Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chipped sky cards

Chipped sky cards

Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chipped sky cards

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are breaking no law, either UK or Spanish law.
Possibly Breach of Copyright - Civil Law
Old Jan 7th 2011, 2:51 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I would have thought that affects the broadcasters, not the end user.

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 7th 2011 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:21 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
It's certainly nothing to do with copyright as The Guy said.

You have a contract with Sky and if you use the card outside the UK the contract specifically says that the service will be discontinued.

You are not breaking any law, you are just trying to do something that is not permitted by the contract and they then have the right to stop you using the card.

They certainly cannot sue you for doing it!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
But when the user deliberately isnt keeping the terms of the Sky contract?

I have read that the police in Spain were cracking down on the British bars showing the football through Sky. In that case, the bars are the ones committing the "crime", as they are broadcasting to the public something they do not have the rights for.

In order to show the football in Spain the bars would need to have the relavant contract with the rights holders in Spain, either Canal+ or GolTV.

The same happened when the Spanish bars were showing the games from GolTV but through a personal licence rather than a public licence. The police said they would fine and eventually shut down any bars doing this.

For watching Sky in the home in Spain, I am not sure who holds the responsibility, either Sky or the house holder, but it is not strictly legal. If I were Canal+/Gol TV I would be consulting my lawyers that potentially 100,000s of people in Spain were watching their content without paying them for it

Last edited by cricketman; Jan 7th 2011 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Guy
The contract with the supplier should take care of that in the approved areas(eg UK Ireland etc) but outside those areas in other EU countries it may or may not.

Consider P to P, in the UK, you are threatened with legal action and fines of thousands of pounds.

In Spain the situation is or was different and it is legal to download movies for your own use.

Interesting to wonder whether or not you can get screwed for inadvertently bringing one back to the UK.

Jim
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Not true.

you are in breach of your contract with Sky by receiving transmissions outside the UK.

If you read the Sky contract you will find that the only option they have is to cancel your contract and disable your viewing card.

Apart from that they have no other legal options available under the contract.

You are breaking no law, either UK or Spanish law.
This is interesting. Hope OP gets his/her telly, (legally) We don't have sky, or even a dish. But as other people have said here there are charges by Sky that seem criminal. Our experience with them is that, Just a few months before moving my husband updated us to sky+ by buying a sky + box on ebay.
I was a bit concerned that there would be extra charges, so I made a fuss. My husband specifically asked whether this was the case when he asked to be upgraded and he was told no. What they didn't tell him was that he was signing up...by verbal contract, to a new 1 year contract and would have to pay to cancel it. We only found this out after we moved and tried to cancel... Now that's criminal in my opinion! I'd like to think that someone was getting our money back...and enjoying it!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
But when the user deliberately isnt keeping the terms of the Sky contract?

I have read that the police in Spain were cracking down on the British bars showing the football through Sky. In that case, the bars are the ones committing the "crime", as they are broadcasting to the public something they do not have the rights for.
Within the EU if a tv broadcast signal is transmitted from the UK to say one or more other countries then the copyright law enforcement falls to the originating country to enforce it. EU Treaty Dec 2009.

The detail of how they will do it is up to them but I'm sure there are enough law enforcement bodies to do it.

Like you guys I am not an expert.

Jim

Last edited by Bigger Jim; Jan 7th 2011 at 5:35 pm.