British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Contract Versus Prepaid (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/contract-versus-prepaid-417075/)

mitzipurr Jan 5th 2007 4:12 pm

Contract Versus Prepaid

Hi

Does anyone know the advantages of being on a Contract rather than pay as you go with mobile telephones??

Tried to ask the girl today BUT I was confused - there seems to be so many offers on at present with various mobile providers BUT unless you are fluent in Spanish maybe you are missing out if the queues of Spanish are anything to go by at each shop?? :confused:

Mitzyboy Jan 5th 2007 4:24 pm

Re: Contract Versus Prepaid

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4252280)
Hi

Does anyone know the advantages of being on a Contract rather than pay as you go with mobile telephones??

Tried to ask the girl today BUT I was confused - there seems to be so many offers on at present with various mobile providers BUT unless you are fluent in Spanish maybe you are missing out if the queues of Spanish are anything to go by at each shop?? :confused:

Oh man that was a nightmare when I got my phone. I had to go to Benidorm to find a shop where they could speak English and explain the tarriffs. We ended up with a strange contract where they charge me 8 euros a month, irrespective of if I use it or not, but my bills seem to be around 10 to 15 Eur a month. My wife has a payg phone. They are both with Vodaphone. I can't to be honest see any advantage or disadvantage between the two services but thats probably because my wifes is for emergencies only and is hardly used.

I made a point of getting to the shop btw when it opened, and there were still huge queues outside .... nightmare!

tim hortons man Jan 6th 2007 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4252323)
Oh man that was a nightmare when I got my phone. I had to go to Benidorm to find a shop where they could speak English and explain the tarriffs. We ended up with a strange contract where they charge me 8 euros a month, irrespective of if I use it or not, but my bills seem to be around 10 to 15 Eur a month. My wife has a payg phone. They are both with Vodaphone. I can't to be honest see any advantage or disadvantage between the two services but thats probably because my wifes is for emergencies only and is hardly used.

I made a point of getting to the shop btw when it opened, and there were still huge queues outside .... nightmare!

you may want to check out http://www.spainsim.com/home.htm
I looked at a while ago, they offer two sim cards at 3 cents a minute very good deal, I didn't go for it as my wife has a work phone. At some point I'd like to get a contract phone as topping it ups a hassle.

Chiclanagir Jan 6th 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4252323)

You´re wife only uses it for emergencies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But she is a woman!

I mainly use mine for texting other mobiles in the UK. Would appreciate it if anyone knows of a cheaper tariff than payasyou go for this.

jdr Jan 6th 2007 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by glynis (Post 4254823)
You´re wife only uses it for emergencies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But she is a woman!

I mainly use mine for texting other mobiles in the UK. Would appreciate it if anyone knows of a cheaper tariff than payasyou go for this.

Never tried this myself but do it from your PC.

http://www.cbfsms.com/

Chiclanagir Jan 6th 2007 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4254843)
Never tried this myself but do it from your PC.

http://www.cbfsms.com/

Tried to do this as it looks too good to be true. However my firewall is obviously blocking it.

coralsoft Jan 6th 2007 5:42 pm

Those 'emergencies' occur 20 times a day for an average 10 minute duration, mind. ;)

Mitzyboy Jan 6th 2007 6:29 pm

Ha ha ..... yes for sure, but she hates using the phone though and only wants one for if she breaks down in the car anywhere, which is unlikely as she hasn't driven since we arrived here :confused:

Mitzyboy Jan 6th 2007 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by tim hortons man (Post 4254389)
you may want to check out http://www.spainsim.com/home.htm
I looked at a while ago, they offer two sim cards at 3 cents a minute very good deal, I didn't go for it as my wife has a work phone. At some point I'd like to get a contract phone as topping it ups a hassle.

YMF Jan 6th 2007 8:31 pm

You can send texts from Skype

Elle1971 Jan 7th 2007 12:04 am

Hubby and I both got a text from Vodaphone 2 days ago saying that if we put 6 euors on our credit, and then text a number... we get free calls and videocalls to other Vodaphone users until early April. That's with my limited Spanish, and a wee help from Babelfish. We will still be heading down to our local Vodaphone store to see if that's translated correctly... but it may explain a few queues.

I mean... come on... Even if a load of people heard about that and bought a sim card and just used it until May - that's still huge increase in Vodaphone's pockets! It's a great deal!

We're heading down Vodaphone's way early next week... so I'll let you know how we got on.

Elle1971 Jan 7th 2007 12:06 am

Yes I know... I keep saying Vodaphone instead of Vodafone. Apologies!

Chiclanagir Jan 7th 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4255319)
Ha ha ..... yes for sure, but she hates using the phone though and only wants one for if she breaks down in the car anywhere, which is unlikely as she hasn't driven since we arrived here :confused:

A woman who hates using a phone - never!

Chiclanagir Jan 7th 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by YMF (Post 4255539)
You can send texts from Skype

Thanks Yvonne will try that.

Lionda Jan 8th 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4255319)

Love it :) She sounds a bit like me :D