Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Chinese are coming!

The Chinese are coming!

Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Chinese are coming!

So discussing the Chinese human rights record is as censored on British Expats as it is in China I see.... interesting.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:51 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So discussing the Chinese human rights record is as censored on British Expats as it is in China I see.... interesting.
Human rights is a strange business tho. We have too many of them in the west and not enough in the east. So maybe in the fullness of time a meltdown of the two could be achieved.

Jo xxx
Old Jul 8th 2011, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
I'm afraid it goes back much further than that. The decline started in the late '60s. We were talking about the inverted pyramid then, more bosses than workers & apprenticeships cut to three years from five. Talking about apprenticeships, what the hell is a modern apprenticeship ?

John
Has anyone else noticed a lack of time-served managers these days? Most of the managers I see are University Graduates with no experience of working on the jobs they're managing.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jul 8th 2011 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:13 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Has anyone else noticed a lack of time-served managers these days? Most of the managers I see are University Garaduates with no experience of working on the jobs they're managing.
I did notice a distinct lack of chicken in my Chow Mein the other night. I blame the Chinese.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:18 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Human rights is a strange business tho. We have too many of them in the west and not enough in the east. So maybe in the fullness of time a meltdown of the two could be achieved.

Jo xxx
Oh absolutely, I mean here in the west we might get a bit huffy if one country invaded another and over the course of 40 years systematically eradicated its religious belief system, ethnically cleansed its population, took all its rare earth metals (SNIP) and told the world to go screw itself every time the issue of the countless murdered and tortured inhabitants came up.... good job the Chinese don't let such sensitivities bother them eh?

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 8th 2011 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 5:19 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Domino
Why so intemperate Matt ? Man has to learn from experience, no matter how many times you tell a child not to touch the fire they will - just for the experience. However, it should be noted that many do learn from other's experience, even if it is historical.

Am I my brother's keeper ? The UK along with other EU countries currently has a problem with slavery, enforced labour etc - is that ok because it is within the immigrant community?
Just how are You proposing we (who are not squeaky clean) take action against another sovereign state because they use methods that are not acceptable to you.
Well... it didn't stop us invading Iraq... or Afghanistan.... or Libya....
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:50 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Jo xxx
That's a bit harsh jojojojojojojojojojojojo! Are you saying we should send all our chinese back to china?

I'd be gutted if Wok's Wagon shut down

Best prawn balls this side of Watford let me tell yer.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

To compare possible violations of human rights in the West with what has been and still is occuring on a daily basis in China is ridiculous beyond belief.
Remarks such as "good on em" leave me totally gobsmacked and despairing of ppls ignorance of the real severity and unpleasantness of the present Chinese regime.

Having said that, it's been sad to watch the leaders of Western countries virtually turn a blind eye for so many years to what is going on.
Yes,they claim to air the subject once in a while with the Chinese govt. but as we and they well know that's simply water on a ducks back and no more than hogwash to try and keep their own party faithful onside.

The worst of it is that many Western countries incl the US have over the years allowed themselves to get deep in hock with the Chinese, so what few powers of persuasion they may have possessed at one time, have long ago disappeared up the Swanee.

Apart from the torture factories we even saw absolutely blatant abuse of human rights and regulations leading up to and during the Beijing Olympics, however once again the US and others were terrified of making waves and so backed off allowing it to all be swept under the carpet once again.

Why the West has allowed itself to be pushed into such a weakened position is beyond me.
I refer mainly to the huge trade deficits which have built up over the years.
Had these been the result of fair trading on an equal footing then no problem, but basically we have all been complicit in snapping up cheap goods produced by prisoners in torture factories often at the cost of no more than half a bowl of rice a day.
No doubt it's too late in the day now to make much difference, however the writing was on the wall a long, long time ago and why our Western govts didn't make a firm stand way back then is way beyond my understanding.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:38 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Apple are making iphones for 5$ each in China, but sell them for 400$ apparently!

A bit of useless information from my son!!!

Jo xxxx
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Apple are making iphones for 5$ each in China, but sell them for 400$ apparently!

A bit of useless information from my son!!!

Jo xxxx
Possibly,
I watched a documentary last year showing how one of the Chinese prison torture camps was churning out various promotional goods for Coca -cola.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:13 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Possibly,
I watched a documentary last year showing how one of the Chinese prison torture camps was churning out various promotional goods for Coca -cola.
Ah ah ah, now now, lets have none of that talk! They are not "torture" camps, simply strong disciplined centers of high production and output...
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:23 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ah ah, now now, lets have none of that talk! They are not "torture" camps, simply strong disciplined centers of high production and output...
the UK could do with a few of them
all went down hill since National Service was stopped
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Well... it didn't stop us invading Iraq... or Afghanistan.... or Libya....
when did we invade Libya ??
was I too busy listening to all the News of the World blathering (can't be called reporting) and something real happened in the world

Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Domino
the UK could do with a few of them
all went down hill since National Service was stopped
Thats got my vote.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 10:53 pm
On the road again.

Well no they wouldn't want to do them too much physical damage or they wouldn't be able to churn out the goods, however mental torture seems to come to mind.

A bit like that Cool Hand Luke film, gotta get their minds right, yes boss, no boss, anything you say boss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.