Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Contact Between Tradesmen - Where Are You & What Do You Do?

Contact Between Tradesmen - Where Are You & What Do You Do?

Old May 18th 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact Between Tradesmen - Where Are You & What Do You Do?

Is that a typing error or did you mean 10 euros a day?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I paid a good bricklayer 10 euros a day. The plasterer / tiler gets twelve.
The plumber was 380 euros for two days work (there were two of them here for one day and it included all the stuff he needed to plumb in a bathroom suite and boiler), the electrician was here for three days and it was an all in rate including the gear he needed (wiring, plugs/sockets/switches/trunking etc etc for 6 rooms) 1700 euros
Old May 18th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

My experience is that using British tradesmen over here is to be avoided as they are more expensive by far.

I saved 50% on recent building work undertaken by using Spanish Tradesmen rather than a Brit. I think they apply a popular pricing policy ...... meaning its very popular with them

Totally agree. Our first week here we were ripped off by a Brit electrician.

Only used Spanish since then. We ask our neighbours for recommendations.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Is that a typing error or did you mean 10 euros a day?
Ha ha ..... went into dream mode for a moment .... 10 euros an hour and the plasterer / tiler 12 an hour!!
They tended to work 8 hours a day, sometimes 9 and they worked bloody hard, I was impressed.
I speeded things up by labouring, so I would replenish the cement for the brickie and make sure he always had bricks to hand etc ..... The plasterer uses his own man as he needs to make sure the mix is perfect and I don't think he trusts me.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that using British tradesmen over here is to be avoided as they are more expensive by far.

I saved 50% on recent building work undertaken by using Spanish Tradesmen rather than a Brit. I think they apply a popular pricing policy ...... meaning its very popular with them
I personally think there are rip off merchants of all nationalities and all trades/services, its not just Brits

I think the key is to get a few quote from Brits and Spanish and compare like for like, see previous work, get references etc etc - and always bear in mind that if someone is desperate for the work they will try and undercut the cheapest quote but they could be working illegally

Another thing to bear in mind( and I have personal experience of this) is if a tradesmen doesnt particulary want the job they will over price it so they know if they do get the job they will earn well from it !!!!

The problem I suppose is for people with holiday places here who dont want to spend their time looking for materials or waiting in to get quotes, they bump into a guy in a bar................. and the rest is history

Its a mine field especially when there are large amounts of money involved

Personal recommendations are ALWAYS the best, as long as they are genuine !!!!!
Old May 18th 2007, 3:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ..... went into dream mode for a moment .... 10 euros an hour and the plasterer / tiler 12 an hour!!
They tended to work 8 hours a day, sometimes 9 and they worked bloody hard, I was impressed.
I speeded things up by labouring, so I would replenish the cement for the brickie and make sure he always had bricks to hand etc ..... The plasterer uses his own man as he needs to make sure the mix is perfect and I don't think he trusts me.
Are you sure you speeded things up by helping ?
And I hope you declared your employment as labourer on your tax assessment. lol
Old May 19th 2007, 7:38 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Are you sure you speeded things up by helping ?
I second that!