Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of living?

Cost of living?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living?

Originally Posted by paris hilton
Broadband package with telefonica+phone 39.90 euros per month Unlimited free National calls in Spain when you order ADSL Home. Adsl home gives you speeds upto 1mb per second and unlimited use.,otherwise phone 15.64 euros per month+call charges.
http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

paris
Its a different company from Telefonica and there have been threads about them before, good and bad reports.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 12:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Its a different company from Telefonica and there have been threads about them before, good and bad reports.
Mostly bad
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Bopsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScotinSpain
Tim, if you are referring to my post of about a year to 18 months ago, here it is. My costs have actually gone down , largely due to a new(ish!) diesel car and the installation of ceiling fans to drastically reduce the air con costs in summer. I put these figures here to help others considering a move out here, not to stasrt a debate on 'how the heck do you spend x on y, I only spend z.......' Also note that inflation is creaping up year on year here in Spain .

There have been two or three threads recently on an Andalucian Message Board about the cost of retiring out here for a couple and the general consensus was that £12,000 net per annum was about right. We are also in our mid 50s without children to support and no mortgage and live on the Coast near Estepona. We run one car but do have a full sky TV package, ADSL 24/7 broadband Internet access and a BUPA derivative medical insurance, called SANITAS, (you will need private medical insurance out here as you are not in receipt of a UK age related pension thus not eligible for Spanish medical support). We also drink and smoke, which is much cheaper than UK particularly with Duty Free in Gibraltar, but you may save some here.

You could remove some of these (internet, Sky TV etc.) to reduce the cost.

As an indication these are our annual bills:

Electricity 1,500€
Health Ins (inc. Dental) 1,650€
Town Hall 'Rates' 765€
Urb. Fees 1,500€
Telephone 900€ (inc 480€ Internet ADSL)
Sky TV 720€
Car Insurance 410€
House & Contents ins. 300€
'Wealth' Tax 535€
Water (metered here) 175€
Car Tax 45€
Food, Drink, Petrol etc. 7,000€

As you can see this comes to about 15,500€ which equals £10,300 at current rates leaving £1,700 for entertainment, emergencies, holidays etc.

This is obviously only a guide but you can make adjustments. I estimate living out here saves about 30% on living in UK, the weather, people, friendliness are so much better. Inflation is about 2 2/1 - 3 % annually so a reasonable pension should keep up with this.

Hope this helps. We've been here 15 months and NEVER looked back!
That's very helpful, Thanks for sharing this with us. We should be ok, we don't drink or smoke but we do eat like a horse!!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Bopsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScotinSpain
Tim, if you are referring to my post of about a year to 18 months ago, here it is. My costs have actually gone down , largely due to a new(ish!) diesel car and the installation of ceiling fans to drastically reduce the air con costs in summer. I put these figures here to help others considering a move out here, not to stasrt a debate on 'how the heck do you spend x on y, I only spend z.......' Also note that inflation is creaping up year on year here in Spain .

There have been two or three threads recently on an Andalucian Message Board about the cost of retiring out here for a couple and the general consensus was that £12,000 net per annum was about right. We are also in our mid 50s without children to support and no mortgage and live on the Coast near Estepona. We run one car but do have a full sky TV package, ADSL 24/7 broadband Internet access and a BUPA derivative medical insurance, called SANITAS, (you will need private medical insurance out here as you are not in receipt of a UK age related pension thus not eligible for Spanish medical support). We also drink and smoke, which is much cheaper than UK particularly with Duty Free in Gibraltar, but you may save some here.

You could remove some of these (internet, Sky TV etc.) to reduce the cost.

As an indication these are our annual bills:

Electricity 1,500€
Health Ins (inc. Dental) 1,650€
Town Hall 'Rates' 765€
Urb. Fees 1,500€
Telephone 900€ (inc 480€ Internet ADSL)
Sky TV 720€
Car Insurance 410€
House & Contents ins. 300€
'Wealth' Tax 535€
Water (metered here) 175€
Car Tax 45€
Food, Drink, Petrol etc. 7,000€

As you can see this comes to about 15,500€ which equals £10,300 at current rates leaving £1,700 for entertainment, emergencies, holidays etc.

This is obviously only a guide but you can make adjustments. I estimate living out here saves about 30% on living in UK, the weather, people, friendliness are so much better. Inflation is about 2 2/1 - 3 % annually so a reasonable pension should keep up with this.

Hope this helps. We've been here 15 months and NEVER looked back!
Hi There, what is wealth tax?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 2:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Broadband package with telefonica+phone 39.90 euros per month Unlimited free National calls in Spain when you order ADSL Home. Adsl home gives you speeds upto 1mb per second and unlimited use.,otherwise phone 15.64 euros per month+call charges.
http://www.telefonicainenglish.com/

paris
Best thing to get on line with Telefonica is to go into a shop and order it there, telefonica in English are not telefonica, but only act as agents. You can always speak to telefonica by phoning 1004 and asking for an English speaking customer care person. We had problems with telefonica, telefonica in English couldn't help, but ringing 1004 sorted it out, you can also e mail them on
[email protected]
e mail in English and you will get a reply and get excellent service that way.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bopsy
Hi There, what is wealth tax?
Its a tax you pay as a resident on your worldwide wealth, i.e. all assets, bank accounts, investments. Payable at the same time you lodge your tax return on form 714. There are allowances however. A Spanish resident pays nothing on the first E 108182 value of assets. Also a further exemption of E 150253 for the principal residence.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its a tax you pay as a resident on your worldwide wealth, i.e. all assets, bank accounts, investments. Payable at the same time you lodge your tax return on form 714. There are allowances however. A Spanish resident pays nothing on the first E 108182 value of assets. Also a further exemption of E 150253 for the principal residence.
So if you are living in spain and you are a resident and have these tax exemptions correct?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:47 pm
Senior Moment

So if you are living in spain and you are a resident and have these tax exemptions correct?

Correct, if you are a Spanish resident you have those exemptions ... If you are a non resident then you don't pay wealth tax, but you should be paying a tax on your property as if you own a home there the government assumes you are letting it out ( ) but thats a whole new can of worms
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Sir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond reputeSir John has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, if you are a Spanish resident you have those exemptions ... If you are a non resident then you don't pay wealth tax, but you should be paying a tax on your property as if you own a home there the government assumes you are letting it out ( ) but thats a whole new can of worms
thanks for clearing that up for me,with all the taxes and charges being have to be paid wonder if i'll end up broke at the end of it! :scared:

paris
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Non residents do pay wealth tax, but only on their assets in Spain (ie their house.) but with none of the exemptions that a resident gets.

As you rightly say, they pay a notional "letting" tax even if it is not actually let out. It is paid as income tax at a flat rate of 25% based on an assumed income of 2% of the catastral value.

If the property is actually let out then Spanish income tax is payable on the rental income with few of the deductions that a resident would get.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Non residents do pay wealth tax, but only on their assets in Spain (ie their house.) but with none of the exemptions that a resident gets.

As you rightly say, they pay a notional "letting" tax even if it is not actually let out. It is paid as income tax at a flat rate of 25% based on an assumed income of 2% of the catastral value.

If the property is actually let out then Spanish income tax is payable on the rental income with few of the deductions that a resident would get.
hi fred so as i am going to ne living permantly in spainsoon i wil be entitled to the exemptions?

paris
Old Aug 21st 2006, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

macanna is an unknown quantity at this point

hi fred so as i am going to ne living permantly in spainsoon i wil be entitled to the exemptions?

paris
I would appreciate a link to the Hacienda ( income tax) website in english, which I have been told is very informative.
Regards, macanna
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macanna
I would appreciate a link to the Hacienda ( income tax) website in english, which I have been told is very informative.
Regards, macanna
Go to http://www.aeat.es/ and select No Residents on the left hand side.

You can then select English by clicking on the Union flag.

All with then be revealed
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:09 pm

paris
Yes, once you live permanently in Spain (over 183 days in one calendar year) you will be tax resident and be able to claim these allowances.

You will also become liable to pay Spanish income tax on your world wide income.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 5:19 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thanks for putting me right on that Fred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.