COST OF DRUGS

Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:12 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COST OF DRUGS

Originally Posted by beverleyp
I've pawsed for thought to answer this one but in desperation have decided to call off the dogs. Help anyone?!
Are you a WAG?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:20 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am a Diabetic and would like to know the cost of the following medication please if anyone uses them:

Simvastatin
Ramipril
Felopodene
Metformin
Aspirin

Thanks for any help with this.
Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I buy Ramipril 2.5mg (for my dog!) over the counter at the farmacía and it's 4€ for a packet of 28.
Ramipril is also sold under the name of Tritace in France and Spain Look for the Generic versions of the medications just as effective but generally cheeper.

Simvastatin

Ramipril

Felopodene ? Did you mean Feldene Used for Arthritis as it is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

Metformin

Aspirin Baby Asprin powder sold under the name kardegic cheap as chips

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Feb 16th 2010 at 9:24 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 9:21 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you a WAG?

Can´t remember the cost of drugs but I remember being suprised at them letting me walk in and buy insulin over the counter for my ex. without a prescription.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I've pawsed for thought to answer this one but in desperation have decided to call off the dogs. Help anyone?!
I used to get some of my meds of the Vet at farmers prices,(a fraction of Chemists prices back then),and identical to those I used on the livestock at the time, and also identical to those prescribed by my Doc.
Often used to joke about it with them, as they knew I used them to save myself quite a few quid.
Also got a few funny looks going through customs, as they were marked "for animal treatment only",..but even they saw the funny side of it at that time.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:45 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here the cost of branded veterinary drugs here is ridiculous.
My vet prescribed Vasotop which is just ramipril under a brand name for veterinary use...19€ for a months supply! Whilst I don't begrudge paying whatever to keep my dog healthy, it seems a bit ridiculous when the exact same generic drug is available (for human use) at 4€ per month´s supply.
The vet wouldn't confirm or deny that I could use a non-vet drug, so I just researched on t'internet, put her on the vet med for 1 month then swapped to the generic one...monitored her and she was fine.
All farmacias will search on their computers to find you an alternative equivalent.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:33 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

My vet prescribed Vasotop which is just ramipril under a brand name for veterinary use...19€ for a months supply! Whilst I don't begrudge paying whatever to keep my dog healthy, it seems a bit ridiculous when the exact same generic drug is available (for human use) at 4€ per month´s supply.
The vet wouldn't confirm or deny that I could use a non-vet drug, so I just researched on t'internet, put her on the vet med for 1 month then swapped to the generic one...monitored her and she was fine.
All farmacias will search on their computers to find you an alternative equivalent.
Although on the surface Vasotop appears to be good old fashioned Ramipril the Chemical formula that allows the enzyme conversion may be compounded in different quantities, Thus 2,5 Mg of veterinary use only will not have the equal enzyme converting ability as the 2,5 Mg Human consumption medication. Giving an animal human medication could intoxicate it and were ace inhibitors are concerned this could lead to coronary failure.

Also Ramipril has quite a large impact on the kidneys even in humans, Human strength medication could lead to kidney failure in a pet.

The Mg scale does not cross medications.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Feb 17th 2010 at 9:39 am.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 12:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Always used to be a big difference between pet/vet prices and farmer/vet prices, for all they were often the same company.

Remember when my local vet set up a pet practice.
She often had a good laugh about it.
Give them of bottle of pills,tell them what a nice doggy they have,then send them on their way with a big fat bill,.....money for old rope she used to say,...though she still much prefered the rough and tumble of farm practice to the pet surgery, and usually let newly qualified, fresh out of college vets deal with that side of things.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Can you buy Simvastatin (or it's equivalent) over the counter without a doctors presciption in Spain?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am a Diabetic and would like to know the cost of the following medication please if anyone uses them:

Simvastatin
Ramipril
Felopodene
Metformin
Aspirin

Thanks for any help with this.
Hi. My husband takes Metformin. It's around just 3 euros a box.
Just walk into your farmacia and ask.
For information Asthma sufferers:-
I take Ventolin and it's anything between 3.75 and 4.75 an inhaler here which is a lot less than an UK prescription. On the other hand Becotide is more expensive.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

My wife would like to know if her thyroid medications are available over the counter as well, does anyone know??

Thyroxin
Perindopril

Since being diagnosed with underactive thyroid it could throw our plans to retire early and move fully to Spain into disarray. If we can purchase over the counter it would simplify things greatly.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
My wife would like to know if her thyroid medications are available over the counter as well, does anyone know??

Thyroxin
Perindopril

Since being diagnosed with underactive thyroid it could throw our plans to retire early and move fully to Spain into disarray. If we can purchase over the counter it would simplify things greatly.
Just take your packets in and ask:-) Or if you aren't currently in Spain ask a friend who is!:-)
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee

Thyroxin
Perindopril

Hi

Last time I was in spain which was in 2007. I take thyroxine and I was able to get over the counter. However you will still need to go to the doctors for your regular blood tests. Still need to know about the asthma inhalers if anyone can give me an idea if these can also be bought over the counter?
xx
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbad
Hi

Last time I was in spain which was in 2007. I take thyroxine and I was able to get over the counter. However you will still need to go to the doctors for your regular blood tests. Still need to know about the asthma inhalers if anyone can give me an idea if these can also be bought over the counter?
xx
Post 24
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Post 24
I got side tracked then forgot when i was writing my reply lol.