Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:32 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Marbella
Posts: 256
Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Hola all,

Once a rule has been voted in at the community AGM, can it then be legally enforced?

Thanks in advance
Emma-Louise is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:43 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,058
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Hola all,

Once a rule has been voted in at the community AGM, can it then be legally enforced?

Thanks in advance
Yes, usually, community rules are what you and others must live by. Communities even have the final right to force people to sell their properties for serious infringements of the rules, which had happened to previous owners of the house we bought.
mikelincs is online now  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:55 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Marbella
Posts: 256
Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Things like;

No fences higher than 1m.....
No visable sky dishes
No children unaccompanied

etc

How can they enforce these rules?
Emma-Louise is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:19 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
chrismortley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Isla Canela & Mountnessing
Posts: 702
chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Things like;

No fences higher than 1m.....
No visable sky dishes
No children unaccompanied

etc

How can they enforce these rules?
Last year we held a community EGM.
We were there & voted to raise an emergency fund for repairs & repainting all of our apartments.
The first time the owners that were not present knew about the discission was when 200.00 euros a month was being deducted from their bank accounts.
So if the committee want to enforce a rule they can & will do , I assume by law if need be.
I know of an owner in another block that was made to remove his air con units because it was against the rules.
They might turn a blind eye to some of the minor rules,we are not meant to place smelly rubbish in the refuse bins during the day but no one takes any notice

Last edited by chrismortley; Mar 8th 2011 at 4:23 pm.
chrismortley is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:38 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Marbella
Posts: 256
Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments....

What I don't get is how they get people to abide by the rules.....

We've an English family that are being a nightmare, they just tell everyone to f**k off.....

How on earth do they get people to do things like remove their air-con?
Emma-Louise is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:48 pm
  #6  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments....

What I don't get is how they get people to abide by the rules.....

We've an English family that are being a nightmare, they just tell everyone to f**k off.....

How on earth do they get people to do things like remove their air-con?
they make a denuncia - I've seen it happen
lynnxa is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:05 pm
  #7  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,058
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments....

What I don't get is how they get people to abide by the rules.....

We've an English family that are being a nightmare, they just tell everyone to f**k off.....

How on earth do they get people to do things like remove their air-con?
If you have a problem with someone, then report it to the chairman or other committee member, then let them deal with it. Usually works, certainly did with us with problems with a neighbour and their dog.
mikelincs is online now  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:05 pm
  #8  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments....

What I don't get is how they get people to abide by the rules.....

We've an English family that are being a nightmare, they just tell everyone to f**k off.....

How on earth do they get people to do things like remove their air-con?

If you buy into such a community, then you have to obey the rules.

On some of those gated communities in the States, you are vetted before you are allowed to buy a house there, and the rules are very strict on what colour you can paint your house or front door, what time of day you are permitted to put the garbage out, when you cut the grass and so on ad nauseam.
bil is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:13 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Marbella
Posts: 256
Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

So basically..... we're the presidents and they are simply telling us to f**k off........ it is the tenants (not home-owners) that are not abiding by the rules..... but when they have a violent attitude and are telling us to go away, what are we meant to do?

We've all other home owners complaining to us and demanding that we do something about them..... but what can we do?
Emma-Louise is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:15 pm
  #10  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,058
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
So basically..... we're the presidents and they are simply telling us to f**k off........ it is the tenants (not home-owners) that are not abiding by the rules..... but when they have a violent attitude and are telling us to go away, what are we meant to do?

We've all other home owners complaining to us and demanding that we do something about them..... but what can we do?
your community shpuld have an administrator to deal with this, pass it on to them and they will take the necessary action, including legal action.
mikelincs is online now  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:36 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
cymruambyth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Las Alpujarras
Posts: 218
cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Last year we held a community EGM.
We were there & voted to raise an emergency fund for repairs & repainting all of our apartments.
The first time the owners that were not present knew about the discission was when 200.00 euros a month was being deducted from their bank accounts.
So if the committee want to enforce a rule they can & will do , I assume by law if need be.
I know of an owner in another block that was made to remove his air con units because it was against the rules.
They might turn a blind eye to some of the minor rules,we are not meant to place smelly rubbish in the refuse bins during the day but no one takes any notice
Did they not receive minutes of the EGM?
cymruambyth is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:11 pm
  #12  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Free Beer link to Communities. HERE Get the owner to sort it or hold a meeting, vote and denounce them.
jdr is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:45 pm
  #13  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by bil
If you buy into such a community, then you have to obey the rules.

On some of those gated communities in the States, you are vetted before you are allowed to buy a house there, and the rules are very strict on what colour you can paint your house or front door, what time of day you are permitted to put the garbage out, when you cut the grass and so on ad nauseam.
I bought a similar one during my early years in the Canaries.
Everything had to be kept spot on or else.
Doors had to be varnished at least once a year.
Nothing unsightly showing on the terrace.
At siesta time almost total silence and no kids in the pool.
I had both cops and security guards knocking on my door a few times in the early hours, when all I was doing was sitting on the terrace having a quiet chat with some floozie or other, and I do mean a very quiet chat.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:48 pm
  #14  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I bought a similar one during my early years in the Canaries.
Everything had to be kept spot on or else.
Doors had to be varnished at least once a year.
Nothing unsightly showing on the terrace.
At siesta time almost total silence and no kids in the pool.
I had both cops and security guards knocking on my door a few times in the early hours, when all I was doing was sitting on the terrace having a quiet chat with some floozie or other, and I do mean a very quiet chat.
That ain't living.
bil is offline  
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:15 am
  #15  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community rules, can they be legally enforced?

Originally Posted by bil
That ain't living.
in Florida we weren't supposed to swim in our own private pool after 8pm!!

in practice you could - but if like the rental 3 doors up you had wild pool parties at 3am, one call to the local sheriff & they were there within minutes to break things up

you also weren't allowed to dry clothes in view of the neighbours - not even towels over the back of a sun lounger
lynnxa is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.