Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Convenio Especial - cost of prescriptions

Convenio Especial - cost of prescriptions

Old Jul 8th 2019, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Yorkshire Princess is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Convenio Especial - cost of prescriptions

As I understand it, if you are signed up for the Convenio Especial, you are still liable for 100% of the cost of prescriptions. I've also read that if you suffer from a chronic condition, the cost is capped at 10%. Does anyone know anything about this? I am looking for a reliable source that states exactly what is and isn't covered under the scheme but not getting anywhere.

Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convenio Especial - cost of prescriptions

This link for CAB in Spain outlines what is covered it makes no mention of prescription capping for chronic conditions?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...pecial-scheme/
Old Jul 9th 2019, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
This link for CAB in Spain outlines what is covered it makes no mention of prescription capping for chronic conditions?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/fa...pecial-scheme/
This confirms what I have read from other sources that there is no cap. Haven't had the chance to read the rest of it yet but thanks anyway.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Convenio Especial - cost of prescriptions

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Princess
As I understand it, if you are signed up for the Convenio Especial, you are still liable for 100% of the cost of prescriptions. I've also read that if you suffer from a chronic condition, the cost is capped at 10%. Does anyone know anything about this? I am looking for a reliable source that states exactly what is and isn't covered under the scheme but not getting anywhere.

Thanks.
hi princess. my wife is autonimo and i piggyback her . .i did not know my condition was classed as cronic seems it is.medication for this is 10% for anything else it is 40%.hope this helps,
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el collado kid
hi princess. my wife is autonimo and i piggyback her . .i did not know my condition was classed as cronic seems it is.medication for this is 10% for anything else it is 40%.hope this helps,
Your wife presumably is self-employed and thus will be accessing the state health system because of that. The Convenio Especial is a different route into state healthcare that can only be applied for after a year of being in Spain (on the padron or as a resident, cannot remember which).

Thanks for your post.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
we are under state pension age, not working, had private medical insurance for a year to gain residency. We now have universal health care. No cost for this. Pay a maximum of 40% and 10% for medication for my chronic illness.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
Hi,
we are under state pension age, not working, had private medical insurance for a year to gain residency. We now have universal health care. No cost for this. Pay a maximum of 40% and 10% for medication for my chronic illness.
So did you apply for healthcare through the Convenio Especial?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Princess
So did you apply for healthcare through the Convenio Especial?

Thanks.
hi no this was stopped in our area, so was able to apply for the health care due to the change in legislation
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:59 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

hi no this was stopped in our area, so was able to apply for the health care due to the change in legislation

Are you aware that this has been reversed in Andalucia (is that where you are?). Convenio Especial is now available again and they've stopped UHC
Old Jul 20th 2019, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Are you aware that this has been reversed in Andalucia (is that where you are?). Convenio Especial is now available again and they've stopped UHC
yes in Andalucia, ours hasn’t stopped. Receiving treatment currently with surgery booked next month
Old Jul 20th 2019, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

yes in Andalucia, ours hasn’t stopped. Receiving treatment currently with surgery booked next month
From what you say I presume you had been on the Convenio Espececial which was stopped but they put you on the new system? As that has now stopped in Andalucia I wouldn't be surprised at some point they say to re apply for the Convenio Especial. Of course until then I would simply leave it.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
From what you say I presume you had been on the Convenio Espececial which was stopped but they put you on the new system? As that has now stopped in Andalucia I wouldn't be surprised at some point they say to re apply for the Convenio Especial. Of course until then I would simply leave it.
no never was on convenio especial. However I know friends who were but now on Uhc.
went on Uhc, straight from private medical insurance.
also just had my card renewed/updated for my new medication
Old Jul 20th 2019, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

no never was on convenio especial. However I know friends who were but now on Uhc.
went on Uhc, straight from private medical insurance.
also just had my card renewed/updated for my new medication
Lucky you , I would just wait and see then hopefully for you it stays as is.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This link outlines the specific re introduction of the Convenio Especial. If you read further down it says that Andalucia at the moment has not made any changes to those on the universal health care system it provides a link to SAS site to keep updated if you are using UHC system.

Andalusia and the Convenio Especial: what you need to know | Healthcare in Spain