Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Closing Spanish bank account from UK

Closing Spanish bank account from UK

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Luluthelurcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Closing Spanish bank account from UK

When my mother died in southern Spain 3 years ago I had to open an account with Unicaja to keep the utility bills etc ticking over whilst the house was being sold.
Now that the house has been sold I need to close the account. I cannot go to Spain to visit a branch to close in person. I don't speak speak Spanish so telephoning is a problem.
What I need to know is whether there is a template letter that I can use that will work with a Spanish account?

Many Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing Spanish bank account from UK

Originally Posted by Luluthelurcher
When my mother died in southern Spain 3 years ago I had to open an account with Unicaja to keep the utility bills etc ticking over whilst the house was being sold.
Now that the house has been sold I need to close the account. I cannot go to Spain to visit a branch to close in person. I don't speak speak Spanish so telephoning is a problem.
What I need to know is whether there is a template letter that I can use that will work with a Spanish account?

Many Thanks
There are several websites offering a standard cancellation letter , in Spanish obviously, this is one example :
https://www.ocu.org/dinero/cuenta-ba...rriente457814#

Search for " Cancelacion de la cuenta corriente " and you will find other examples. Put into Google translate should let you understand the content

If you do use such a letter make sure you send it registered post

Last edited by Loafing Along; Feb 3rd 2019 at 4:11 am. Reason: Additional Comment
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

My mother had a bank account here in Spain but lived in UK. She left it for a number of years unaware that there was a sizeable amount left. Despite numerous letters and phone calls she could not access the account to close it as she was told it had to be done in person. Eventually I brought her over but it was a real hassle.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 12:53 am
Just Joined

Luluthelurcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!