Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Old Jun 26th 2021, 10:10 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
xande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Hi everyone,

We're hoping to move to Spain and my wife has some skin problems that are made worse by hard water.
So we're wondering if anyone knows of any ideally sunny and quiet coastal areas that have soft water or where the water company softens it.

From our research so far we've found the following, but they are mainly inland and in the North:

Very soft water - Ávila, Mardrid, Toledo, Segovia
Soft water - Burgos, La Coruña, León, Lugo, Orense, Palencia, Salamanca, San Sebastián, Santander, Zambora
From what we've read Blanes has naturally hard water but the water company softens it.

Ultimately if we buy a place we could install a water softener, but we'd like to rent first which makes that more difficult, so starting in an area with soft water would make life easier. We've searched all the short and long-term property rental sites we can think of for 'descalcificador' in the areas we'd like to start-out in (which are all hard water), but haven't had much luck.

Please also let us know if the water is softened in your area, even if it's not coastal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
xande is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 10:44 am
  #2  
DLC
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 629
DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

There's a water hardness map on this page, pale yellow is softest, red is hardest.

Aigües de Barcelona barely manage in making the water drinkable so I doubt they're going to soften it, just in case it's useful they have a water quality checker here. You have to enter an address (plaza mayor or something if you're not sure).

Last edited by DLC; Jun 26th 2021 at 10:54 am.
DLC is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 10:59 am
  #3  
Started off with nothing
 
missile's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,853
missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

I belief water from desalination is soft(?) You might like to visit the water company for the areas you are interested in. Here is link to Aquagest Levante where you can send them an e mail or download a detailed analysis for each of the areas they supply > Water quality control - Hidraqua




Last edited by missile; Jun 26th 2021 at 11:01 am.
missile is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 11:40 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 651
Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Originally Posted by xande View Post
Hi everyone,

We're hoping to move to Spain and my wife has some skin problems that are made worse by hard water.
So we're wondering if anyone knows of any ideally sunny and quiet coastal areas that have soft water or where the water company softens it.

From our research so far we've found the following, but they are mainly inland and in the North:

Very soft water - Ávila, Mardrid, Toledo, Segovia
Soft water - Burgos, La Coruña, León, Lugo, Orense, Palencia, Salamanca, San Sebastián, Santander, Zambora
From what we've read Blanes has naturally hard water but the water company softens it.

Ultimately if we buy a place we could install a water softener, but we'd like to rent first which makes that more difficult, so starting in an area with soft water would make life easier. We've searched all the short and long-term property rental sites we can think of for 'descalcificador' in the areas we'd like to start-out in (which are all hard water), but haven't had much luck.

Please also let us know if the water is softened in your area, even if it's not coastal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Most apartment buildings in our area (inland of Albir, Alicante) have water softeners in the basement.
We have one here, but our neighbours have installed an extra one with one of these heater/cooler things for drinking water.

If you are renting ask the agent, they should be able to find out for you.
Barriej is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 12:42 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
xande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Originally Posted by DLC View Post
There's a water hardness map on this page pale yellow is softest, red is hardest.

Aigües de Barcelona barely manage in making the water drinkable so I doubt they're going to soften it, just in case it's useful they have a water quality checker here You have to enter an address (plaza mayor or something if you're not sure).
Thanks for the link and info. Unfortunately the map doesn't seem accurate. Having just checked several of the places in the 'Blanda' section on the east cost. They were all very hard in degrees French.
Vinaroz es de: 30,4 ºH F
Chilches es de: 49,5 ºH F
Tortosa, Santa Clara (Tít. Hidrot.) 37
Peñíscola: 39.2 ºH F

Agree about Barcelona, the water is not nice and ranges from hard to super hard.

Last edited by xande; Jun 26th 2021 at 12:56 pm. Reason: typo
xande is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 12:44 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
xande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Originally Posted by missile View Post
I belief water from desalination is soft(?) You might like to visit the water company for the areas you are interested in. Here is link to Aquagest Levante where you can send them an e mail or download a detailed analysis for each of the areas they supply > Water quality control - Hidraqua
Thanks!
xande is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 12:47 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
xande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Originally Posted by Barriej View Post
Most apartment buildings in our area (inland of Albir, Alicante) have water softeners in the basement.
We have one here, but our neighbours have installed an extra one with one of these heater/cooler things for drinking water.

If you are renting ask the agent, they should be able to find out for you.
Thanks! We have been trying asking the agents, but so far they haven't been helpful! Good to know about building wide basement softeners.
xande is offline  
Old Jun 26th 2021, 5:30 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,202
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Originally Posted by xande View Post
Hi everyone,

We're hoping to move to Spain and my wife has some skin problems that are made worse by hard water.
So we're wondering if anyone knows of any ideally sunny and quiet coastal areas that have soft water or where the water company softens it.

From our research so far we've found the following, but they are mainly inland and in the North:

Very soft water - Ávila, Mardrid, Toledo, Segovia
Soft water - Burgos, La Coruña, León, Lugo, Orense, Palencia, Salamanca, San Sebastián, Santander, Zambora
From what we've read Blanes has naturally hard water but the water company softens it.

Ultimately if we buy a place we could install a water softener, but we'd like to rent first which makes that more difficult, so starting in an area with soft water would make life easier. We've searched all the short and long-term property rental sites we can think of for 'descalcificador' in the areas we'd like to start-out in (which are all hard water), but haven't had much luck.

Please also let us know if the water is softened in your area, even if it's not coastal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I don't know but wife complained about water hardness at our home in Ireland and since we installed water softener no issues. In Spain we have a holiday home near Lloret/Blanes and no need for one there.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2021, 8:29 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
xande is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coastal or any areas with soft water?

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
I don't know but wife complained about water hardness at our home in Ireland and since we installed water softener no issues. In Spain we have a holiday home near Lloret/Blanes and no need for one there.
Thanks Moses, That's really good to know.
xande is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.