Confused

Old May 9th 2008, 11:41 am
Confused Scot???

Scottielass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused

Hi guys im quite new to all this but I have been looking into Emigrating for a while with my man. I have looked into Australia and its a far far away place and I have to be 100% certain so I am coming on here as Spain would also be a choice.

These are my queries:

Work without speaking much Spanish!
Houses ( I watch all the programmes and peoples dream homes get knocked down)
Schools for when we have kids which hopefully will be soon
And lastly and most important where to stay?

If anyone can give me some advice that would be wonderful.

Thank you Anne
Old May 9th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused

Personally, I wouldn't let distance be a concern. With phones and the internet it's just as easy to call your mum from oz. as it is from spain (maybe easier - given spain's telefonica ). My personal opinion is that without the language, you'd find it harder to settle down and get a job in Spain than in Oz.

I'd strongly suggest you forget everything you've seen on TV about moving to Spain. These change-your-life programmes are about as realistic as having Tommy Walsh drop in and completely rebuild your bathroom in a weekend. They're merely entertainment and should come with the sort of warning that superhero progs for kids have: don't try this at home.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Hi Anne
Probably the best thing to do would be to keep researching the forums and have some "visits" to check out areas.
We chosed Costa Blanca as the property prices for the type we wanted were cheaper than the CDS. Plus we like the region. Moving to another Country is a massive move for anyone but cheaper, short flying time and regular flights made Spain a choice for us.
PM me if you would like.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

schooling is at least as good here as the UK, and your kids, when they arrive, would benefit by being bi lingual. Work could be a problem without Spanish, but there are plenty of areas with loads of expats that people can find work, but not maybe the sort they want. You do not need to go through the immigration rigmarole to come here, just get on a plane, drive down and you can live here without any immigration red tape. You just ahve to ensure that you use a decent solicitor to represent you for house purchse and you should have no problems. Houses are cheap, and it is a buyers market, there are loads on the market, and you should be able to barter them down, remember that many estate agents add on a very large percentage to the price for thei own commission. Properties may well be on several estate agents books, and all at different prices, look on the internet and there are direct selling agents who just put you in touch with the sellers, no commission, so usually several thousand euros cheaper.
Old May 10th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I could not have gone as far as OZ ok as another post says you have internet etc but it is just not the same as seeing family face to face as it is so easy to get back for a few days to catch up or for them to come here even for a weekend.

I agree with the other poster saying come and look at different area's what suits me for instance may well not suit you. But good luck in your venture
Old May 10th 2008, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Tavirasue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Hi Anne
Probably the best thing to do would be to keep researching the forums and have some "visits" to check out areas.
We chosed Costa Blanca as the property prices for the type we wanted were cheaper than the CDS. Plus we like the region. Moving to another Country is a massive move for anyone but cheaper, short flying time and regular flights made Spain a choice for us.
PM me if you would like.
Sorry Kittykitty, I'm sure you emailed me, but my wretched computer "wiped" it(probably my fault-not good with computers)! Anyway it would be great if you could let me know on this forum about the good things with the Costa Blanca? I'm certain others would like to know too,

In the meantime, I will try to work out why my emails from here are being wiped...

Thanks again
Tavirasue