Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Condensation in my Naya

Condensation in my Naya

Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Condensation in my Naya

Now that the evenings are cooler I am getting lots of condensation in my naya.

Does anyone know if a dehumidifier will help the situation and if so, which would be the best one to buy.

Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Condensation in my Naya

Originally Posted by polly.walker

Does anyone know if a dehumidifier will help the situation and if so, which would be the best one to buy.

Thanks
Ventilation.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Condensation in my Naya

We had our naya glazed last autumn. In mid December we had friends around for a christmas meal, lit the lounge log fire, and also it was quite cold outside.

When we came back from the dining room there was terrible condensation and pools of water on the floor.

Yes ... you need ventilation, I dont think even a dehumidifier would have coped with that!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:37 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We had our naya glazed last autumn. In mid December we had friends around for a christmas meal, lit the lounge log fire, and also it was quite cold outside.

When we came back from the dining room there was terrible condensation and pools of water on the floor.

Yes ... you need ventilation, I dont think even a dehumidifier would have coped with that!
Mitz, for the life of me I can't think where all that water came from. If you had an open fire lit, it should have been stripping air out of the room like there was no tomorrow.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply Mitzyboy.
The biggest problem is when the walls go green with mould. I just wondered if a dehumidifier might help prevent that.

What do you think?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 1:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Mitz, for the life of me I can't think where all that water came from. If you had an open fire lit, it should have been stripping air out of the room like there was no tomorrow.
We werent sure, but the weather was unusually bad outside, the windows had been in only a short time, it was the first log fire of the year .... there was a lot of rain. It's never happened since, we always leave a window slightly open
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by polly.walker

Before you buy a dehumidifier it is worth buying a large cat litter tray, fill it with decent quality cat litter and see if that works, you will of course need to ventilate the room during the day.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate to seem more stupid than I actually am but what pray tell is a "Naya"
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:39 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
I hate to seem more stupid than I actually am but what pray tell is a "Naya"
A Naya is a porch or lean-to. Typically they are sloping rooves adjoinging a property and held up by wooden posts or brick pillars.

It is not unknown for them to be filled in to make additional rooms but (in this area especially) the council is wise to this and would require full planning consent for it to be legal.

I'm not sure what the planning requirements are, though, if you 'fill them in' with a glass curtain - any one know the legalities of this?

Last edited by snikpoh; Nov 14th 2010 at 5:44 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see, thank you.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

shellou will become famous soon enough

Airbrick ventilation should do the trick or even leaving a window open. I look after numerous properties,some of which have suffered from mold and damp and condensation for years before I took over. Just letting some air into the rooms has made a big difference and for the past 2 years no sign of damp or green/black mold patches
Old Nov 16th 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the information.

The only problem we have with leaving a window open is, our windows are the ones that don't have catches on them so one good gust of wind and the window is wide open and swinging about. Do you know if there is any kind of catch that we could attach to it to hold it open just enough
Old Nov 17th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Before you buy a dehumidifier it is worth buying a large cat litter tray, fill it with decent quality cat litter and see if that works, you will of course need to ventilate the room during the day.
What a good idea! My daughter is suffering from condensation back in her pokey downstairs flat in England. Ventilation can be difficult in Downstairs flats. They have a dehumidifier but a long flat with several rooms. Cat litter is bound to be cheaper than those expensive little boxes!
Have you got a trick that works in clothes drawers whitelinen?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:00 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
What a good idea! My daughter is suffering from condensation back in her pokey downstairs flat in England. Ventilation can be difficult in Downstairs flats. They have a dehumidifier but a long flat with several rooms. Cat litter is bound to be cheaper than those expensive little boxes!
I'm curious. I know cat litter is very absorbent, but is it actually hygroscopic?
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by angiescarr

Cat litter absorbs humidity, and damp smells, and it works ....... I know of people who have used it in damp garages etc........... Google was their friend.

As for clothes, Google the question and the answers/remedies appear just like magic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.