Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Confusion over "Permiso para salida de menores al extranjero" requirements

Confusion over "Permiso para salida de menores al extranjero" requirements

Old Jul 12th 2017, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Ikea lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion over "Permiso para salida de menores al extranjero" requirements

Will soon be travelling back to the UK for a holiday with my Spanish girlfriend and her niece and nephew so they can practise their English (they are 16 and 11 years old).

As their parents won't be travelling with us, we had to get permission from the Guardia Civil by filling in a "Permiso para salida de menores al extranjero" stating that their parents consent to them leaving Spain.

Both the children have Spanish passports as well as Spanish ID cards. We had read conflicting information on the web about the need for this document if you have a passport, but decided to do it anyway just in case.

We were unfortunate to get a pretty rude Guardia Civil officer who said we couldn't do this form with their passports (even though the form says passport or ID card on it) and had to do it with their ID cards. And so we filled in the form with the children's ID cards on it.

However, now we are a bit confused about what ID to use when travelling. Obviously, they will have their ID cards with them to show to the Spanish police at the airport to match the form if its requested, but should we also now use their ID cards for checking in for the flight (when you add the advanced passenger information) and to show to the staff at the boarding gate? Or can we use their passports instead for that part?

(Also, do the staff at the boarding gate ever ask to see this "permiso", or is it just the police who do? And would it matter to them if the info in their computer is for the passport but the "permiso" gives the Id card? (We'll be flying with Easyjet.))

The passports also have their Spanish ID number on the photo page. So maybe it's not so much of an issue. Just don't want to commit any bureaucratic faux pas and have any problems on the day!

Anyone ever had experience of travelling with children from Spain in this way? Does it matter if you show one ID to the police and a different one at the boarding gate?

They (and we) would prefer to use the passports if possible. (Especially as they only got them recently especially for this trip!)

Hope someone can advise as to what is the best thing to do.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion over "Permiso para salida de menores al extranjero" requirements

National ID Cards issued by an EU State can be used for travel to other EU states. I would say take ID Cards AND passports if that makes you feel more secure.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion over "Permiso para salida de menores al extranjero" requirements

As nearly all bigger UK airports have the automated/livescan gates for UK passport holders with a 'chipped' Passport, the UK border officers also present have more time to check others that have to go through their physical barriers, such as your goodselves. Take the lot, ID cards, Passports AND the permission papers. The Guardia are not the only 'grumpy' ones you may meet,I have worked alongside the UK border force on occasions mostly nice people but all human! Save any potential hassle, go 'belt and braces'. Have a good time!

Last edited by lurchio; Jul 12th 2017 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Ikea lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. Yes - we will take all documents and show whatever they want at each stage..
Old Jul 13th 2017, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

I did this with Easyjet last year my daughters friend traveled on ID card which we used in the advanced passenger notice when we filled this in as she had a passport we took this just in case. My daughter also needed one when she traveled with a school trip to Italy when she traveled on her UK passport with the form. Both times no one checked the form at any point in the airports. I carried everything with me and did not need the form once.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

I always travel through Europe on my ID card and give those details to the company I fly with. I always take my passport as well with me as a stand-by. Make sure the "permiso" is handy as I know from experience that my children have been asked for it in the past. Bon voyage!