Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Community/social life in north Costa Blanca

Community/social life in north Costa Blanca

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

prg236 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Community/social life in north Costa Blanca

Hello, as part of our research prior to moving to the north Costa Blanca we would like to ask if any members can give us their opinions/experiences about full-time living in the area with regards to social activities (not bars/pub music nights etc).
We would like to know if there are clubs and groups with interests in charity work/classical music/tennis/craft/chess/amateur dramatics/astronomy and such like.
We have lived in several European countries and know that even when speaking the language well one is never really part of the local community. Everyone might be friendly but we are always on the outside.
However, British expatriate communities have the ability to create a community life that can sustain and, in some degree, replace what we would have back in the UK. Does this happen in your area/urbanisation?
Where we live now is beautiful, friendly etc. etc, but far too quiet and almost deserted in the winter - we would like to have the possibility to join in and build a life.
We would love to hear from you. Thank you, Pat
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 12:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community/social life in north Costa Blanca

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Hello and welcome
The north Costa Blanca is well covered by groups dealing with most if not all the topics you have listed. Groups are advertised in the local British press and I recommend you google Round Town News, Euro Weekly News and Costa Blanca News for their contents. The last listed has a price to pay, I believe. Others are certainly on the web.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try these two, although I have not as yet been to the Oliva U3A

Gandia Area Social Club Home Page

U3A Oliva - Home
Old Aug 24th 2014, 2:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to U3A, and it's certainly a good way to get to know people. Went only to the Photography, but I know people who have attended pilates ... no bad reports. It's quite active in The Oliva region
Old Aug 25th 2014, 2:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live now is beautiful, friendly etc. etc, but far too quiet and almost deserted in the winter
Where do you live now?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

As occasional visitors to Oliva, we have got to know a few people from U3A and a nicer bunch you couldn't hope to meet. However, if you look at their website, they limit membership to 500 and there is now a waiting list to join. We hope to move over there permanently in a couple of years so maybe we should get our names down on the list now!
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
As occasional visitors to Oliva, we have got to know a few people from U3A and a nicer bunch you couldn't hope to meet. However, if you look at their website, they limit membership to 500 and there is now a waiting list to join. We hope to move over there permanently in a couple of years so maybe we should get our names down on the list now!
Thats very surprising to hear KW, there had never been any talk about limiting overall numbers in the past. The web site says it's a group of almost 500 members, but I didn't see anything about limiting it. The talk was always about keeping trying to increasing membership to be honest. Is it possible the restriction is for certain groups that are already full to capacity?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 10:21 am
Just Joined

prg236 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to those who replied with useful information.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats very surprising to hear KW, there had never been any talk about limiting overall numbers in the past. The web site says it's a group of almost 500 members, but I didn't see anything about limiting it.
On their home page, it says: "It costs just 7 Euros a year to be a member ... and you can join online by clicking here" When you click the link, it takes you to a page that says: "Thank you for your interest in U3A Oliva. Unfortunately the membership is limited to 500 members and is now full. However we do have a waiting list and membership places can be filled as and when they become available."

I still can't fathom why you'd want to limit the number of members but there you go.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
On their home page, it says: "It costs just 7 Euros a year to be a member ... and you can join online by clicking here" When you click the link, it takes you to a page that says: "Thank you for your interest in U3A Oliva. Unfortunately the membership is limited to 500 members and is now full. However we do have a waiting list and membership places can be filled as and when they become available."

I still can't fathom why you'd want to limit the number of members but there you go.
I seen that statement yesterday and have now registered my intent to join.

Maybe if it seems exclusive we will queue up? Well it worked with me.