Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Contactless cards (RFID)

Contactless cards (RFID)

Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contactless cards (RFID)

Originally Posted by mrken30
You will need a contactless card if you ever want to use buses in London. Not sure if other cities are going down the cashless route. It's safer for all concerned, no cash to be stolen.
I think Cardiff is looking at cashless buses.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I shopped in Tesco, fueled up at the Tesco petrol station thev dropped in to my local off licence...my card was refused. I phoned the bank who told me that three transaction in a few minutes was flagged as suspicious and the account had been put on hold.

I answered security questions and the card was taken off hold.

So I feel very safe using these cards.

Out of the UK I tend to use pre paid Visa cards.

An algorithm written by a complete stranger has determined that your activities were suspicious and therefore immediately cut off your access to your own money.

Doesn't anyone else feel unnerved by this?

How would you feel if you went into a pub and your card was refused because you have already purchased your weekly allowance of alcoholic units, as set by the local government health department?

What if you got into a dispute over your council tax - you claim to have paid it but the council have lost it, therefore the council put an immediate block on your cards until the debt is paid?

What if you bought a bottle of whisky from the off licence, then remembered your wife asked you to pick up some paracetamol because she's got a migraine. The pharmacy refuses your purchase because the computer system "knows" you just bought alcohol.

Let's all welcome the coming cashless society because as we're continually told, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
An algorithm written by a complete stranger has determined that your activities were suspicious and therefore immediately cut off your access to your own money.

How would you feel if you went into a pub and your card was refused because you have already purchased your weekly allowance of alcoholic units, as set by the local government health department?

What if you got into a dispute over your council tax - you claim to have paid it but the council have lost it, therefore the council put an immediate block on your cards until the debt is paid?

What if you bought a bottle of whisky from the off licence, then remembered your wife asked you to pick up some paracetamol because she's got a migraine. The pharmacy refuses your purchase because the computer system "knows" you just bought alcohol.

Let's all welcome the coming cashless society because as we're continually told, if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear.
You are absolutely correct, all will hinge upon our credit rating, DNA profile etc. Essentially you could well be damned from birth, that is if your would be parent was allowed to have you in the first place. "Artificial Intelligence" will probably put us into a technologically induced coma so that we do not mess up the utopia/dystopia that they will create for us. Don't sound too bad at that, another Diazepam anyone?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my credit card company call me about 20 years ago because of suspicious spending pattern. Funny enough I think it was with regards to using my card for petrol at Tescos at the pump.

So this type of thing is not new.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

OK so let's all indulge your paranoia and insist that the banks do not use any kind of usage profiling to protect us against fraudsters and happily live with the, possibly expensive, consequences.
Of course if you really are troubled then a pair of scissors is your best bet.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
OK so let's all indulge your paranoia and insist that the banks do not use any kind of usage profiling to protect us against fraudsters and happily live with the, possibly expensive, consequences.
Of course if you really are troubled then a pair of scissors is your best bet.
What and cut my phone up!
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
What and cut my phone up!
Just the SIM
Old Jan 26th 2017, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Just the SIM
Too late my friend!
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I had my credit card company call me about 20 years ago because of suspicious spending pattern. Funny enough I think it was with regards to using my card for petrol at Tescos at the pump.

So this type of thing is not new.

Of course it's not new. A sudden change in spending pattern should raise a flag. But three transactions in quick succession justify a stop on all transactions? Hell, two of them were on the same premises and to the same company. How is that suspicious?

This week I attempted to pay my credit card bill online. I do this every month on or around the same date every month. Have done for years. This week my payment was refused, even though there are sufficient funds to cover it. I had to get on the phone to Visa security to confirm that the payment was genuine. This was not a quick ten second call - the whole process took over fifteen minutes of call queues and security questions. Eventually they informed me that the transaction was refused because I was using a different IP address. WTF! This wasn't a change in spending habit, this was a regular monthly transaction. I complained like hell to my bank who appologised and credited me £25 for the inconvenience.

Now all this beefed up security may well be fine with some people but the real reason behind it is because so many cards and electronic transactions are fraudulent and banks want to cover their asses by making us (their customers) jump through hoops.

Yet they are still pushing for a cashless society and desperately trying to convince us of the convenience of contactless payments.

It's not for our benefit. We already have very little privacy and what little we do have is slowly being eroded. Now my simple little Big Brother examples above may be in jest, but can people really not see this coming?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Contactless payments and self service points in shops and food and beverage outlets are leading to staff-less businesses. Lower prices / more profits and eventually the dismantling of a big part of the service industry on the high street and society. I wonder what model will replace the outgoing one?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Cash may be difficult to obtain soon in some places in the UK

Industry body warns of 'cash deserts' if ATM funding row not resolved - ITV News