Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Connecting laptop to tv HDMI help please!

Connecting laptop to tv HDMI help please!

Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:03 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Connecting laptop to tv HDMI help please!

Trying to connect my hp laptop to the samsung tv by HDMI which seems to go okay except the TV just keeps telling me "no signal". The laptop is seeing the Samsung as a monitor... any help would be appreciated as most of my hair has now been torn out
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connecting laptop to tv HDMI help please!

I had a similar problem when I first tried a HDMI connection.

Try disconnecting the HDMI cable from the computer, then selecting HDMI as the source for the TV, wait for the "No Signal" to appear and then plug the HDMI cable back into the computer.

It works for me

Originally Posted by JnK
Trying to connect my hp laptop to the samsung tv by HDMI which seems to go okay except the TV just keeps telling me "no signal". The laptop is seeing the Samsung as a monitor... any help would be appreciated as most of my hair has now been torn out
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to tell the laptop to output a signal to the TV.

It doesn't necessarily do it automatically.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You may need to tell the laptop to output a signal to the TV.

It doesn't necessarily do it automatically.
That normally involve pressing 2 Command keys at the same time.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:39 pm
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light

Tried that
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:54 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

The screen resolution on the laptop needs to match the TV?!

jo xxx
Old Dec 31st 2012, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

My TV has three HDMI sockets and of course the laptop has to be plugged into the right one for the TV to get a signal. Do you have multiple HDMI inlets ?

If you run out of hair to pull out, there's always the cat to kick......that's a real stress reliever

Good luck on your quest

Originally Posted by JnK
Old Dec 31st 2012, 6:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't make any difference which HDMI input you use. You can select any one of them as a source.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't make any difference which HDMI input you use. You can select any one of them as a source.
but maybe she's selecting the wrong one??
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but maybe she's selecting the wrong one??
Yes, that's possible.

I have a Samsung TV with 4 HDMI inputs. When you connect a device to the TV you have to select the relevant HDMI input by pressing "Source" on the remote. You then will see all the HDMI inputs (which are all numbered). It doesn't show what is connected, just 4 dashes. If you always use the same connection you can add a name for the source such as "PC".

If you select a source that has nothing connected or if the device is connected but switched off you will get the "No Signal" warning on the screen.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's possible.

I have a Samsung TV with 4 HDMI inputs. When you connect a device to the TV you have to select the relevant HDMI input by pressing "Source" on the remote. You then will see all the HDMI inputs (which are all numbered). It doesn't show what is connected, just 4 dashes. If you always use the same connection you can add a name for the source such as "PC".

If you select a source that has nothing connected or if the device is connected but switched off you will get the "No Signal" warning on the screen.
yes, mine's the same - which is what made me think of it!!
Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:51 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We do this all the time with no issues BUT, the sound always comes from the laptop and not the TV - I know I'm being dumb but is this correct?
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We do this all the time with no issues BUT, the sound always comes from the laptop and not the TV - I know I'm being dumb but is this correct?
the sound comes from the TV here - when the 16 year old wakes up I'll ask her what you might be doing wrong...

although I bet someone else will answer you before that happens
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

This was a problem with Vista but Windows 7 fixed it.

Originally Posted by lynnxa
the sound comes from the TV here - when the 16 year old wakes up I'll ask her what you might be doing wrong...

although I bet someone else will answer you before that happens
Old Dec 31st 2012, 8:28 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

I've tried both HDMI ports on the TV...problem now is that the laptop seems quite happy that the TV is it's main monitor so when it's plugged in the laptop is blank and the TV shows the "no signal" so I have to unplug it to do anything. I've tried the "sending signal" via function keys, I can only think maybe it's a resolution problem but I have no idea how to correct it ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.