Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Christmas Lottery - can foreigners buy tickets?

Christmas Lottery - can foreigners buy tickets?

Old Aug 26th 2012, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christmas Lottery - can foreigners buy tickets?

I have searched this forum and Googled every which way but cannot find anything to say that El Gordo is restricted to Spanish nationals only. However, knowing my luck, I'd buy a ticket, win and then find I was disqualified for not being resident. I know that the UK lottery can't be played online from a non-UK IP address and wonder if Spain has similar restrictions.

Anyone have any definitive proof either way as to the situation?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Lottery - can foreigners buy tickets?

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
I have searched this forum and Googled every which way but cannot find anything to say that El Gordo is restricted to Spanish nationals only. However, knowing my luck, I'd buy a ticket, win and then find I was disqualified for not being resident. I know that the UK lottery can't be played online from a non-UK IP address and wonder if Spain has similar restrictions.

Anyone have any definitive proof either way as to the situation?
I believe that it's restricted to residents as opposed to nationals
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:26 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by the fact that you can buy them easily on the Web, I am pretty sure that anyone can buy one.

However the win is only tax free to fiscal residents.

The same applies to the UK lottery - if you are a Spanish tax resident UK lottery wins are taxable in Spain but not in the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, anyone can buy them. Go to your local bar and ask for a décimo. This will cost a bit more (€23 instead of €20) and the extra €3 goes to local charities.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond reputeKenwoodlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Yes, anyone can buy them. Go to your local bar and ask for a décimo. This will cost a bit more (€23 instead of €20) and the extra €3 goes to local charities.
Thanks Pocaloca, I think I'll do that. The guy who runs our local bar seems a nice chap and is usually quite knowledgeable and willing to educate a couple of dim ex-pats in the ways of the Spanish. I can't seem to raise any dosh on the return of empty butane bottles so winning El Gordo is the next best thing.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenwoodlad
Thanks Pocaloca, I think I'll do that. The guy who runs our local bar seems a nice chap and is usually quite knowledgeable and willing to educate a couple of dim ex-pats in the ways of the Spanish. I can't seem to raise any dosh on the return of empty butane bottles so winning El Gordo is the next best thing.
Buena suerte!

We usually buy half a dozen from different places and just about get our money back. Still waiting for "the fat one" to sing!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:39 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Judging by the fact that you can buy them easily on the Web, I am pretty sure that anyone can buy one.

However the win is only tax free to fiscal residents.

The same applies to the UK lottery - if you are a Spanish tax resident UK lottery wins are taxable in Spain but not in the UK.
ah now that makes sense
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
ah now that makes sense
Of course the same applies to premium bonds and ISAs and other "tax free" products. Only tax free in the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Of course the same applies to premium bonds and ISAs and other "tax free" products. Only tax free in the UK.
and Gib