Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

I bought a similar one during my early years in the Canaries.
Everything had to be kept spot on or else.
Doors had to be varnished at least once a year.
Nothing unsightly showing on the terrace.
At siesta time almost total silence and no kids in the pool.
That is bearable.

I had both cops and security guards knocking on my door a few times in the early hours, when all I was doing was sitting on the terrace having a quiet chat with some floozie or other, and I do mean a very quiet chat.
That is NOT bearable.

DSB.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:57 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by lynnxa
in Florida we weren't supposed to swim in our own private pool after 8pm!!

in practice you could - but if like the rental 3 doors up you had wild pool parties at 3am, one call to the local sheriff & they were there within minutes to break things up

you also weren't allowed to dry clothes in view of the neighbours - not even towels over the back of a sun lounger
Much the same,definitely no washing on show.
Communal Pool closed from early evening on.
Also similar to what I recall from Florida pool supervisors or little Hitlers,... "No Toobs in the Pool",... Jeez,they used to be drunk with power over there.
ie during the few hours the kids were allowed in the pool they couldn't take anything in with them.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:58 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
I bought a similar one during my early years in the Canaries.
Everything had to be kept spot on or else.
Doors had to be varnished at least once a year.
Nothing unsightly showing on the terrace.
At siesta time almost total silence and no kids in the pool.
That is bearable.

I had both cops and security guards knocking on my door a few times in the early hours, when all I was doing was sitting on the terrace having a quiet chat with some floozie or other, and I do mean a very quiet chat.
That is NOT bearable.

DSB.

Depends on what type of person you are. Some people just LOVE the idea of everyone else being forced to conform to their lifestyle.

Personally I don't find any of that bearable.

I can appreciate that under certain conditions, a small amount of noise or irritation can be intolerable when living cheek by jowl with your neighbours.

If you are like me, then you wouldn't want to live anywhere like that. I like to live close enough to a small number of people so we can all keep an eye out for each other, but not so close that we either rub each other raw, or else have to live a desperately constrained life.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Wow! We've been told that we are too lenient....... but I just see it as not being unreasonable.... things like hanging clothes to dry, we've roof terraces so I think it was fair to ask people not to hang clothes in the gardens etc.

But this family are a nightmare, it is their children mainly but the parents are something else!

The list is endless, the children are throwing mud and everything that isn't tied down into the pool, throwing mud at peoples patios doors etc etc the parents even let their children play on the golf course and when I asked them to come off the course the father told me to f++k off and that he had let them play there! What type of parent allows their child to play on a golf course!!!!

We are voting it in at the AGM that children cannot play in the public areas unaccompanied.....hence the root of my post....
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We have a house in Florida and it is strict run community but nothing silly about using your own pool. Not hanging out washing suits me fine as some people would have it hanging every day and have the place looking like a council estate. There is no short term rental allowed either, only 6 months and over which suits us.

When we first moved to Spain we already had a holiday home in a community. Loved it but when we lived in it full time it turned into a nightmare. Noisy rental neighbours and another renter had two dogs on his roof terrace which yapped all day! The community did nothing despite numerous complaints, neither did the Police. I could never live on a community again in Spain.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:32 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely couldn’t survive in a ‘community’. We’re ordinary people and try not to disturb others, but occasionally we have friends and family over and occasionally we have a celebratory occasion, which may create excessive noise for a short time.

We also have dogs to guard us and on some occasions during the day when we’re out shopping, or whatever, they bark when they think burglars are around. They’re indoors overnight, and if they bark at four in the morning, burglars are around.

One of my neighbours has just put a satellite dish in his garden, he must be a spy or a Martian, the bloody thing is at least three metres high and if I use wireless on my laptop, I get messages in Chinese.

And walls only a metre high? Ours are two-and-a-half metres high.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

It is tough, we are 13 houses that's all!

The most frustrating is that it is the English that cause us problems......not the Spanish or the Swiss or the Gibraltarians or the French or the Israelis! (we're a mixed bunch aren't we!) just the Brits and it is embarrassing!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
It is tough, we are 13 houses that's all!

The most frustrating is that it is the English that cause us problems......not the Spanish or the Swiss or the Gibraltarians or the French or the Israelis! (we're a mixed bunch aren't we!) just the Brits and it is embarrassing!
Vote on sending an official letter to the owners holding them responsible for their renters antics and demand they sort it out or the community will denounce them.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:45 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! We've been told that we are too lenient....... but I just see it as not being unreasonable.... things like hanging clothes to dry, we've roof terraces so I think it was fair to ask people not to hang clothes in the gardens etc.

But this family are a nightmare, it is their children mainly but the parents are something else!

The list is endless, the children are throwing mud and everything that isn't tied down into the pool, throwing mud at peoples patios doors etc etc the parents even let their children play on the golf course and when I asked them to come off the course the father told me to f++k off and that he had let them play there! What type of parent allows their child to play on a golf course!!!!

We are voting it in at the AGM that children cannot play in the public areas unaccompanied.....hence the root of my post....
Clearly they are Pikey scum & are used to having everything their way & all those in power bending over backwards to assist/understand the poor wretches plight, still you have an advantage as they are not now in the UK.
BTW they are not children but just pikey adults in training oh and vote all you like, they will still ignore you.

All the farmers across Spain are getting rid of the pests/waste/cuttings at this time of year
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I know an owner that is being threatened by Court action because his long term Tenants will not abide by the Community Rules and there is a meeting coming up and one of the points on the agenda is that the community are going to vote to stop him having tenants in the property and according to the community statutes that is allowed!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

The owners of the property owe us 6 grand in community fees, a payment plan has been in place for the last 6 months, but that took me 2 years to get going!

I will try writing to the tenants 1 more time and see what happens!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The owners of the property owe us 6 grand in community fees, a payment plan has been in place for the last 6 months, but that took me 2 years to get going!

I will try writing to the tenants 1 more time and see what happens!
Get a lawyer to send it registered to the owners.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
All the farmers across Spain are getting rid of the pests/waste/cuttings at this time of year
That seems like the best way to go.....make life unbearable for them and they may just move out.