Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Choosing private Healthcare

Choosing private Healthcare

Old Jun 5th 2020, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing private Healthcare

Just a suggestion, an option: becoming autónimo will cost 60€ / month for the first year and apparently it's easy to de-register once you have a job ('easy' may be a relative term). You'd have to research this more than the skim reading I've done, but it looks like you will (1) be able to register with their social security system and (2) therefore won't need medical insurance. You should make sure of (1) and (2) as like I say i've only skim-read some web pages.

Disadvantages are it seems like a faff to register and that you'll also have to pay income tax and IVA and file things quarterly, but if you're saving 40€ / month maybe you'll think that's wrth the extra time.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagoo
Just a suggestion, an option: becoming autónimo will cost 60€ / month for the first year and apparently it's easy to de-register once you have a job ('easy' may be a relative term). You'd have to research this more than the skim reading I've done, but it looks like you will (1) be able to register with their social security system and (2) therefore won't need medical insurance. You should make sure of (1) and (2) as like I say i've only skim-read some web pages.

Disadvantages are it seems like a faff to register and that you'll also have to pay income tax and IVA and file things quarterly, but if you're saving 40€ / month maybe you'll think that's wrth the extra time.

Problem here is that you can't just register as autonomo and then not work, therefore taking advantage of the lower amount paid for health care. If you don't show some income, I believe they will deregister you. (don't take that as gospel though its something i was told)
Old Jun 5th 2020, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond reputeLagoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Problem here is that you can't just register as autonomo and then not work, therefore taking advantage of the lower amount paid for health care. If you don't show some income, I believe they will deregister you. (don't take that as gospel though its something i was told)
I've read that too, however the OP has posted "I will be working without a contract at first just doing some online teaching" and hopefully there will be enough business for this not to come into play
Old Jun 6th 2020, 5:03 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lagoo

Reading that advice I do not get the feeling you read the link I gave to your question.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Reading that advice I do not get the feeling you read the link I gave to your question.
No I didn't read an web site, in Spanish, just to make a suggestion to someone who probably won't go that way. If the information is wrong just correct it.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

TicTac111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lagoo,

I still live in the UK but would like to relocate after the virus has been beaten ;-) but I already read the comments here and collect information and your comment is very interesting. May I ask you what percentage you pay in addition???
Old Jun 7th 2020, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi TicTac111, I'm not autónimo myself, just making a suggestion for the OP. Good luck in your move.