British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Contributors In Spain Needed For Bbc One Programme (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/contributors-spain-needed-bbc-one-programme-238221/)

BBC Jun 24th 2004 9:51 am

Contributors Needed For BBC One Programme

Ricochet, the makers of the highly successful Channel 4 series, No Going Back, are producing a new series for the BBC called LIVING IN THE SUN. We want to talk to the following people.

PEOPLE STARTING OUT
Have you recently taken the plunge and embarked on a new life in Spain taking on a business venture out there. You could be starting up or renovating a B&B, setting up a mountain biking company or trying your hand at running a bar. We want to film your journey, following you over three months through your tears and triumphs, from delays in the building work to problems with local authorities and getting ready for first guests.

We are basically looking for people with a dream and some sort of business plan. Our stories need to be visually exciting and can be about anything: renovating a new house; starting up a B&B; a sailing school; a horse riding centre; a yoga retreat; diving schools; animal welfare centre; bars; or a language school. Most importantly we want to film real characters that are ambitious, hands on and determined to realise their dream of their new life in Spain and who want to share their stories and dreams with others.

We are looking for stories that have a clear sense of jeopardy. People who are taking risks with their savings, trying to integrate their children into the Spanish way of life – generally risking everything for this new start.

People featured in our Channel 4 series ‘No Going Back’ often found that their businesses benefited from the television exposure. A good thing if you’re starting out

CONTACT US
IF ANYONE OUT THERE IN SPAIN THINKS THAT THEY WOULD BE IDEAL FOR OUR SERIES, OR KNOW PEOPLE WHO WOULD BE GREAT

PLEASE EITHER CALL OUR OFFICE ON 0044 207 251 6966 AND ASK FOR LIVING IN THE SUN OR EMAIL US AT [email protected]. WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.

ABOUT THE BBC NEW SERIES: LIVING IN THE SUN

Every year thousands of Brits are drawn to the shores of Southern Spain, in search of a new life. It has become a national obsession and the BBC has responded to this by launching a brand new series looking at all aspects of relocating to Spain. Presented by Nadia Sawalha, each episode will reflect upon and be informative about the issues that British people encounter when they move to Spain - from looking for their ideal home to battling to start up a new business and finally, to the potential success that awaits us there.

We have found that our characters really enjoy the experience and in addition to benefiting personally, they have invariably received a flood of interest from the public in their business, whether it is a hotel or a sailing school, because of the programme.

You can find out more about Ricochet and the programmes we produce at www.ricochet.co.uk

sibsie Jun 24th 2004 1:01 pm

Yawn. Just what TV land needs. Another life in sun programme. Commissioning editors must really be stuck for ideas these days!

Minxstar Jun 24th 2004 1:09 pm

Don't think they are, just think relocating is such a popular thing to do now viewers want to see more before they think about doing it.

sibsie Jun 24th 2004 1:12 pm

Originally posted by Minxstar
Don't think they are, just think relocating is such a popular thing to do now viewers want to see more before they think about doing it.
None of the shows I've seen has shown life in Spain how it really is. I wish there had been a few more down to earth and factual progs on it before I moved out there.

Minxstar Jun 24th 2004 1:15 pm

Well maybe just maybe this programme is doing just that. You never know, I think people need to know more about what they are letting themselves in for, what they need to do etc.

lynnxa Jun 24th 2004 1:52 pm

Why do they never want to make a programme about those of us who just move over here (wherever here is!) and get on with it without any real tears or tantrums?:rolleyes: :(

sibsie Jun 24th 2004 3:15 pm

Originally posted by xabiachica
Why do they never want to make a programme about those of us who just move over here (wherever here is!) and get on with it without any real tears or tantrums?:rolleyes: :(
They like the drama. Things going well makes for boring telly!

BBC Jun 24th 2004 3:21 pm

We are looking for successful people too and are making the programme in order to show viewers who are thinking of relocating to Spain what they need to be doing. It's more of a factual look at moving to and living in Spain. Hope that clears a few things up!

sibsie Jun 24th 2004 3:27 pm

Originally posted by BBC
Hope that clears a few things up!
Don't mind me. I saw all the TV shows, thought 'excellent idea' and off I went. I just hated living there! I couldn't get out of the place fast enough. :D

Beachcomber Jun 25th 2004 5:25 pm

Could you arrange to bring back Eldorado??

paddythepilot Jun 26th 2004 4:31 am

I find this obsession with British people wanting, (dreaming of), leaving the UK and starting a new life in a sunny climate fascinating. What are the driving factors for this urge to leave when the UK economy is doing as well as it ever has?

My Dad was telling there are some statistics floating around in the UK that 25% of all Brits plan to retire abroad.

If this is true, where are they all going to go¡K¡Ksurely not everyone will go to Spain?

I agree that the TV companies are merely satisfying the demand from the public for this type of programme, but are things really that bad that just about everyone with a house to sell wants to leave?

Cheers.

sibsie Jun 26th 2004 12:50 pm

Originally posted by paddythepilot
If this is true, where are they all going to go¡K¡Ksurely not everyone will go to Spain?

Spain and France are the easy options. No visa, near home, medical care, cheap cost of life (well not in France so much) and you're guaranteed a whole other bunch of expats there.

Actually it was the huge expat population that turned me a bit sour in Spain. Well that and and the high crime rate.

I blame the Daily Mail and all those shows!

milky bar kid Jun 26th 2004 5:28 pm

Originally posted by Beachcomber
Could you arrange to bring back Eldorado??
i loved that show
:cool:
sad i know http://img57.photobucket.com/albums/...t%20pic/el.jpg

paddythepilot Jun 27th 2004 2:22 am

Originally posted by sibsie
Spain and France are the easy options. No visa, near home, medical care, cheap cost of life (well not in France so much) and you're guaranteed a whole other bunch of expats there.

Actually it was the huge expat population that turned me a bit sour in Spain. Well that and and the high crime rate.

I blame the Daily Mail and all those shows!
I guess once Spain & France are 'full' people will be looking at going to Eastern Europe and perhaps other 'more exotic' locations.

For example, the majority of Brits living out here (Hong Kong, Singapore etc), can't face going back to the UK for retirement so many of them are heading for Thailand, Malaysia etc......not bad options either!

I also guess if the property market fell dramatically this would put a stop to many people being able to leave the UK in the first place.

We live in interesting times eh?

Beachcomber Jun 27th 2004 7:40 pm

Originally posted by milky bar kid
i loved that show
:cool:
sad i know http://img57.photobucket.com/albums/...t%20pic/el.jpg

Glad I wasn't the only one!