British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   correct grammar and punctuation plea (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/correct-grammar-punctuation-plea-427484/)

culchie Feb 17th 2007 11:43 pm

correct grammar and punctuation plea

You might all hate me for this but please please could we try harder in the spelling, punctuation and grammar department?

I find it very difficult to take any post seriously when it lacks the grace that is inherent in the English language.

Isn't this a reflection on who we are and what we represent? Isn't the English language one of the most expressive and precise languages in use....hence its universal appeal...so surely its native speakers should take extra care ...your thoughts ....?

Ray Feb 18th 2007 3:01 am

Re: correct grammar and punctuation plea

Originally Posted by culchie (Post 4417344)
Isn't this a reflection on who we are and what we represent? Isn't the English language one of the most expressive and precise languages in use....hence its universal appeal...so surely its native speakers should take extra care ...your thoughts ....?

Correct punctuation, sure.

Paul Feb 18th 2007 3:04 am

You might all hate me for this but please please could we try harder in the spelling, punctuation and grammar department?

I find it very difficult to take any post seriously when it lacks the grace that is inherent in the English language.

When using an ellipsis to end a sentence, it should not be followed by any additional punctuation. ;)

culchie Feb 18th 2007 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 4417587)
When using an ellipsis to end a sentence, it should not be followed by any additional punctuation. ;)

What ellipsis?

Ray Feb 18th 2007 3:26 am

Originally Posted by culchie (Post 4417611)
What ellipsis?

An exercise machine.

culchie Feb 18th 2007 3:32 am

Look it up...I did!!

Thank you for the 'in' joke!

But really, let's try to do better.

Paul Feb 18th 2007 3:59 am

Originally Posted by culchie (Post 4417611)
What ellipsis?

The one at the end of your final sentence, followed by a full stop and a question mark.

If you really meant is as four dots, then that's even worse ...

jdr Feb 18th 2007 6:46 am

What a trollish post.
People that post on here come from all walks of life, not all have had a rich daddy to put them through college etc, ooops am I allowed to say etc ? I am sure thats not an English word.
As long as they enjoy themselves and find, or help give the required information, then that is all most of us on this forum expect, if its takes a little longer to read and digest, then thats tough.

keithwalters Feb 18th 2007 6:59 am

Hi Culchie,

I know where you´re coming from. It can be a little frustrating at times. Although jdr, I would argue that you don´t need to have a rich Daddy and go to an expensive college to know the difference between the following worst offenders:

our v are
there v their v they´re
your v you´re

And then of course there is the eternal problem of where to put that apostrophe:

friends v friend´s v friends´.

I personally didn´t go to a nice college. I did however learn all of the above when I was in primary school.

jdr Feb 18th 2007 7:14 am

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4417841)
Hi Culchie,

I know where you´re coming from. It can be a little frustrating at times. Although jdr, I would argue that you don´t need to have a rich Daddy and go to an expensive college to know the difference between the following worst offenders:

our v are
there v their v they´re
your v you´re

And then of course there is the eternal problem of where to put that apostrophe:

friends v friend´s v friends´.

I personally didn´t go to a nice college. I did however learn all of the above when I was in primary school.

Agreed, but is an apostrophe in the wrong place such a drama, I am just thankful I know it is in the wrong place.
I certainly would not start a badly punctuated thread about it taking the micky out of people who may have not been as lucky as us.
I stand by what I said, if I can read it then I am happy ;-)

Nomad_H Feb 18th 2007 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4417858)
Agreed, but is an apostrophe in the wrong place such a drama, I am just thankful I know it is in the wrong place.
I certainly would not start a badly punctuated thread about it taking the micky out of people who may have not been as lucky as us.
I stand by what I said, if I can read it then I am happy ;-)

I dun some writin at skool, an I speak an make meself undertud jus like wot you lot can*_#

Fortaleza Feb 18th 2007 8:33 am

Yo

Isn't the English language one of the most expressive and precise languages in use....hence its universal appeal...so surely its native speakers should take extra care ...your thoughts ....?

LOL!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :rofl: :p

Shorely their shood bee a "Doh" smileee!!!!!!!

maryann Feb 18th 2007 8:42 am

I would love to have the time to sit and type without interuption, but I have to split my time between my children and my husband, most of the time I have to type around my baby as he sits on my lap and chases my fingers across the board, I am also very tiered a lot of the time and my brain does not function.
I am sorry if my inability to reach your standards disappoint. But this site has been a life line to me, I hear what you are saying, and I appreciate your feelings, but surely our openess and support to each other are far more important.
We should welcome all without judgment, as you say we are all british and we have been bought up in a democracy, not a dictorship. We should celebrate our diversity, not critisise out shortcomings.
If I had read this a few months ago I would have felt too intimadated to post.
I hope I do not offend.

love

mary x x

Fortaleza Feb 18th 2007 9:00 am

Originally Posted by maryann (Post 4418004)
I would love to have the time to sit and type without interuption, but I have to split my time between my children and my husband, most of the time I have to type around my baby as he sits on my lap and chases my fingers across the board, I am also very tiered a lot of the time and my brain does not function.
I am sorry if my inability to reach your standards disappoint. But this site has been a life line to me, I hear what you are saying, and I appreciate your feelings, but surely our openess and support to each other are far more important.
We should welcome all without judgment, as you say we are all british and we have been bought up in a democracy, not a dictorship. We should celebrate our diversity, not critisise out shortcomings.
If I had read this a few months ago I would have felt too intimadated to post.
I hope I do not offend.

love

mary x x

Don't apologise, Mary. It was a ridiculous, petty statement in the first place. Read any number of message boards and you'll (culchie- are contractions allowed?) quickly appreciate this one. Not unlike SMS texting, due to the quick and easy nature of posting, people don't worry about their grammar. They worry about communicating their message. JDR is absolutely right. If you start getting elitist about people's education, then people would be put off posting on here and that for me would be a great shame.

As you Mary said, you may have felt intimadated a few months ago had it been so but I, for one and I'm sure there are many, am glad that wasn't the case.

poollounger Feb 18th 2007 10:23 am

I am as guilty for the overuse of extended full stops............but then I don't seem many of us using the semicolon. As long as it isn't a case of snobbery, then promoting the use of good English is to be applauded. Otherwise the language will in time descend into the shorthand of SMS texting. It is difficult enough trying to explain colloquialisms to one's Spanish friends who are trying to improve their English. All those nasty Americanisms that creep in day by day. Like " I am so over it" !!!!!
The problem with many of us is that we can spell and have fairly reasonable grammar, but just cannot type; (I was going to put .........) sometimes one is just too tired or exuberant to go back and correct all the typos.:D