Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of car insurance ?

Cost of car insurance ?

Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:06 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Cost of car insurance ?

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me how much car insurance costs in Spain please?
Old Feb 20th 2007, 7:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of car insurance ?

Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Hi all,
Like the UK, it depends on your UK no claims, the type and size of car and the age/s of the driver/s, but remember that ALL Spanish car insurance HAS to include breakdown cover by law, and that even includes such things as getting you keys out of the car you have just locked them in, (no didn't happen to me, but to a friend, but I was a passenger in the car) so no need for automobile rescue companies.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

culchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really niceculchie is just really nice

Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
Hi all,
This is what I pay for my car insurance:-
340.00 euros p.a.
That´s fully comprehensive on a 2 litre diesel estate car about 5 years old. I have a clean licence and am, alas, no longer in the age group that attracts a higher premium.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 2:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We have two, or did, now one, each were about 400€ F/C inc breakdown and glass etc.
In Spain its the car that is insured not the driver as in UK.
The cars are insured for any driver over 30, you can insure younger but excess is added for when they drive.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
ALL Spanish car insurance HAS to include breakdown cover by law, and that even includes such things as getting you keys out of the car you have just locked them in,
This is interesting. I was recently quoted for "Comprehensive" - OR -- "Comprehensive with roadside assistance (Spain only) and legal protection". The difference in Quote was €60. So why quote the so called breakdown cover as an extra. Don't gettit
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:41 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost of car insurance ?

Sorry all, it was early hours when I posted thread and forgot to include details. My husband is 58 (well at least for another week he is Ha Ha) clean licence. I am 54 one speedo (driving in excess of 30mph AKA public enemy number one!) We both have full no claims bonus. Our car is a Honda CRV 2.0 (I think) petrol, automatic. Car is about 19 months old.
While on the subject of cars, I understand that the car will need to be registered in Spain. Is it expensive? I have been looking at car prices in Spain, and wonder if it would be cheaper to sell car here, and purchase a new one out there. Any problem getting parts on RHD, more expensive?
If we did get a new car, is there generally a wait for delivery? if so how long is it likely to be?
Sorry about the inquisition of the non Spanish variety, but I have about a thousand questions going through my mind at the moment. Don't laugh, but we haven't even sold our house here yet! Well, no point in leaving it to the last minute is it?
ALSO, we are bringing our dog with us, so checked on channel tunnel website for info. Looks like about £30 to bring him back (wont need that option) but no price quoted for taking him out there. Do they charge per vehicle/per person? He has his passport, been micro chipped and had rabbies shot and blood test confirming ok.
I would be really gratefull for information and advise on any of the above questions.Thanks so far for the info. Didn't know insurance had to include breakdown. So far, prices quoted above look reasonable. Thanks guys .
Old Feb 20th 2007, 9:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in the top thread.....
It includes these helpful sites HERE and HERE and a lot more........
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:44 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

Thanks for the links JDR. I have read most of the information and the new car option is looking pretty good at the moment!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:01 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We are planning to travel via the tunnel with cats. As far as we can establish there is no charge for taking pets, only when bringing them back into the country. The price is per vehicle with as many passengers as you like.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 10:34 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

Smile Re: Cost of car insurance ?

Thanks Lionda !
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Like the UK, it depends on your UK no claims, the type and size of car and the age/s of the driver/s, but remember that ALL Spanish car insurance HAS to include breakdown cover by law, and that even includes such things as getting you keys out of the car you have just locked them in, (no didn't happen to me, but to a friend, but I was a passenger in the car) so no need for automobile rescue companies.
You seem to say the same as others have said in the past re. breakdown cover, but reading the link at the top of forum page , the one that goes to the british in Spain website, it says there that roadside /breakdown assistance is an add on option.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jonsol View Post
You seem to say the same as others have said in the past re. breakdown cover, but reading the link at the top of forum page , the one that goes to the british in Spain website, it says there that roadside /breakdown assistance is an add on option.
It is an add on option, but a very useful and inexpensive one.
If your car breaks down, you must get a grua to move it as soon as possible and it so much easier just phoning a special breakdown number, knowing they will deal with it for you as soon as they can.
I bet an individual grua callout after all the hassle would be more expensive also.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda View Post
We are planning to travel via the tunnel with cats. As far as we can establish there is no charge for taking pets, only when bringing them back into the country. The price is per vehicle with as many passengers as you like.

Not so I'm afraid .... theres a £30 charge for cats, and when we went through we were checked.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:02 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
Not so I'm afraid .... theres a £30 charge for cats, and when we went through we were checked.

According to the eurotunnel website the £30 charge is only coming into the UK from France.....

Pet travel costs to bring your pet back into the UK

Dog cats and ferrets
£30 (€46) per animal (direction from France to UK only).
Registered guide dogs travel free of charge.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda View Post
According to the eurotunnel website the £30 charge is only coming into the UK from France.....

Pet travel costs to bring your pet back into the UK

Dog cats and ferrets
£30 (€46) per animal (direction from France to UK only).
Registered guide dogs travel free of charge.

Dunno then, very strange ... as I say, we had to pay when we went out. Maybe I was done over by Eurotunnel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.