but there are plenty of far cheaper places.

HBG Sep 17th 2010 2:21 pm

Sitting on a terrace in Plaza Mayor? I would be prepared to pay double their already high prices just for the pleasure of sitting there again. I think that if you can’t feel the weight of history there, you’re already dead. Don’t they keep cleaning one of the walls there and blood keeps re-appearing (I hope Bil doesn’t read this)? Another visit is long overdue.

If you own a house and car, £1,300 a month is ample to live on.

steviedeluxe Sep 17th 2010 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8855358)
Sitting on a terrace in Plaza Mayor? I would be prepared to pay double their already high prices just for the pleasure of sitting there again. I think that if you can’t feel the weight of history there, you’re already dead. Don’t they keep cleaning one of the walls there and blood keeps re-appearing (I hope Bil doesn’t read this)? Another visit is long overdue.

Most of Madrid isn't that old historically. If you really want to "feel the weight of history" better to take the AVE to Toledo, or (better still) head to Segovia and dine underneath the Roman Acqueduct.

HBG Sep 17th 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks for the tips, Stevie. I’ve been fortunate enough to have travelled a little. I’ve felt a deep sense of history in only a tiny few of them.

I can recall a little visited castle in Scotland, and surprisingly, the brand new Tate gallery in Sydney, but neither came close to Plaza Mayor.

steviedeluxe Sep 17th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8855473)
Thanks for the tips, Stevie. I’ve been fortunate enough to have travelled a little. I’ve felt a deep sense of history in only a tiny few of them.

I can recall a little visited castle in Scotland, and surprisingly, the brand new Tate gallery in Sydney, but neither came close to Plaza Mayor.

Not trying to imply anything about your travelling history!

The best Plaza mayor in Spain is held by many to be the one in Salamanca. To be honest I prefer ones in smaller towns, but that's just me.

whitelinen Sep 17th 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8855358)

The OP says 1300 euros per month which is not enough for city or urbanisation living with the associated higher IBI for instance and community community fees.

Water and electric charges are rising all the time, insurances plus private health care, phones and internet, dentist, repairs and renewals (nothing lasts for ever) Sky subscription. Not to mention paying translators, they dont come cheap.

labus Sep 17th 2010 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8855257)
If, as mentioned in the first post, you own your property, I would suggest that Madrid is very affordable as the public transport is so good (and relatively cheap). Of course it assumes that you don't run a car, but a car is a bit of a hindrance in a big city anyway. I'm assuming you know how to cook though, as obviously costs rise if you are dependent on eating out every day and/or paying for imported UK brands. Same if you like a drink - a glass of tinto and a natter (in Spanish) may set you back 1.20 in the local tapas bar; however if you absolutely must have a pint of Guinness or a G&T in the Irish pub or "bar de copas" then expect to pay 5 Euros+ a drink. Madrid's a bit like London in this respect - yes the unwary can pay more (especially a tourist insisting on sitting on a terrace in the Plaza Mayor) but there are plenty of far cheaper places.

Yes, if we move to Spain we will buy a house. We don't intend to eat out, only ocasionally go out for a coffee. And I would not go for Madrid or Barcelona, they are expensive. We would like to have a car to travel.
So for the food I am interested in the day by day groceries. We've been to Spain as tourists and we ate only in restaurants, so we don't have any ideea how much food will be as residents.