Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Confusion about insuring car in Spain whilst still registered in UK

Confusion about insuring car in Spain whilst still registered in UK

Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:36 am

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion about insuring car in Spain whilst still registered in UK

I wouldn't want to own a car with tax that has expired a few years ago. I think they (the owner) may have a shock when they get a bill for the last few years back pay.

If it's SORN I think it best be off road here too. The Spanish cops are not thick and the fines are VERY hefty.

I reckon a potential buyer won't touch it with a barge pole for that reason either, if they do more fool them.

Ex pat insurance will insure you in Spain with an English reg , and Spanish address, they use (Ibex) under written by Lloyds of London.

Last edited by anonimouse; Sep 26th 2011 at 7:01 am.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
You're havin a larf !!!!
So, does it need an MOT if it's only a year old?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:44 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
So, does it need an MOT if it's only a year old?
Do you mean ITV (as we're in Spain)?

Anyway, the answer is NO!!

Sorry - lost the will to live a few posts ago and can now see the stupidity of my answer.

I can't believe that we're still discussing something that a) has been done to death so many times before and b) is so obvious anyway.

Last edited by snikpoh; Sep 26th 2011 at 5:46 am.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michael74
but if there is no MOT surely it is not classed as roadworthy thereby making the insurance invalid.
A popular myth but that is all it is I'm afraid.

Just think about it, the penalty in law for not having a valid MOT is a fixed penalty fine and no points. If it invalidated your insurance then do you think the police overlook the obligation to charge you with that also ?

Of course not and they don't because it doesn't.

The worst that could happen is that your insurance company could refuse to pay for your own losses but would always pay 3rd party claims but even then to do that they would have to be able to prove that an accident was either caused, or significantly contributed to, by the unroadworthy condition of your car.

This can apply even if you do have a valid MOT, bald tyres and a skid in the wet for instance. Remember a car should be in a roadworthy condition 365 days a year, not just on MOT day, it says so in the policy
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I wouldn't want to own a car with tax that has expired a few years ago. I think they (the owner) may have a shock when they get a bill for the last few years back pay.

If it's SORN I think it best be off road here too. The Spanish cops are not thick and the fines are VERY hefty.

I reckon a potential buyer won't touch it with a barge pole for that reason either, if they do more fool them.

Ex pat insurance will insure you in Spain with an English reg , and Spanish address, they use (Ibex) under written by Lloyds of London.
Why would they get a bill? If the UK authorities do not know that the vehicle has been taken out of the country and the vehicle is registered at an old UK address. It would be an idea for someone to speak to Ibex for example and find out what is correct.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:10 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjharts
I am aware that after 6 months of being in Spain that you have to have register your British car there but in the meantime, as UK insurance companies will only allow you to drive for a maximum of 2 or 3 months in Europe, it is OK to insure your car with a Spanish insurance company whilst the car is still registered in the UK?
We want to wait as long as possible to register our car as we want to decide whether to buy a Spanish car and bring our car back to the UK to sell or register our car and keep it there. As our car is a 2005 Fiat Panda it is quite cheap to register and worth it as it is a very economical car and so at the moment we want to take it with us.
Also, can anyone advise me of some good Spanish car insurance companies? We will be based in Nerja. Thanks!
Well to answer your question .....
No a Spanish Insurance company will not/cannot insure a Non Spanish vehicle,, but!, there are quite a number of Spanish Based insurance companys who will (Knights etc etc)
I had a good few years back a UK reg car insured with Knights & had a claim that was dealt with without any issues.
As far as I know an Insurance Company are obliged to pay out to a third party, but may well decline to pay the insured if they find an issue that will allow them to not pay out. (same as the UK)
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

One thing not mentioned so far, I think, is that a car has to be insured here at all times even if off the road, well according to 2 insurers we have spoken to. one of which tried to make us pay 10 month back insurance, until we , er lied and said car was in UK.

Anyway as a poster has said this subject has been dealt with sooo many times, and quite honestly, change the plates, when in Spain be legal, far too many drive on British plates and dont change, why wait? do it

Car has to be lega in country of registration, really that says it all.