Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cognitive Dissonance

Cognitive Dissonance

Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough
Default Cognitive Dissonance

Cognitive Dissonance

Simple posts using, simple language, as an expression of what an individual feels deep inside about a topic, is HONEST and MEANINGFUL COMMUNICATION.

I, like a lot of other contributors on this site, are university educated and we have at times realized that trying to use language at too higher level, inevitably leads to cognitive dissonance, where the reader thinks that they understand the meaning of what has been written, but understands something different. It makes sense to them, but has nothing to do with what the writer is trying to communicate.

This is the Crisis of Modern Language.

When this phenomenon repeatedly occurs in a thread, then I prefer to lead by demonstration and leave the thread, because it has become meaningless. If; people want to continue, because they get other non-intellectual stimuli out of continuing with their one-liners, that’s great. They’re happy!

I am always happy, because I make it my choice to be so. I have been thru 6 years of terrible back pain following a failed operation, so I don’t speak for the sake of speaking, when I say that I choose to be happy. Try it for yourself, or write to me to find out more.(Choosing to be happy that is not the back op.)

I am not looking for people to make me happy in the mundane sense.

I am looking for both to give and to receive intellectual stimulation and a more find profound happiness.

Love to everybody who reads this post and love to everybody who doesn’t.

Grazy

Last edited by Grazy; Jul 7th 2007 at 7:22 am. Reason: typos
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cognitive Dissonance

and this is in the Spain section rather than the Lounge or even Siesta Time...................................because?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

Dont know about "grazy" more like "crazy"!! Uni education aint that hard anyway and remember "there is many an educated delinquent" !!!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:37 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grazy
Cognitive Dissonance

Simple posts using, simple language, as an expression of what an individual feels deep inside about a topic, is HONEST and MEANINGFUL COMMUNICATION.

I, like a lot of other contributors on this site, are university educated and we have at times realized that trying to use language at too higher level, inevitably leads to cognitive dissonance, where the reader thinks that they understand the meaning of what has been written, but understands something different. It makes sense to them, but has nothing to do with what the writer is trying to communicate.

This is the Crisis of Modern Language.

When this phenomenon repeatedly occurs in a thread, then I prefer to lead by demonstration and leave the thread, because it has become meaningless. If; people want to continue, because they get other non-intellectual stimuli out of continuing with their one-liners, that’s great. They’re happy!

I am always happy, because I make it my choice to be so. I have been thru 6 years of terrible back pain following a failed operation, so I don’t speak for the sake of speaking, when I say that I choose to be happy. Try it for yourself, or write to me to find out more.(Choosing to be happy that is not the back op.)

I am not looking for people to make me happy in the mundane sense.

I am looking for both to give and to receive intellectual stimulation and a more find profound happiness.

Love to everybody who reads this post and love to everybody who doesn’t.

Grazy
and your uni education taught you that the word realised has a "Z" yeah?

and do you know us well enough to use Thru? I would have thought Through would have been better wouldn't you?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Grazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the roughGrazy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gettingthere
Dont know about "grazy" more like "crazy"!! Uni education aint that hard anyway and remember "there is many an educated delinquent" !!!
Hi gettingthere,

Isn't that a personal insult or character deformation or some big word like that, not that it bothers me at all, but if it doesn't bother u, then perhaps u have some personal work to do?

Love to you

Crazy Grazy. There just to make u happy.

PS:Please dig a bit deeper and write something that tells me who you really are. I gave up Trying to put people down when I was still at school.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

and do you know us well enough to use Thru? I would have thought Through would have been better wouldn't you?
Grow up!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 7:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I would of assumed a university educated person would know which forum to post this in, but I was wrong.
As it has nothing to do with Spain I will move it to Siesta time.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:02 am
Straw Man.

Grow up!
Thats not very loving is it?

Look, I pointed out your rather obvious spelling mistake, or over reliance on spell check to highlight a point.

You can be a smart arse all you like, but this forum has its fair share of very clever posters, some will surprise you, and people who never had a secondary education let alone a further one, and I love talking to all equally, its what makes up a decent discussion.

Now your OP struck me a little like a patronising bloke in a pub telling people that they is far more intelligent than anyone in there.

No one really cares how smart you are, they just care about advice, friendship, having a laugh and enjoying their time.

If you want a fun discussion I suggest that you post this in the Lounge, that should be fun!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:05 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thats not very loving is it?

Look, I pointed out your rather obvious spelling mistake, or over reliance on spell check to highlight a point.

You can be a smart arse all you like, but this forum has its fair share of very clever posters, some will surprise you, and people who never had a secondary education let alone a further one, and I love talking to all equally, its what makes up a decent discussion.

Now your OP struck me a little like a patronising bloke in a pub telling people that they is far more intelligent than anyone in there.

No one really cares how smart you are, they just care about advice, friendship, having a laugh and enjoying their time.

If you want a fun discussion I suggest that you post this in the Lounge, that should be fun!
and an american spell/grammar check at that, by the looks of it
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:12 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by lynnxa
and an american spell/grammar check at that, by the looks of it
Yeah.

I liked the comment you pulled up in the other thread.

A comment soooo directed at me about going to the pub.

The irony, considering the poster owns a pub!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:13 am
Straw Man.

Oh and Lynn, remind me never to question your intuition again!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:41 am
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

I don't have a Uni education, but guess who's going to win this month's trivia challenge? (that's put the kybosh on that I reckon)
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Hi rugbymatt

Right! Start looking for typos, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors. Wait for it ---------Now!”!!!!

Just in case you don’t already know by reading my other posts. I struggle with failed Back Syndrome and type lying flat on my back with a not very advantageous view of my monitor.

I am also drugged up to the eyeballs with Morphine, Tramadol, Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Clonazepam (If you want to visit me I’ll fix u up with a shot of all this medication and get u to write a post lying flat on your back. You might succeed, but it’d be a tough challenge and u’d learn a lot.)

I do try my best to avoid typos, spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and faux pas and all the other things that small-minded people baulk at. (I also suffer from Word Blindness, so if I checked every single thing, it would take a LONG time to write a post. However as they’re a number of folk on this forum, who get real upset when their ordered life is upset by an outrageous extra consonant, or a double superlative or even something so unimportant as a slimple tlypo. I do promise for all you detail freaks to spend more time checking my stuff before clicking on the image map, that sends it whirling into cyberspace.

However rugbymatt (You’re not Matt Dawson, are you?). That’s not sarcasm, I don’t believe in it. It’s a serious question

Isn’t this forum fun?

Please move up a notch and get off this education thing. We all know that most of what we learn comes from our life experience. I have done uni so what. It tells u jack-s—t, about me or any other graduate. There are great people who have made immense contributions to humanity, who have walked out of uni or not even bothered to attend one.

There are also post grads. Who can’t spell. How threaten this all can be.

The reason I write on this forum is to extend my love to as many people as possible I also enjoy meeting intelligent people.

I am not interested in the lowest form of wit. And I feel I want to help people who need to make themselves feel better, by criticizing those who have had a higher education , out of jealousy or perhaps they just feel that someone who has spent 4 years in higher ed. Should be perfic.

I have nothing bad to say about anybody. I really love you all. Even when your thoughtless, spiteful, sarcastic or just plain pedantic. Hmmmm! Sounds like some of my teachers!

Love

Grazy
Old Jul 7th 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

PoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nicePoolePaul is just really nice

Hi gettingthere,

Isn't that a personal insult or character deformation or some big word like that, not that it bothers me at all, but if it doesn't bother u, then perhaps u have some personal work to do?

Love to you

Crazy Grazy. There just to make u happy.

PS:Please dig a bit deeper and write something that tells me who you really are. I gave up Trying to put people down when I was still at school.
Grazy wrote
Grow up!

Huh
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:02 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I am a post grad that cant spell, tried for years but still cant get it right LOL But so what every one has a right to an opinion with out insulting people. Cant stand people who constantly try to make someone feel less of a person because they cant spell, read, understand grimmer and language.
My Father a man of some integrity cant read or write even his own name it doesnt make him less of a man. I remember vividly as a child a teacher shouting at a fellow pupil about his reading skills or lack of telling him he would never get a job ...... my hand shot up please sister ( i went to a convent school ) she looked over to me in anger My daddy cant read or write but we have a new Jag and a big house and my dad had a good business. she didnt know what to say.
Education does not make the man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.