Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Closing bank accounts and moving direct debits (domiciliaciones)

Closing bank accounts and moving direct debits (domiciliaciones)

Old Oct 6th 2018, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Closing bank accounts and moving direct debits (domiciliaciones)

Hi there everyone, I want to close a spanish bank account in person and since having not done it before have a few questions:

Will they issue me with a cheque on closing or cash?
I have some direct debits with that account that I will need with a different spanish bank.

Is it best to try and set these up with the new bank (if I get a print out of the direct debits with the old bank) or go to each company (electricity, water, ayuntamiento, insurance) and changeover with them?

Any advice appreciated!
Old Oct 7th 2018, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing bank accounts and moving direct debits (domiciliaciones)

Hi. We closed a bank account with minimal funds in there, and got cash. We closed an account with a good bit more in there and got a bankers order. If you can, sort the other account and transfer from the account you will be closing.

Standing orders are administered by a SEPA system in Spain, usually, so your new bank should be able to link your new account to SEPA stuff in your name on a push of a key.

Anything else not on SEPA, watch it carefully. The amount of cock ups we had to contend with from two major banks here. If I had the time again, I would definitely update the provider with the new payment details myself in respect of non SEPA stuff.

Also monitor any payments you have coming IN at the early stages.

Last edited by lurchio; Oct 7th 2018 at 6:42 am.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just now moving from Sabadell to OpenBank and they have a form I can scan and email which will transfer them.
Old Oct 7th 2018, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio View Post
Hi. We closed a bank account with minimal funds in there, and got cash. We closed an account with a good bit more in there and got a bankers order. If you can, sort the other account and transfer from the account you will be closing.

Standing orders are administered by a SEPA system in Spain, usually, so your new bank should be able to link your new account to SEPA stuff in your name on a push of a key.

Anything else not on SEPA, watch it carefully. The amount of cock ups we had to contend with from two major banks here. If I had the time again, I would definitely update the provider with the new payment details myself in respect of non SEPA stuff.

Also monitor any payments you have coming IN at the early stages.
Thanks for the info. So how do I know if my direct debits are SEPA? Most were set up in 2003-2009.