British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Confused in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/confused-spain-193571/)

steveb Nov 26th 2003 7:51 pm

Confused in Spain

Now been on the Southern Costa Blanca fo nearly three weeks and have been getting the expected run around. Trying to obtain an NIE and one office sends us to another (getting used to the phrase "No aqui"). We have finally located the right place on the 4th occasion and touring most of Alicante.

We are now thinking of employing a Gestor and have been quoted 90 Euros each. Does anyone know if this is reasonable/going rate?

Also any other advice from people living out here would be appreciated.

Apart from trying to adjust to the differences, which we realised before on holidays but always harder full time, we're really enjoying giving the experience a try.

"Your reach should always be further than your grasp!"

sibsie Nov 28th 2003 10:24 am

If you're living there fulltime I can't see the need to employ a Gestor. If you're in Southern CB my top tip would be to get good house contents insurance ;)

gazzza Nov 28th 2003 8:36 pm

Of course nobody else in Spain gets robbed... only if you’re south of Alicante
Why do 95% of properties in ALL OF SPAIN have bars on their doors and wiñdows NOT JUST south of Ali airport
YOU wanna try living in South London (as I have for 30 years) or New York
Perhaps when you move give the Bronx a try, then you'll know about locks on your doors...

gazzza Nov 28th 2003 8:40 pm

Spanish Keyboard sorry ñ should be n in window

sibsie Nov 28th 2003 8:44 pm

Originally posted by gazzza
Of course nobody else in Spain gets robbed... only if you’re south of Alicante
Why do 95% of properties in ALL OF SPAIN have bars on their doors and wiñdows NOT JUST south of Ali airport
YOU wanna try living in South London (as I have for 30 years) or New York
Perhaps when you move give the Bronx a try, then you'll know about locks on your doors...
Crime rates are higher there than in other parts of the Costa, especially with burglaries but it is a problem all over Spain. Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

I've lived in London, West, North and South with no prob. Lived in DC with no prob. But I've been in Spain a while now and haven't found a person who hasn't been a victim of crime. I have friends in Torreveija who've had real problems with it.

And yes you do need really good household insurance. A lot of policies have clauses that render them useless.

Dolphingirl Dec 1st 2003 8:55 am

Get a couple of German Shepherds, in Oz I was the only house in the street that didnt get robbed......Have them in the house at night roaming free, at least they cant get poisoned so easily and teach them not to eat anything that isnt home cooked by you.....:D

The x copper who I brought the house off has told me to get a couple and most of my spanish neighbours have at least 2, and apparently none have any problems......

I´m looking at the moment, so in the meantime I´ve put a couple of big signs up and practicing my deep growling techniques - havent quite mastered the bark yet, :D :D

Originally posted by sibsie
Crime rates are higher there than in other parts of the Costa, especially with burglaries but it is a problem all over Spain. Don't shoot the messenger. ;)

I've lived in London, West, North and South with no prob. Lived in DC with no prob. But I've been in Spain a while now and haven't found a person who hasn't been a victim of crime. I have friends in Torreveija who've had real problems with it.

And yes you do need really good household insurance. A lot of policies have clauses that render them useless.
:D

logz05 Dec 5th 2003 7:23 am

Getting back to the subject....

99 Euros for the two of you is not a bad price for a Gestor. If you don't speak Spanish then frankly it is much easier and quicker. You will in the end save time,money and heartache!

There are so many immigrants now in the Alicante area that the Gestores get to "batch" process a number of clients at one time.

There is short article about it on 20/11/2003 in www.thisiscostablanca.com - local news section.

Dolphingirl Dec 6th 2003 3:27 pm

Re: Confused in Spain

You can get an NIE form from the police commissioner. Go down there, take a copy of your passport, along with the orgininal, 2 copies of the form in, one they will keep another they will stamp and it should take approximately 20 days. You go back, probably to an other area in the same building and you take in your form and they will give you another one with your NIE number.....Its that easy.....and it doesnt cost you anything.

DG.

Originally posted by steveb
Now been on the Southern Costa Blanca fo nearly three weeks and have been getting the expected run around. Trying to obtain an NIE and one office sends us to another (getting used to the phrase "No aqui"). We have finally located the right place on the 4th occasion and touring most of Alicante.

We are now thinking of employing a Gestor and have been quoted 90 Euros each. Does anyone know if this is reasonable/going rate?

Also any other advice from people living out here would be appreciated.

Apart from trying to adjust to the differences, which we realised before on holidays but always harder full time, we're really enjoying giving the experience a try.

"Your reach should always be further than your grasp!"

logz05 Dec 6th 2003 11:03 pm

Dolphingirl
Maybe the case in Malaga but in the Costa Blanca it sure ddon't work like that.

Dolphingirl Dec 8th 2003 4:54 pm

Nice drive to Malaga :cool:

Originally posted by logz05
Dolphingirl
Maybe the case in Malaga but in the Costa Blanca it sure ddon't work like that.

jdr Dec 9th 2003 11:22 am

Yeah dolphingirls correcto again.

Did it myself this morning in Fuengerola while shopping, took 5 mins, got to pick it up in 4 weeks from the next desk....;)

I will do yours for 89 € :beer: :beer: :beer: :D

jdr Dec 9th 2003 11:33 am

If you employ a gestor, you still have to take forms and PP in to police station yourself.
It cost someone i know 21 € to have the forms filled in by a gestor, and he had to take them in.

Get the forms and a dictionary.
Its only name and addy, fathers name, mothers name, date of birth,sex, reason for wanting NIE, signature and date.

And try to speak a bit of Spanish, it helps.:D

Dolphingirl Dec 9th 2003 3:48 pm

I speak pigeon spanish, but although they are in spanish, doesnt take rocket science to fill them in.....if it was anything like when I went in, the person next to you may speak both languages so get them to just check it for you....

You´re not wrong John with regards to your quote about the rain in Spain......I think I soon be able to travel the highways on a jetski......my phone doesnt seem to work when it rains either........suppose its one way on saving money, lol.

Originally posted by jdr
If you employ a gestor, you still have to take forms and PP in to police station yourself.
It cost someone i know 21 € to have the forms filled in by a gestor, and he had to take them in.

Get the forms and a dictionary.
Its only name and addy, fathers name, mothers name, date of birth,sex, reason for wanting NIE, signature and date.

And try to speak a bit of Spanish, it helps.:D

jdr Dec 9th 2003 6:06 pm

Phone works ok, just the sky thats crap, tv that is :D :D

Spanish guy behind the counter checked mine, and stamped it straight away, mind you Fuengirola has two police stations, and of course i went in the wrong one first. Still it gave me a chance to practice Spanish.:D :D
I will have to set up as a gestor ;) :beer: :beer: easy money or what ?