Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Civil Service Pensions

Civil Service Pensions

Old May 13th 2009, 1:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Civil Service Pensions

For those of you pre retirees that want to keep an eye on what your pension is doing, you can register here and keep a check on what its worth

https://addvantage.capitahartshead.c...chi/login.html
Old May 13th 2009, 1:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Civil Service Pensions

I'll bet they are still going up, unlike the pensions for the rest of us!
Old May 13th 2009, 1:47 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Only 5% this year Fred.
Old May 13th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
For those of you pre retirees that want to keep an eye on what your pension is doing, you can register here and keep a check on what its worth

https://addvantage.capitahartshead.c...chi/login.html
"pre-retirees" may want to keep an eye on this as well

http://www.dmo.gov.uk/

Central Government pensions were broadly always unfunded, so the cost to the tax payer, although large, has always been identifiable.
Local Government schemes (and many quasi public) however have been partly funded.
The clever little wheeze that Gordon came up with was to use FRS 17 to push pension funds (particularly LGPS) to match the duration of their liabilities (20 to 30 years) with similarly long-lasting assets. The only one of which happened to be ....

Government Stock!!

Which was great for financing his spending splurge, not so good for the poor future pensioners.

Because as any fule kno Government stock pays an appalling return (often less than inflation). Therefore the pension funds never grow in real terms to much more than the amount paid in.
This has left all Local Authorities with increasing shortfalls, which heretofore they have covered by increasing council tax. But the collapse in the stockmarket has doubled the deficits and when inflation takes off next year after Gordon's latest credit boom they will balloon.

Factor in a further 1.9 percent decline in private sector wages and a 3.6 percent increase in public sector wages, and ask your selves where (or indeed if, given the disparity in remuneration between the two sectors) the private sector, many of whom are already unemployed, will find the money?

Another cheery little toxic liability brought to you by Gordon and the Innumerati.
There never was such a thing as a free lunch, and this one will be no different.
Old May 13th 2009, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

As an ex of a pre- or very-nearly - retiree, I'm predictably interested in the welfare of my third of a pound of flesh........ do I have to be of retirement age or do I get the dibbings simply because he's retiring?
Old May 13th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
As an ex of a pre- or very-nearly - retiree, I'm predictably interested in the welfare of my third of a pound of flesh........ do I have to be of retirement age or do I get the dibbings simply because he's retiring?
PM me and I will tell you my (very private and somewhat amateur) thoughts
Old May 19th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Can anyone please tell me if a person is on a private pension, can she still apply for the govt pension at 60?

Thanks.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

If by Government pension you mean state pension, then yes. It is adjusted for years of stamps, but I don't know the ratio.
I expect Fred will be along soon and give you the exact answer
Old May 19th 2009, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
If by Government pension you mean state pension, then yes. It is adjusted for years of stamps, but I don't know the ratio.
and it is well worth paying for missing years - doing it at the moment for my wife.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Yes it's the UK state pension. I also have a pension from the company I worked before I left UK. I'll be moving to Spain next year. I wonder if I can apply for the state pension in UK next year.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you check the thread, I am sure i read somewhere that if you claim the pension BEFORE you leave, you will get the winter fuel payment too
Old May 19th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you check the thread, I am sure i read somewhere that if you claim the pension BEFORE you leave, you will get the winter fuel payment too
I can't claim till next year but I've left UK since 1995. I don't know whether I qualify for the pension though I've worked in UK for over 17 years (permanent job) & also on & off during the vacation terms.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you still get state pension, but may not get winter fuel allowance. But wait for Fred, he will know much better than I.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I can't claim till next year but I've left UK since 1995. I don't know whether I qualify for the pension though I've worked in UK for over 17 years (permanent job) & also on & off during the vacation terms.
You will be entitled to a state pension based on 17 years contributions (assuming you made them). At the moment the requirement for a full pension is 44 years for a man but as from April 2010 that drops to 30 years.

On that basis you would get 56% of the state pension. I think you may have passed the point where you can make any further voluntary contributions to increase your pension.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
You will be entitled to a state pension based on 17 years contributions (assuming you made them). At the moment the requirement for a full pension is 44 years for a man but as from April 2010 that drops to 30 years.

On that basis you would get 56% of the state pension. I think you may have passed the point where you can make any further voluntary contributions to increase your pension.
Thanks Fred for your info.

I've contributed over 17 years plus I've contributed extra 3,000 sterling pounds to the system before I left.

Is that 30 the number of years of contribution to the system? What is it for a woman?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.