Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

chinese restaurants in spain

chinese restaurants in spain

Old May 31st 2006, 8:19 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chinese restaurants in spain

Originally Posted by GCM
Good points but then thinking about the traditional UK diet - it's anything but spicy, yet we have embraced Indian food with a vengeance so you would think there would be curry houses all over Spain too.

Mark
Not sure I agree with that.
The traditional UK diet is/was pretty poor. Our empire saved us from another millenium of over-boiled vegetables and un-seasoned meat. The lack of said culinary tradition combined with the spices, ingredients and expertise that flowed from the empire explains our current infatuation with curry.
Spain already has a culinary tradition that they're proud of. Also realise that they really didn't bring back much from the Americas except gold. It's still really hard to find the right spices here.
Their neighbours in Portugal also traded significantly in the Indian subcontinent and Asia and came back with a similar affection for spicy food.
You also have to realise that Spain, like France and Italy, are very insular and protective of their cuisine. That's why - outside of the bid cities - you really don't see many restaurants that serve food from other countries. That's why I say to my non-British friends that we have the best food in the world: because we embrace other culinary traditions and have a great variety on offer.
Old May 31st 2006, 8:23 pm
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Try the N332 in Cabo Roig there's a fantastic Indian called Ocean Spice if you get off the N332 sign posted Campomor and swing left as if to come back on the N332 but actually use the service road.

The food is excellent (I strongly recommend Lentil soup to start sounds crazy but its the best darned soup I ever had!)

Even better the restaurant is nicely laid out and the owner is really nice - recommends dishes if needed, talks politics with my FIL, and disappears when the food arrives perfect.

For those of you that are looking for Chinese there's a great Chinese over the road from this (can't remember the name but its close to sadly The Harley Donar Bar!) It has a conservatory style addition onto the building (I suspect because it couldn't cope with the business without it. Its again fabulous service and the mixed starter platter for 2 feed 3 maybe 4 and the seaweed is to die for.

And lastly why are you eating Chinese and Indian in Spain! tee hee

Tapas and Paella are the only way to go and try Hotel La Zenia if you are out this way - I could do you a weeks worth of meals not one of them bad out in this small section of N332 - we took my parents in law for a week and they didnt stop talking about the food they ate there for a month!

Hope you get to try some of these soon
Old May 31st 2006, 8:32 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jodie n' Mark
Try the N332 in Cabo Roig there's a fantastic Indian called Ocean Spice if you get off the N332 sign posted Campomor and swing left as if to come back on the N332 but actually use the service road.

The food is excellent (I strongly recommend Lentil soup to start sounds crazy but its the best darned soup I ever had!)

Even better the restaurant is nicely laid out and the owner is really nice - recommends dishes if needed, talks politics with my FIL, and disappears when the food arrives perfect.

For those of you that are looking for Chinese there's a great Chinese over the road from this (can't remember the name but its close to sadly The Harley Donar Bar!) It has a conservatory style addition onto the building (I suspect because it couldn't cope with the business without it. Its again fabulous service and the mixed starter platter for 2 feed 3 maybe 4 and the seaweed is to die for.

And lastly why are you eating Chinese and Indian in Spain! tee hee

Tapas and Paella are the only way to go and try Hotel La Zenia if you are out this way - I could do you a weeks worth of meals not one of them bad out in this small section of N332 - we took my parents in law for a week and they didnt stop talking about the food they ate there for a month!

Hope you get to try some of these soon

Before we came to live in Spain fish and shellfish was my favourite type of food. Then we came out here and enjoyed allsorts of things from the sea that I never even knew existed. Not to mention all the different tapas on offer and other things. All great.

But now, four years on, I'm sick of the sight of all the following:

Fish
Shellfish
Tomatoes
Anything with garlic in it.
cheese
Ham

I would kill for a good Indian, Japanese, Thai, you name it. Unfortunately where we live it is Spanish food or go hungry.

Spanish food is great, but not 7 days a week. Having been forced to eat it 24/7 for 4 years with no choice of alternatives has put me right off it.

Has anyone else experienced the same?
Old May 31st 2006, 9:25 pm
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Before we came to live in Spain fish and shellfish was my favourite type of food. Then we came out here and enjoyed allsorts of things from the sea that I never even knew existed. Not to mention all the different tapas on offer and other things. All great.

Fish
Shellfish
Tomatoes
cheese
Ham

I would kill for a good Indian, Japanese, Thai, you name it. Unfortunately where we live it is Spanish food or go hungry.

Spanish food is great, but not 7 days a week. Having been forced to eat it 24/7 for 4 years with no choice of alternatives has put me right off it.

I know what you mean. Luckily I lived in Madrid when I was in Spain so I could eat Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Indian, Argentinian, Thai, as well as go to regional Spanish restaurants when I got sick of tapas and paella. Don't go criticising their food though. They get very upset if you don't think it's the best in the world.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:34 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
I know what you mean. Luckily I lived in Madrid when I was in Spain so I could eat Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Indian, Argentinian, Thai, as well as go to regional Spanish restaurants when I got sick of tapas and paella. Don't go criticising their food though. They get very upset if you don't think it's the best in the world.

Don't worry, when I´m eating out I'm all "Que rico" "Que bueno" and save my real thoughts for the safety of this form. How two faced I am!
Old May 31st 2006, 10:33 pm
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Fish
Shellfish
Tomatoes
cheese
Ham

I am most surprised at your not enjoying Spanish cuisine, I have always been impressed with the huge choice normally on offer, you don't mention meat such as rabbit, pork, chicken etc. Or the way the fruit and veg actually has a taste and what about rice, I believe southern Spain is famous for rice.
I live in Droitwich, have a wife who is an excellent cook, but I could say that I was bored with exactly the same ingredients due to their bland flavors, surely the variety comes with the way its cooked. So your thoughts are not specific to Spain, but rather to a lack of variety.
You must get a new cookbook
Old May 31st 2006, 11:08 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by kevray
I am most surprised at your not enjoying Spanish cuisine, I have always been impressed with the huge choice normally on offer, you don't mention meat such as rabbit, pork, chicken etc. Or the way the fruit and veg actually has a taste and what about rice, I believe southern Spain is famous for rice.
I live in Droitwich, have a wife who is an excellent cook, but I could say that I was bored with exactly the same ingredients due to their bland flavors, surely the variety comes with the way its cooked. So your thoughts are not specific to Spain, but rather to a lack of variety.
You must get a new cookbook
Chicken? What chicken? I haven't seen chicken on a menu for ages. Occasionally the odd pincho de pollo on the carta de tapas but that's about all. It would be nice to have the opportunity to get sick of chicken as well! And paella, I don't think I've had that for, oh let me see, at least a day or two.

It's not that I don't enjoy spanish cuisine. When I first came here I absolutely loved it. I'm just tired of eating the same old things time in time out. I read somewhere that there are in the region of 200 tapas bars in the city where we live. It amazes me how they manage to survive because they ALL have EXACTLY THE SAME menu! Ensaladilla rusa, albondigas, choco frito, boquerones, queso, jamon, etc. Sound familiar?

As for getting a new cook book - well, I was actually talking more about what food is on offer in the bars and restaurants. At home I have a more varied diet.

I think if I could just divide my eating out between different types of restaurants I would be fine. But when I ate Spanish yesterday, spanish today, spanish tomorrow, I can't help but CRAVE something different! I have been known to nip down to the Costa del Sol (a mere 4 hour journey) just to eat at my favourite Japanese. Mmmm. Lovely.

I was curious to know if anyone else who lives here (particularly people who don't live in multinational areas with multinational restaurants) experience the same problem as me.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:24 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to believe no menus include chicken where you live, which is ?

What about a take away cooked chicken then, from the shops that cook and cut up on site for take away, or dont you have those either
Old Jun 1st 2006, 7:53 am
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by jdr
Its hard to believe no menus include chicken where you live, which is ?

What about a take away cooked chicken then, from the shops that cook and cut up on site for take away, or dont you have those either
Jerez de la Frontera. And no, it is rarer than rare to find chicken on a menu. There is one of those pollo dorado shops in town, but I don't class that as a good night's dining!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Jerez de la Frontera. And no, it is rarer than rare to find chicken on a menu. There is one of those pollo dorado shops in town, but I don't class that as a good night's dining!
I know what you mean, but they are good for a quickie meal
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

sunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
I know what you mean, but they are good for a quickie meal
Even when we first moved here many moons ago, it was virtually impossible to find chicken on the menu in Spanish bars/restaurants. Rabbit, pork and steak yes, but chicken??

I can symapthise with the lack of variety in your diet Keith. Even after a two week holiday somewhere really remote and eating only in Spanish restaurants for breakfast/lunch and dinner, quite frankly i've had enough and crave something different. I love Spanish food too.

My favourite food is Indian and if I had to eat that morning, moon and night i'm sure it would have a similar affect.

It's highly possible that if you had the choice between numerous 'non spanish' restaurants ie japanese, chinese, indian, etc you would still eat out in the Spanish places more than the others but not having the choice is a killer! (not literally of course)
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by sunnysenorita
Even when we first moved here many moons ago, it was virtually impossible to find chicken on the menu in Spanish bars/restaurants. Rabbit, pork and steak yes, but chicken??
[snip]
If it's not on the menu, then ask for it and tell them how you want it cooked (e.g. substitute chicken for pork in this dish). They can only say no, but if you don't ask, you don't get and it's typically Spanish to "try it on", at least it strikes up a conversation and a good restaurant will go out of it's way to please it's customers. Tell them you have an allergy to pork

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:01 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by sunnysenorita
It's highly possible that if you had the choice between numerous 'non spanish' restaurants ie japanese, chinese, indian, etc you would still eat out in the Spanish places more than the others but not having the choice is a killer! (not literally of course)
Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. It's knowing that I CAN'T eat the more international food that makes me want it so badly.

Well, I've just come back from town where I had a lunch of some albondigas and boquerones en vinagre. Yawn. It must be at least the millionth time I've had that.

I wonder what would happen if I went to a restaurant and asked them to cook me up a curry or make some sushi especially for me. Actually I don't wonder. I already know. ¿Sushi? ¿Curry? ¿Qué es?
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:24 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. It's knowing that I CAN'T eat the more international food that makes me want it so badly.

Well, I've just come back from town where I had a lunch of some albondigas and boquerones en vinagre. Yawn. It must be at least the millionth time I've had that.

I wonder what would happen if I went to a restaurant and asked them to cook me up a curry or make some sushi especially for me. Actually I don't wonder. I already know. ¿Sushi? ¿Curry? ¿Qué es?
Millions of Brits would gladly swap with you Keith if you want to

Mark
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:16 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

keith, i know exactly what you mean. We have only lived in Barxeta (nr Xativa) since february this year and... I am dying for a curry, or a good chinese or more importanly a Thai meal. Yep, I know I can cook it myself but its not the same as going to a restaurant is it.
I just love everything spicy, have not found that the spanish food to be that good, (in that way) oh sorry must not moan, I have had some nice Spanish meals but.....
love being here in Spain but wish a good curry house would open nearby so I could have a curry once a week. you cant have everything can you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.