Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of electricityIt has been announced that in July the cost will rise by 10%. That

Cost of electricityIt has been announced that in July the cost will rise by 10%. That

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of electricityIt has been announced that in July the cost will rise by 10%.

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Reading back it seems that not many people are concerned at all....... preferring to waffle on about climate change etc etc.

This does nothing to ease the burden for the here and now.
What's the point of moaning about something you can do very little about?

Surest way to live a miserable life!

If you want to cut back on electricity then get rid of your TV and air conditioning and use solar panel for heating water and gas for cooking. You'll soon have very low electricity bills
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 2:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of electricityIt has been announced that in July the cost will rise by 10%.

Originally Posted by cricketman

If you want to cut back on electricity then get rid of your TV and air conditioning and use solar panel for heating water and gas for cooking. You'll soon have very low electricity bills
Some good, practicle advice there, I am sure whitelinen will be most grateful, and be kicking themselves that they did not think of it before posting...

Nice one....
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman

CMan...............Unlike you I care about those less fortunate than myself........ I am not moaning about my own bills because I can afford to pay even if it doubles or trebles what it is today....... as for telling anyone to turn off their heating or cooking dont you realise just how ludicrous/nasty/stupid you sound ?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 7:43 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

CMan...............Unlike you I care about those less fortunate than myself........ I am not moaning about my own bills because I can afford to pay even if it doubles or trebles what it is today....... as for telling anyone to turn off their heating or cooking dont you realise just how ludicrous/nasty/stupid you sound ?
Surely he isn't saying that. He's just saying that gas is cheaper to cook on than electricity, and solar heated water is cheaper than electrically heated water, both of which are true, but I think that the real error there is that in order to get solar heated water you need to invest a lot of money that then will take a few years to repay.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 8:41 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Surely he isn't saying that. He's just saying that gas is cheaper to cook on than electricity, and solar heated water is cheaper than electrically heated water, both of which are true, but I think that the real error there is that in order to get solar heated water you need to invest a lot of money that then will take a few years to repay.
... plus, if you've already got an electric hob and an electric oven installed, to replace them with gas is quite expensive.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 11:10 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... plus, if you've already got an electric hob and an electric oven installed, to replace them with gas is quite expensive.
Yeah, that's the tragedy of course that you can't save money like that unless you have money to invest.

Plus of course, the payback period can be very long.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
I don't think it will take a long time to get your money back as my neighbors got theirs installed for just over 1K euros to get solar.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Our electricity works out to around 60 euro bi-monthly, not bad?
Actually its appalling, we visit a week at a time every 8 weeks, the rest of the time the house is empty and the only thing running is the fridge/freezer unit.

We used to be able to tell our heavy usage periods when the bill was incorporated into the bank statements, nowadays all we see is the amount taken from the bank account, we don't have a bill at all, the company stopped supplying it, and neither do we have access to the suppliers website to check ( they don't have one!)
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:38 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I don't think it will take a long time to get your money back as my neighbors got theirs installed for just over 1K euros to get solar.
Furry nuff. But, let's look at bills and how much will be saved. Ours in more normal times (ie a lot less watering) is about 60 - 70 a month. Ok, so what % of that will be down to heating the water? F knows. Lets say 30 euros a month for hot water. Plus, let's say that it will only supply for 10 months in the year. That's 300 a year saved, so it will take 3.3years to amortise, etc etc plus what you would lose to interest or have to pay if you borrowed it, and I think it would be closer to 4 or 5 years in real terms.

I'm not saying that it isn't worth it, just that it takes time to get it back as it were. Obviously a 2K system, which is what I saw quoted somewhere would take a LOT longer.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:22 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Reading back it seems that not many people are concerned at all....... preferring to waffle on about climate change etc etc.

This does nothing to ease the burden for the here and now.

Ive never met anyone who pays 40 euros every 2 months for their electricity.

I dont use bottled gas.
We don't use bottled gas either...we have a 2000Litre underground tank for our gas! The price still goes up though.