British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Computer help please. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/computer-help-please-939398/)

Jon-Bxl Jul 5th 2021 9:29 am

Computer help please.

Hi
I was prompted to upgrade my BIOS in the laptop computer at the weekend and it's completely messed it up. I can't get into Windows!

The support desk says I need to backup the hard disk and then do some special reinstallation of everything - meaning my entire hard disk will be wiped.

The only way is to go to a computer professional who will remove the hard disk + back it up + replace it - and then I can do the reinstallation.

Does anybody know of a good one (on either side of the border), please?

Thanks in advance

Jon
​​​​​​

missile Jul 5th 2021 10:51 am

Re: Computer help please.

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 13025748)
Hi
I was prompted to upgrade my BIOS in the laptop computer at the weekend and it's completely messed it up. I can't get into Windows!

The support desk says I need to backup the hard disk and then do some special reinstallation of everything - meaning my entire hard disk will be wiped.

The only way is to go to a computer professional who will remove the hard disk + back it up + replace it - and then I can do the reinstallation.

Does anybody know of a good one (on either side of the border), please?

Thanks in advance

Jon
​​​​​​

You do not need to remove the hard drive. If you have a savvy friend with a PC, he ought to be able to link to your lap top, download all of your saved data, then re-install windows, then replace your files.
Have you tried to repair windows?

olivia Jul 5th 2021 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 13025771)
You do not need to remove the hard drive. If you have a savvy friend with a PC, he ought to be able to link to your lap top, download all of your saved data, then re-install windows, then replace your files.
Have you tried to repair windows?

Can you restore to an earlier date when you knew all was OK. I think its called system restore.

Jon-Bxl Jul 5th 2021 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 13025887)
Can you restore to an earlier date when you knew all was OK. I think its called system restore.

Thanks Olivia and Missile.

I cant even open windows.... and after a long discussion (where we tried Safe Mode (which didnt happen) , and other things) the support expert told me that I had no other options.

Without Windows I cant system restore to an earlier date, backup, give remote access etc. I'm pretty sure windows is ok, as mentioned its a bios problem that stops me going further after power up.

So I just need a name and contact details of a trusted computer pro either side of the border... if anyone knows one please.

Thanks again
Jon

missile Jul 5th 2021 7:12 pm

It is not that difficult. Any computer shop should be able to help you.

Always back up before updating Windows or BIOS. Ask whomever you get to repair your laptop to create a bootable back up disk for you. Download important files to a portable hard drive / cloud storage.

Jon-Bxl Jul 5th 2021 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 13025938)
It is not that difficult. Any computer shop should be able to help you.

Always back up before updating Windows or BIOS. Ask whomever you get to repair your laptop to create a bootable back up disk for you. Download important files to a portable hard drive / cloud storage.

Thanks again, I know.... but I'm looking for a recommendation of someone trusted.... name + number please.

Jon

neil77 Jul 5th 2021 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 13025944)
Thanks again, I know.... but I'm looking for a recommendation of someone trusted.... name + number please.

Jon

Try Esquiel, who is very 'Savvy' on computers Jon, he is the local expert. Ive got his number, his workshop is down by the market. I'll get the number to you shortly, he speaks English fluently

Jon-Bxl Jul 6th 2021 6:06 am

Originally Posted by neil77 (Post 13026025)
Try Esquiel, who is very 'Savvy' on computers Jon, he is the local expert. Ive got his number, his workshop is down by the market. I'll get the number to you shortly, he speaks English fluently

Hi Neil77
Exactly what I asked for... thank you so much. On The Forum, in such a short time - one can get help.:thumbup:

I realise theres another side too and one can get frustrated at some insensitive replies but the good outweighs the bad for me. So thanks again, it's much appreciated.

I need a personal recommendation as I'm handing over my hard disk which has personal information. Like everybody elses.

In fact a warning:: a few weeks I got a call ostensibly from "Microsoft" telling me that there was suspicious activity on my new laptop. Asking me to check various folders and one that purported to show nearly 2000 problems.

I knew it was a scam, I was in Belgium, they spoke English only with an Asian accent!! But I was intrigued (lockdown-boredom!! ). It was when they asked me to download a 3rd party remote access software, that I refused. This gives them total access to your computer, and more importantly the data on it. Huge IT companies would never use cheap 3rd party software - or approach customers like this. I asked some questions and they just hung up on me!

Ill check him out soon..... Muchos gracias
Jon
https://www.biocatch.com/blog/remote-access-scam-protect-customers

And. 4 out of 10 dont know about these scams

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/11/remote-access-scams-the-call-that-could-wipe-out-your-life-savings/

MikeJ Jul 6th 2021 10:57 pm

Jon
You should not need to remove your hard disc, which will still have a perfectly good Windows partition. It's just that you can't access it at the moment as your boot is screwed. You need your expert, when you find them, to use a rescue disc (or more likely a memory stick) . Tell your bios to boot via USB rather than the HDD and the rescue disc should be able to restore your boot block and load up Windows. In any case there is no need to wipe your disc of data as it should be possible to repair Windows if it is corrupted (unlikely). Wiping your disc really is a last resort and usually only necessary if you have a very very bad malware infection.
I had a similar problem last year, fortunately I have a second PC so was able to order rescue stick from Amazon!
Just a little friendly info so you don't get ripped off - it should be an easy fix and not expensive. Don't panic 😰
Mike

Jon-Bxl Jul 7th 2021 9:13 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 13026580)
Jon
You should not need to remove your hard disc, which will still have a perfectly good Windows partition. It's just that you can't access it at the moment as your boot is screwed. You need your expert, when you find them, to use a rescue disc (or more likely a memory stick) . Tell your bios to boot via USB rather than the HDD and the rescue disc should be able to restore your boot block and load up Windows. In any case there is no need to wipe your disc of data as it should be possible to repair Windows if it is corrupted (unlikely). Wiping your disc really is a last resort and usually only necessary if you have a very very bad malware infection.
I had a similar problem last year, fortunately I have a second PC so was able to order rescue stick from Amazon!
Just a little friendly info so you don't get ripped off - it should be an easy fix and not expensive. Don't panic 😰
Mike

Thanks Mike,
​​​​​I was hoping that you would step in! :thumbsup:​​​​

My new laptop was bought in February, and still under warranty. So called their tech support, and after various attempts the only thing left (according to them) was to use this 'kind of' factory reset - which means wiping everything. So removing the HD + backing up first is logical.

However, your solution sounds great! I will try that first for sure!! Thank you !!

I always make a full backup before traveling to Spain. And as this is the first time back after 16 months lockdown, Ive not really done anything new, due to heavy partying!! With the exception of downloading our Covid travel certificates (only possible on the PC with a card reader to read our digital ID's on our ID cards chips). Luckily I emailed the certificates to myself, so can access them from any device.

So I will go to the local expert and we will do your solution first. If, somehow, that doesn't work, I will wait to get back to do the factory reset, and use my old backup. If I need the PC for anything important (eg new travel certificates) I'll go back to the expert to do the lot!

What's interesting is that a few years ago, I couldn't live without the PC - using it daily. Now with smartphones + tablets, so much can be done. I bought an app yesterday to allow my phone to print things like boarding passes, Covid certificates etc. I'm using my PC less and less now, and it will be a good 'test' to see if I can 'survive' without it for a few weeks! But fixing it would be great of course. I'll go to the local expert and do your fix first.

Thanks again
Jon
PS here are the details of the expert that Neil77 recommended... For anyone else who has problems...

Esquiel is the local computer and programme/software expert. His workshop is near the market in town, Esquiel +34667695758

MKABZ Jul 8th 2021 6:44 am

Esquiel is the local computer and programme/software expert. His workshop is near the market in town, Esquiel +34667695758
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...
Where is the market mentioned above? The only market I know is the one which sets up alongside the river, by the bus station. :confused:
Mary.

MikeJ Jul 8th 2021 7:29 am

Originally Posted by MKABZ (Post 13027121)
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...
Where is the market mentioned above? The only market I know is the one which sets up alongside the river, by the bus station. :confused:
Mary.

It's the indoor marker which is in Calle Trajano just past the little hardware store - or opposite the end of Plaza La Lota on the other side.

MKABZ Jul 8th 2021 8:21 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 13027138)
It's the indoor marker which is in Calle Trajano just past the little hardware store - or opposite the end of Plaza La Lota on the other side.

Ah, that sounds like the place I have always called the fish market. Thanks.
Mary.

Loco Jul 10th 2021 12:48 am

This is very likely to be a known Windows 11 update problem.

To solve it try this
1. Turn on your laptop. Almost immediately and certainly within a few seconds hit the F10, F2, F12, F1, or DEL key to get into its BIOS. Its a process of elimination to find which works ( Better still type in your make and model and then BIOS to find the correct key to press in the first place).

2. Once into the BIOS the aim is to enable the TPM 2 setting. You may have to hit the advanced button or F2 key to find it. It may be called on Intel chips PTT and on AMD chips FTPM.

3. Once enabled save and then reboot.

​​​​​4. If it still doesn't boot into Windows message me with the make and model number

Best

Loco

Loco Jul 10th 2021 1:10 am

Whoops I forgot !!!!!

You also need to make sure secure/safe boot is enabled in the BIOS.

Best
Loco