Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Claiming UK pension in Spain

Claiming UK pension in Spain

Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Claiming UK pension in Spain

My wife will be 60 in December (don't tell her I told you) and she's received a letter from the Pension Service in the UK about claiming her pension. The complication is that she is employed in Spain, paying into Spanish national insurance etc. The letter says that if her last employment was in an EAA (European Economic Area) country in this case Spain she has to claim her UK pension through the Social Security department in Spain. Has anyone had experience of doing that? She hasnt worked long enough in Spain to get a Spanish pension.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming UK pension in Spain

It is a common misconception that you have to work in Spain for 15 years before you can claim a Spanish pension. If you have worked in other EU countries you can get credit for your limited Spanish SS payments added to your UK plus other countries pensions.

Usually the responsibility for paying the pension falls to the country with the greatest number of contributions, in this case the UK.

A phone call to the DWP in Newcastle would seem a good idea under the circumstances.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:46 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

You may find this interesting...

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/country.asp#one
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by petew
My wife will be 60 in December (don't tell her I told you) and she's received a letter from the Pension Service in the UK about claiming her pension. The complication is that she is employed in Spain, paying into Spanish national insurance etc. The letter says that if her last employment was in an EAA (European Economic Area) country in this case Spain she has to claim her UK pension through the Social Security department in Spain. Has anyone had experience of doing that? She hasnt worked long enough in Spain to get a Spanish pension.
Thanks for your suggestions. I had already looked on the pensions service website but it doesn't help much. I am going to phone them but want to find out as much as possible before I do (so I know the rgiht quetions to ask!)
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:52 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
Thanks for your suggestions. I had already looked on the pensions service website but it doesn't help much. I am going to phone them but want to find out as much as possible before I do (so I know the rgiht quetions to ask!)

I'm surprised no-one has replied with the info you require - keep looking in someone may reply soon
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have found on the Spanish social security website what I think is the relevant form and it's a horror! For example (I dont know if they seriously expect a complete list) it asks for details of all your uk employers (address, period worked etc etc). Why would they want that? - the UK pensions service holds all the records required for contributions paid and periods worked. At the end there's a list a foot long of the accompanying documents required.... Help - anyone know a good gestor?

Anyway - nil illegitatum carborundum! - we will see if the uk pensions service can offer any useful advice when I phone them.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

We have had our pension (pittance that it is) paid into our Spanish bank account for the last 4 years.

No problems at all.

Wendy x
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy - did you have to apply through spanish social security ( because your last employment was in Spain not the U.K.?)
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

No we were pensioners before we left the UK, we had worked in Spain on many occasions for a period of 6 months at a time & paid social security as we are entertainers but we weren't entitled to a Spanish pension. I must say our Spanish solicitors helped us a lot.

Wendy x

PS: When we went to Alicante to get our NIE, the lady we saw told us about every time we had woked in Spain, good job we wern't trying to hide anything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Wendy Nesbeth; Aug 30th 2007 at 11:24 pm. Reason: Forgotten something