Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chritians vs Moors in Oliva

Chritians vs Moors in Oliva

Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chritians vs Moors in Oliva

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Where on earth did you hear that?

He was from the Nicomedia the modern Izmit region of Northern Greece/Southern Turkey, that much is already documented and died in Lydia, thats why he is a patron Spain, because of the way he died and his martyrdom.

He is the Patron Saint of Alcoi but thats it, and to be fair he is also the Patron Saint of about 30 countries and bodies!
this is true - but I met someone from Alcoy/Alcoi who was convinced he came from there - made a big point that 'our' patron saint was from her home town!

probably they too are confused

a lot of Brits think he has to be english if he is the patron saint
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:57 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
this is true - but I met someone from Alcoy/Alcoi who was convinced he came from there - made a big point that 'our' patron saint was from her home town!

probably they too are confused

a lot of Brits think he has to be english if he is the patron saint
I met a bloke once who was convinced that Elvis still lives at Graceland alive and kicking, and that sometimes he dresses up as the gardener to see how people react to his monument.

George on the other hand was Turkish, quite possibly an Ethnic Georgian, who, over the course of his life is documented to have returned to Nicomedia several times.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:52 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Where on earth did you hear that?

He was from the Nicomedia the modern Izmit region of Northern Greece/Southern Turkey, that much is already documented and died in Lydia, thats why he is a patron Spain, because of the way he died and his martyrdom.

He is the Patron Saint of Alcoi but thats it, and to be fair he is also the Patron Saint of about 30 countries and bodies!
Interesting guy our George,seems he got around quite a bit.
Must have had a bloody good horse.
I shall endeavour to do a bit research and see what else he got up to.

So how come its celebrated the same date in the UK and Spain,
Does that come from the day the Moors were kicked out, or is it simply fiction?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:56 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

That I'm not sure of but remember that he is a Christian Martyr so the likelihood is that it was a pagan festival first that was usurped by the early Christians to implant their own religion deep in the heart of a largely illiterate population, hence why we have Christmas in December.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

I have no idea - our moors & christians starts next week - I think various towns fit it into to their local calendar where they can fit it!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:08 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I have no idea - our moors & christians starts next week - I think various towns fit it into to their local calendar where they can fit it!
A little research indicates that 23 April is the day he is believed to have died and so commemorated in many countries.
In just a few countries that had a different calender it was 6 May.
Most versions place him as a soldier in the Roman army around 300 AD.

The English adoption of the flag appears to go back to the Crusaders and their fleet which when sailing thru the Med.decided to put a red cross on the white background of their tunics and flags to guarantee them safe passage past other countries where he was already a Saint or Hero.

The Dragon fable was based in Libya, where the Dragon prevented anyone getting to the well, the only supply of good water,so along galloped George on his trusty steed and fixed the Wicked Dragon once and for all........
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:32 am
Straw Man.

Did you also discover that the red cross on a white background was more widely worn by Muslim Crusaders initially than Christian ones?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:16 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the cross was first worn by the Templars and I believe the Templars were founded in France. Christian crusaders came from many countries not just England and most wore colours denoting alegiance to their country of origin.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I thought the cross was first worn by the Templars and I believe the Templars were founded in France. Christian crusaders came from many countries not just England and most wore colours denoting alegiance to their country of origin.
Would that be Simon Templar? He was a saint wasn't he?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Would that be Simon Templar? He was a saint wasn't he?
Nice one
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:02 pm
On the road again.

Just wondered if anyone is taking bets.

I was fancying a fiver on the Christians myself,.......................seem to be on a good winning streak of late.

The Moors usually have a decent first half, but then tend to fall to bits after the interval.

Need to brush up on their fitness methinks..........
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:12 pm
Started off with nothing

The cross is used by many diverse groups. This is a photo taken in ER @ Alabama>

Somehow, I don't think he is going to make it
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:28 pm
Straw Man.

The shock news is that the first Christians to have adopted it may well have been the...................... FRENCH!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
The cross is used by many diverse groups. This is a photo taken in ER @ Alabama>
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...g?t=1247155821
Somehow, I don't think he is going to make it
Not if that is heart massage. lol
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The shock news is that the first Christians to have adopted it may well have been the...................... FRENCH!
I thought theirs was just plain white.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.