Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Considering Retiring To Spain Alone - Advice On Health Care

Considering Retiring To Spain Alone - Advice On Health Care

Old Jul 7th 2018, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Retiring To Spain Alone - Advice On Health Care

Yes I have seen that article a few times Fred but my view is that I would rather go the route of obtaining an S1 which as long as there is some form of Brexit deal done is agreed by both UK and EU. Rather than an offer by current Spanish government which could simply be removed should there be a change of governing party leader or whatever, where would that leave one if they had missed the S1 deadline? This is just my personal view.

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 7th 2018 at 7:22 am.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 8:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you, but not everyone has or will have that option.

It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference to the registration procedure as if they grant you the right to reside, by definition you would not need to prove healthcare.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a very good point.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 10:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22 View Post
That is a very good point.
What is? please use the quote function so that people know which post you mean, what you posted could have been an answer to ANY of the posts in this thread, it just makes it a lot easier for people to know just what you are talking about.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
What is? please use the quote function so that people know which post you mean, what you posted could have been an answer to ANY of the posts in this thread, it just makes it a lot easier for people to know just what you are talking about.
​​​​​​​The point that Fred made in the comment above mine, basically that if the Spain's government give free healthcare to all then that may impact on residency application in that one shouldn't need to prove health cover? Whether that will be the case I have no idea. I didn't quote as it was the preceding post, but I take your point.
Old Jul 7th 2018, 1:53 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The hospital services are also very different from the UK, patients receive only medical treatment from nurses and usually rely on family for other things like feeding, washing etc.
Interesting point, for some one who's alone. Could new-found friends be counted upon to do this?
There's also the question of language and communication with the medical staff, not to mention consultations with the GP which inevitably become more frequent as you get older, and possibly being stuck at home and unable to do shopping, etc... with only Spanish-speaking carers/helpers. Does the OP speak Spanish?
Apart from the question of healthcare coverage, the OP should consider how he'll cope with future health issues, as well as the day-to-day nitty-gritty of life in another country, on his own.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Jul 8th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's not allied to the EU, so shouldn't change.
It is a mutual agreement so it may well change. I think we will have to wait and see.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nielsthomas View Post
Hi Everyone. Just registered with BE.com and this is my first post. I am just retired at 65, and am considering retiring permanently to Spain. My big question is about health care. Although I am healthy right now, I am concerned what would happen if I was to fall seriously ill in later life and need constant care. This is a big concern as I would be living alone. I can afford health insurance, but would this cover a care home in later life if I needed it? Any advice specifically on later life frail care etc would be appreciated.
If you can afford Private Healthcare then get that but it may not cover home care. We have had private health insurance for years and also are registered with the State Healthcare. Overall Private is quicker, more efficient and you get better treatment but you have to pay for your own drugs in our experience. Several of our elderly Spanish neighbors employ local women to look after them when they cannot manage, mainly Moroccans. They seem very happy but most families look after the elderly here.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly View Post
It is a mutual agreement so it may well change. I think we will have to wait and see.
I think Mike was referring to the use of an S1 form to get healthcare. That is very much part of EU legislation - it's an EU form.

Unless Brexit goes pear shaped and all the recent agreements on healthcare and Expats in general are cancelled, the S1 procedure will remain. If it does not then it would be in both countries interest to come up with a mutual agreement.

If the recently proposed "heathcare for all" law is passed then it becomes irrelevant.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kevo11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobd22 View Post
As long as a person is officially resident before Brexit day 29/3/19 (possibly end of transition even) then un government has said such people will benefit in the future just as they do now and become entitled to S1 on reaching state pension age. One presumes that requires some Brexit final deal. So to be sure personally I would get residency pre Brexit date. You may get S1 after but then again you may not if not resident by or on 29 March. I would say that is too big a gamble to take. Especially given there is no certainty of EHIC continuing post brexit as not even begun speaking to EU on that.
When you say "get residency pre Brexit date", do you mean tax residency or the 5 year residency?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 5:11 pm

It means signing on the register of foreigners. It gives you the right to stay for more than 90 days. You are given permanent residency after 5 years - you don't have to apply for it.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Kevo11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
It means signing on the register of foreigners. It gives you the right to stay for more than 90 days. You are given permanent residency after 5 years - you don't have to apply for it.
Thanks Fred.