British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Cockroaches in Alicante?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/cockroaches-alicante-913770/)

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 1:26 pm

Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
Hi All,
I would really welcome any information on the extent of cockroach infestation in Alicante city apartments/hotels. What types of cockroaches can be found there? Do they bite, and if so, are they dangerous? Has anybody had any personal experience of same? Are there more in summer than at other times of the year?

Thank you.

johnnyone Jun 10th 2018 3:36 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
Although north of Alicante I have never had a problem with cockroaches (or flies for that matter) in my house or at restaurants etc.. I have also stayed in Alicante hotels a few times and have never had a problem.

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 4:09 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
Thank you Johnnyone. That's reassuring!!!

I read somewhere last week of someone who had a lot of problems with them in a purchased apartment in the city. As I'm considering a purchase in Alicante (city), I need to know what the situation is.

I discovered one (two inches long, half an inch thick, impossible to squash) in my bathroom in my hotel in Palermo, Sicily last year. It had a body as hard as steel. In the middle of the night, I couldn't appeal to any staff member to remove it. It freaked me out and I really hope I never see another.

Has anyone else any experience of them in Alicante or Spain generally?

mikelincs Jun 10th 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta (Post 12513534)
Hi All,
I would really welcome any information on the extent of cockroach infestation in Alicante city apartments/hotels. What types of cockroaches can be found there? Do they bite, and if so, are they dangerous? Has anybody had any personal experience of same? Are there more in summer than at other times of the year?

Thank you.

Cockroaches do not bite, they are only dangerous in the fact that they can cross infect foods, there are several types, some are small and some are very large. I think that in 4 years we lived in Spain we had no mare than 10 found in our house or apartment.

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
Thank you Mikelincs, RELIEVED to hear they don't bite, and that you have only come accross the odd one!! Seems my experience in Palermo in winter must have been with one of the bigger species!! Was it in any particular season you found them?

HeikeundAlan Jun 10th 2018 6:07 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
we better not tell you that there are flying ones too
I rather have a cockroach then a rat. Hate them since we been to hong kong,
but worse we seen was a old house n benicassim tausend till town send sprayers in

Longlegpete Jun 10th 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
We have a place in the northern costa blanca so in the province of Alacante and have never seen a cockroach in 9 years in our house, we have seen some dead on the floor when looking at apartments to buy but not big ones.

It's seams more likely that you will get them when you are connected to the mains waste supply as they occupy the drains, if you are on a septic tank this seam to avoid the problem.

We do get rats in the garden, they live in our palm trees and have only come near the house after water, we leave them alone and they leave us alone

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 7:14 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan (Post 12513638)
we better not tell you that there are flying ones too
I rather have a cockroach then a rat. Hate them since we been to hong kong,
but worse we seen was a old house n benicassim tausend till town send sprayers in

I've just been reading comments from people on a French expat site. They speak of the ones that fly (white, greyish) which are apparently garden ones who don't survive for long inside, as well as internal ones of a different species (darker) who don't really seem to fly. It seems many people have experienced them in Alicante province, in apart hotels. As you say, if we have to share company with them, better that than a rat....I wouldn't last 5 minutes!! It puts things into perspective!!!! Many thanks for your reply HeikeundAlan.

scot47 Jun 10th 2018 7:17 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
If you get a real cockroach infestation, it is very difficult to deal with them.

spainrico Jun 10th 2018 7:51 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
There is no problem with this pest in Alicante. The town hall takes the appropriate steps via spraying manhole covers etc. There is need to worry and NO they do not bite. Relax.

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 8:34 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12513657)
If you get a real cockroach infestation, it is very difficult to deal with them.

Thank you Scot 47. I believe you. The sprayers would need to be brought in & it would probably be costly!!

However, Spainrico says "The town hall takes the appropriate steps via spraying manhole covers etc", so that's very reassuring. Heat & rubbish play a role in attracting them I suppose. Thanks for replying Spainrico. Much obliged to all.

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 9:11 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 12513649)
We have a place in the northern costa blanca so in the province of Alacante and have never seen a cockroach in 9 years in our house, we have seen some dead on the floor when looking at apartments to buy but not big ones.

It's seams more likely that you will get them when you are connected to the mains waste supply as they occupy the drains, if you are on a septic tank this seam to avoid the problem.

We do get rats in the garden, they live in our palm trees and have only come near the house after water, we leave them alone and they leave us alone


LongLegPete thanks. That's a very interesting observation re the rats in the mains drains versus septic tank - food for thought for anyone considering a purchase. I grew up in a house with a huge garden with a big vegetable patch, and the dog took care of the rats!! He always won, so if they ever become a problem for you (hopefully peace will continue to reign!), get a dog who has his own dog house outside.

Trasnadonnta Jun 10th 2018 9:13 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 
I meant to say cockroaches re the comment on the difference between the main supply drains versus septic tank. Sorry. I DID understand the point you made.

mikelincs Jun 10th 2018 9:43 pm

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta (Post 12513655)
I've just been reading comments from people on a French expat site. They speak of the ones that fly (white, greyish) which are apparently garden ones who don't survive for long inside, as well as internal ones of a different species (darker) who don't really seem to fly. It seems many people have experienced them in Alicante province, in apart hotels. As you say, if we have to share company with them, better that than a rat....I wouldn't last 5 minutes!! It puts things into perspective!!!! Many thanks for your reply HeikeundAlan.

In Aparthotels the problem is often because people are not that good at not leaving food around, and not that careful cleaning up crumbs and spills.

Trasnadonnta Jun 11th 2018 8:38 am

Re: Cockroaches in Alicante??
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12513706)
In Aparthotels the problem is often because people are not that good at not leaving food around, and not that careful cleaning up crumbs and spills.

Thank you Mikelincs.and I suspect some of those apartments might only be cleaned after guest departure. Even in cooler climes like the UK, any decaying organic matter like crumbs & spills also entices silverfish, but at least here's no risk of food contamination with them, contrary to the repulsive cockroaches. Hope I don't see any next month in my Aparthotel!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:18 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.