British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Christmas foods (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/christmas-foods-693135/)

steviedeluxe Nov 10th 2010 9:36 pm

Christmas foods

I'm normally a big fan of Spanish foodstuffs (for example jamon, morcilla, mojama etc) but I'm not so sure about their seasonal offerings. Turron, polverones, even Roscon doesn't really do it for me in the way Mince pies or Xmas pud do. Are there any seasonal delicacies you like (or miss) ?

bil Nov 12th 2010 10:48 am

Re: Christmas foods

I'm trying to think of a Spanish xmas delicacy that I really go for, but I can't. You know it's xmas when the Mr Kipling mince pies come out.

jimenato Nov 12th 2010 11:44 pm

Boxing day food is my favourite - much better than Christmas dinner. A buffet of cold turkey, hams, pork pie, sausage rolls, pickled eggs and onions - I love all that stuff. Some Spanish foods would work well with that - how about Spanish sausages, various ensaladas, Spanish ham, even paella, gambas... this is making me hungry!!

JLFS Nov 13th 2010 1:23 am

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 8975129)
I'm normally a big fan of Spanish foodstuffs (for example jamon, morcilla, mojama etc) but I'm not so sure about their seasonal offerings. Turron, polverones, even Roscon doesn't really do it for me in the way Mince pies or Xmas pud do. Are there any seasonal delicacies you like (or miss) ?

Polverones???????

Polverones????????

What is the point of polverones?

They come in a wide variety of flavours and they all taste the same.

The nearest thing they can be compared to is eating the contents of the hoover bag.

Fred James Nov 13th 2010 5:51 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8979323)
Polverones???????

The nearest thing they can be compared to is eating the contents of the hoover bag.

You have obviously been eating the good ones:)

HBG Nov 13th 2010 6:01 am

I like Spanish food too, but at Christmas we go traditional. There are no ingredients we can’t buy here in Spain, not with Iceland, Lidl, Aldi et al on our doorstop, and an English butcher within walking distance.

Hundreds of local bars provide traditional British Christmas meals, but we prefer to eat at home, at least on the big day, surrounded by close family – two Spanish dogs.

Father Christmas is already here, he arrived yesterday and cost four Euros from Lidl.

JLFS Nov 13th 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 8979585)
You have obviously been eating the good ones:)

Do you mean that there is a quality scale of polverones?

Do you mean that some of the compacted dust cakes are good?

Do you mean that you like eating things that have the same texture and taste as fag ash? :rofl:

I would not want to be Santa delivering presents in Spain when you get left a chupito and polverones.

Much better to be left a mince pie after making the effort to climb down the chimney.;)

As Stevie Deluxe said they cant compare to the old mince pies, the smell of hot ones really gets me in the Christmas spirit.

bil Nov 13th 2010 7:39 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8979628)
Do you mean that there is a quality scale of polverones?

Do you mean that some of the compacted dust cakes are good?

Do you mean that you like eating things that have the same texture and taste as fag ash? :rofl:

I would not want to be Santa delivering presents in Spain when you get left a chupito and polverones.

Much better to be left a mince pie after making the effort to climb down the chimney.;)

As Stevie Deluxe said they cant compare to the old mince pies, the smell of hot ones really gets me in the Christmas spirit.

Talking of chupitos, the first time I got offered one, I just didn't know what to say. We had been chatting away with the owner of the restaurant, who is marginally more camp than a very long row of pink tents, when he turned to me and asked if I fancied a chupito. My mind span a bit as I thought to myself 'Chupar = to suck' but then he came back with a complimentary tray of liqueurs and I relaxed a bit.

Gotta agree about the compacted dust cakes. The damn turron isn't that good either IMO. If I made fudge and it tasted like that I'd bin it.

JLFS Nov 13th 2010 8:35 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8979661)
Talking of chupitos, the first time I got offered one, I just didn't know what to say. We had been chatting away with the owner of the restaurant, who is marginally more camp than a very long row of pink tents, when he turned to me and asked if I fancied a chupito. My mind span a bit as I thought to myself 'Chupar = to suck' but then he came back with a complimentary tray of liqueurs and I relaxed a bit.Gotta agree about the compacted dust cakes. The damn turron isn't that good either IMO. If I made fudge and it tasted like that I'd bin it.

:rofl:

That is a good reason to always have a pocket dictionary to hand-if in doubt about a word, exit stage left and look it up sharpish.

It can say you a lot of sweaty moments...:rofl::rofl:

Some K for making me laugh.

bil Nov 13th 2010 9:20 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8979730)
:rofl:

That is a good reason to always have a pocket dictionary to hand-if in doubt about a word, exit stage left and look it up sharpish.

It can say you a lot of sweaty moments...:rofl::rofl:

Some K for making me laugh.

Thank you dear boy. I'd give you some for the comments re the polverones, but I already gave!

HBG Nov 13th 2010 9:21 am

I can ask for a BJ in about six different languages including Scottish, but none of them are of any use at the moment because I can hear the sound of heavy snoring next door.

Mind you, I’d be ****ed in Swansea.

JLFS Nov 13th 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8979797)
I can ask for a BJ in about six different languages including Scottish, but none of them are of any use at the moment because I can hear the sound of heavy snoring next door.

Mind you, I’d be ****ed in Swansea.

Who is snoring? you dont mean the big, bearded, hairy assed truck driver who lives nextdoor to you, do you?
Never mind, there will be other occasions....................

:blink::blink::rofl:

HBG Nov 13th 2010 9:54 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8979829)
Who is snoring? you dont mean the big, bearded, hairy assed truck driver who lives nextdoor to you, do you?
Never mind, there will be other occasions....................

:blink::blink::rofl:

How the **** did you know about that?

JLFS Nov 13th 2010 10:06 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 8979850)
How the **** did you know about that?

I heard it through the grapevine........;)

Match of the day is just starting.

Cheers.

HBG Nov 13th 2010 10:19 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8979864)
I heard it through the grapevine........;)

Match of the day is just starting.

Cheers.

There's a boxing match I'm desperately looking for, for the British heavyweight title, and my stupid pirate TV doesn't have it. I've got money on it which I think I've lost. Match of the day? It won't be West Ham, will it?

I'm going out on the terrace with my dogs and my MP3 player and a glass of wine.