British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is it as complex as it seems ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/complex-seems-921854/)

karenlamb Feb 7th 2019 10:42 am

Is it as complex as it seems !

Morning Spain
Me and husband are thinking of moving to Spain this year although not decided on area yet but starting / looking at Costa Del Sole in April. As keen as we are when I look up information it looks very confusing . Also on asking EX Pats we net such a negative reply, such as system corrupt, always paying taxes, One set of rules for English and one for Spanish the estate agents not concerned about clients only want money. So you can see its all quite negative. I'm sure it can't all be so bar ? Yes I guess there's things to sort as there would be if buying in UK . I would appreciate any feed back good or bad all helps Karen

snikpoh Feb 7th 2019 11:51 am

Re: Is it as complex as it seems !

Originally Posted by karenlamb (Post 12633698)
Morning Spain
Me and husband are thinking of moving to Spain this year although not decided on area yet but starting / looking at Costa Del Sole in April. As keen as we are when I look up information it looks very confusing . Also on asking EX Pats we net such a negative reply, such as system corrupt, always paying taxes, One set of rules for English and one for Spanish the estate agents not concerned about clients only want money. So you can see its all quite negative. I'm sure it can't all be so bar ? Yes I guess there's things to sort as there would be if buying in UK . I would appreciate any feed back good or bad all helps Karen

I've never really understood why Brits who've chosen to live in Spain are so negative and are always complaining. A lot of what they moan about isn't even true - just bar room gossip.

For example (IME), there is NOT one set of rules for the English and another for the Spanish. They may well feel like that if they don't integrate!

Yes, the system is more corrupt than in UK but it's getting better.

Yes one has to pay taxes, just like in UK - doh!

bxpuser24710519 Feb 7th 2019 12:16 pm

Costa del Sol is the other side from where I am, but I think the advice is still the same. Learn the language, use it even if you get it wrong. There are taxes just like any other country. I have not come across one rule for the British and one for Spanish. Estate Agents are the same no matter where you go, seldom find an honest one. The system is different here, many things are, this is NOT the UK. They have there own ways, which I think we should respect and abide by. I think the UK is more corrupt than many believe.

missile Feb 7th 2019 12:38 pm

I have never found it to be as you describe. However if you are looking for little England in the sun, you will be disappointed.

Rosemary Feb 7th 2019 1:18 pm

Everyone will have different experiences of living in Spain because it can very much depend on the area that you choose and what your expectations are. Some end up realising that the life here is not all fun and sun but has a serious side to it too such as the need to fill out forms and visit offices to ensure that they are here legally and to gain services. For some this can be very daunting especially if they had not thought things through sufficiently. Many view the necessary paperwork as an intrusion into their lives, many state that they should not need to go through this process and many have not. Those that did not deal with this when they should have done are now panicking due to Brexit and are finding that there are so many now trying to get into the system that there are long delays so they are complaining.

If you deal with the paperwork as soon as you can and accept that this will take an amount of organising and that this may take up some of your time you can then sit back and enjoy what Spain has to offer. Choose your area carefully, research as much as you possibly can prior to moving, set yourself goals once here and do not expect things to happen fast

The negatives are the same here as they are in any country. Those who complain and moan are usually the people who have found that life here is not what they expected. This could be due to the need to work and work is hard to come by, they did not think about working in the heat, the long hours that are worked or many other factors such as they made a mistake in their choice of area.

The positives come about if you have taken a lot of time deciding on an area, chosen a place that really does suit your needs and the lifestyle that you want.

Personally I have never found that I am treated any different from the Spanish that I live with.

Rosemary

Loafing Along Feb 7th 2019 1:30 pm

We live on the Costa del Sol - Snikpoh has summed up the situation very well " Bar room gossip" is a real issue and becomes the definition of what happens if you do not speak the language. Generally public services excellent - Costa del Sol Hospital world-class if one compares it to NHS ( my opinion based on press reports as I don't visit the Uk if I can avoid it :thumbsup:) , Social Security staff helpful but typical bureaucrats - you need the right bits of paper ! Police service generally very good. Many services require online booking or you get turned-away but if you follow the procedure you are attended punctually and efficiently. Estate agents - there are all sorts from the genuinely interested to the pure sellers of what they have on their books.Define your requirements very carefully and be firm, you will soon eliminate the agents you don't want to work with...
Spanish taxes quite onerous and would recommend a good gestor to take you through the annual procedures ( Wealth Statement and annual Income Tax ) at least for the first few years.

Learn some basic language and do not shut yourself in an english enclave otherwise you will have missed the point of being here

Remember a lot of the Costa del Sol population is transient, short-term holidaymakers and this does colour the opinion of many locals but if you live there, adapt a bit you will soon get to love the area.

karenlamb Feb 8th 2019 3:20 pm

Afternoon all and thank you all for your reply i am very grateful. I don't think there was anything unexpected or that we already thought ourselves. Well go in April and check out what we can we've hired a car to enable us to better to get around. There was another couple of questions you maybe able to help with? Were not retired yet apparently I've another 9 yrs of work !~!! anyway I understand we won't be entitled yet to use health system free till pension age , (guess that's something to get back to ), other than private health insurance are we able to pay into the Spanish system ? And can anyone remember ball park figure on costs of buying on top of house price ?? Thanks all have a good day Karen

bob_bob Feb 8th 2019 3:51 pm

Common sense says don't buy for the first year rent and make sure the move is right for you. Buying property is very easy, finding a buyer when you need/want to sell up is a whole new ball game. I take it neither of you need to work to support yourselves in Spain?

Loafing Along Feb 8th 2019 4:48 pm

After one year some regions let you pay into their SS system. Until then has to be private.

Calculate about 12% on house purchase extras. Taxes, Notary etc

Longlegpete Feb 10th 2019 3:24 pm

I think the reason some brits are always moaning about Spain is because they come over and try to dodge everything they can, this leads to the always paying taxes and corruption bit, because they get found out, I'm sure half the expats dont legally live in Spain anyway!.

I'm not for one minute saying dodgy things don't happen because they do, I'm saying it not as bad as it painted, there are some odd laws/customs but it's something you have to live with.

It would be almost impossible to find an estate agent in any country that doesn't care more about the money than the client, nature of the beast

Lmj2018 Feb 10th 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by karenlamb (Post 12634253)
Afternoon all and thank you all for your reply i am very grateful. I don't think there was anything unexpected or that we already thought ourselves. Well go in April and check out what we can we've hired a car to enable us to better to get around. There was another couple of questions you maybe able to help with? Were not retired yet apparently I've another 9 yrs of work !~!! anyway I understand we won't be entitled yet to use health system free till pension age , (guess that's something to get back to ), other than private health insurance are we able to pay into the Spanish system ? And can anyone remember ball park figure on costs of buying on top of house price ?? Thanks all have a good day Karen

hi,
we are under state retirement age, not working. For us to get residency we had to take out private medical insurance. We have been here just over a year and have now been accepted into the Spanish health system. This is free, no contribution required. Our medical cards also give substantial discount on medication. As long as you do a bit of research ensure you are legal, learn Spanish avoid expat areas, it can be a brilliant lifestyle

VEDShappy Feb 11th 2019 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Lmj2018 (Post 12635159)

hi,
we have been here just over a year and have now been accepted into the Spanish health system. This is free, no contribution required. Our medical cards also give substantial discount on medication.

Which region are you?

Lmj2018 Feb 11th 2019 7:39 am

Originally Posted by VEDShappy (Post 12635382)
Which region are you?

hi we are near Albox, Almeria

VEDShappy Feb 11th 2019 7:46 am

Thanks, i thought as much.

The free universal healthcare hasn't been implemented in all regions and quite possibly won't.
If this is something that is important to the OP then they need to bear that in mind.

bfg69bug Feb 12th 2019 9:11 pm

An interesting read : https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/hea...care-in-spain/

We have been looking at buying a house. You should be aware that spanish banks only give a maximum of an 80% mortgage on an "urban" house or 65% max on a "rustic" house. The fees are around 12% and need to be paid "upfront" We were told that if we didnt have at least 40,000€ in the bank to stop looking because we wouldnt be able to buy anything. Its very disheartening for a 1st time buyer. We have paid around 60,000 euros in rent over 10 years - on time and in full - and now we are looking at mortgages that online calculators will say will cost 250-350 a month we cant get one because we have nothing saved up.