Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Choosing an electronic tablet device

Choosing an electronic tablet device

Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:32 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing an electronic tablet device

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Is it possible to name a few names. I too am interested in a tablet but get no help from people saying things like "Samsung look alike".

Brands, websites and prices - please!
The Chinese brand "STAR" makes a lot of good lookalikes at a fraction of the price. There are literally 100's of others who buy same products and put their own label on them. As I said before, you can find them locally at Carrefour, Al Campo, MediaMarkt, Worten, on most online phone retailers, and all over Ebay.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fascinated by this debate and tried to follow it - although I am obviously a dinosaur in terms of modern technology. What I don't understand is why anyone would want one of these devices. I see people standing there taking photographs for example - why - when they come out they are little use (except to post on Facebook or the like) - surely a camera is better? The same as a phone - isn't a mobile sufficient?? Why would you want to pay to read a newspaper on one??? I find my home computer quite sufficient for my needs and it has a big screen too!!! Would love to know how the manufacturers persuaded people this is today's must have!!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:46 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
I've been fascinated by this debate and tried to follow it - although I am obviously a dinosaur in terms of modern technology. What I don't understand is why anyone would want one of these devices. I see people standing there taking photographs for example - why - when they come out they are little use (except to post on Facebook or the like) - surely a camera is better? The same as a phone - isn't a mobile sufficient?? Why would you want to pay to read a newspaper on one??? I find my home computer quite sufficient for my needs and it has a big screen too!!! Would love to know how the manufacturers persuaded people this is today's must have!!
Smartphones are one of those things you don't realise you need, until you have one, and then you wonder how you lived without it.

This is the very reason for Apple's success. Before the iPhone, you had these hard to use phones that had voice and SMS and that's about it. The Blackberrys were expensive and also very limited in what they could do.

Then Apple released the iPhone which completely revolutionised the mobile phone market. Suddenly, there was this incredible appliance, that once they had it, people quickly realised they couldn't live without. Brilliant opportunity, and Apple did it right.

Today's smartphones are incredible things. They are handheld little appliances can do so much, so easily, it's just unbelievable. Whatever you need, you can download in a few minutes with a touch of the finger - usually free.

The convenience is astounding. Whatever you need - people, shopping lists, personal organiser, directions to somewhere, access to the web, email, messaging, cheap phoning, access to your documents, price comparison at stores, music, photos, videos, and much much more - it's all in your pocket and at your fingertips.

Now you can do all those things on a larger screen, a tablet - which Apple also brought to market first, but is now flooded with me-too products.

Better yet, the costs are dropping like rocks. Apple may not be the leader much longer, but the market they carved is the very reason why you can have all this starting at well less than €100, from a choice of 100's of vendors.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:44 am
Just Joined

eddieb is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm expecting Amazon to bring out a 10" tablet soon, its an obvious extension of their current ereaders and 7" tablets
Old Dec 11th 2012, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fred James
OK I've found it on their site but unfortunately it doesn't support iOS.

From what you say I'll stick with the other options.
Fred,
If you're using an iPad load the app Film On. I used this in Greece with no problem. It doesn't need a VPN. You get all the main UK terrestrial channels.

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere later in the thread but I've only just got around to reading it through this far.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 1:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nigeljay
Fred,
If you're using an iPad load the app Film On. I used this in Greece with no problem. It doesn't need a VPN. You get all the main UK terrestrial channels.

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere later in the thread but I've only just got around to reading it through this far.
I am now using the app - it's working fine. It seems to be slightly better quality that via the web.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Smartphones are one of those things you don't realise you need, until you have one, and then you wonder how you lived without it.

Well I have survived in excess of 60 years without one of these annoying ant-social devices and hope to do so until I kick the bucket, not the recycle bin.

I wish others could do the same.

Unfortunately a computer became a necessity of work