Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Chinese are coming!

The Chinese are coming!

Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:22 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Chinese are coming!

Originally Posted by HBG
Where I live, we are saturated with Chinese businesses, but today we visited the latest one, a gigantic store near Quesada that has just opened. Because of some unexpected visitors arriving shortly, we bought a couple of blow-up beds.

Anywhere else they sell for 40 Euros, this latest Chinese hypermarket sells them for 10. I think the actual size of this shop is bigger than the Olympic stadium.
I wonder if there isn't a long-term collaboration plan between the Chinese and the Spanish. The Chinese set up shops, warehouses etc to sell their stuff. Tourists drive from other (more expensive) European neighbours to the north to have a break, and to pick up bargains. In the meantime the spanish hotels, bars etc. provide the customers with hospitality.
To an extent this happens in London. On any one day 90% of the tourists appear to be on Oxford Street shopping.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:13 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I wonder if there isn't a long-term collaboration plan between the Chinese and the Spanish. The Chinese set up shops, warehouses etc to sell their stuff. Tourists drive from other (more expensive) European neighbours to the north to have a break, and to pick up bargains. In the meantime the spanish hotels, bars etc. provide the customers with hospitality.
To an extent this happens in London. On any one day 90% of the tourists appear to be on Oxford Street shopping.
I'm sure you're right. The Chinese are unobtrusive, ever smiling, and the funny thing is that nobody seems to know where they are living. I know that thousands are working in my area, but I don't know of a single house where they are living.

I'm going to follow one of them home just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:36 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There was a Chinese restaurant close by where we lived, nearly always empty. There were two families with children and they lived in a fairly expensive apartment block near the sea. No way did they earn enough to even pay the rent. Continued for years, never worked out what they were up to.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

used to be Japanese but they have big problems at home so its now Chinese - all with the obligatory cameras
its all income for the UK

Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:37 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I heard that China had bailed out Spain and were also about to give financial assistance to UK businesses????

They've come along way - good on em!

Jo xxx
Good on em my ass.
Good on em if they'd done it by fair and reasonable means rather than using political prisoners as free slave labour and numerous other breaches of basic human rights on a gigantic scale.
It's truly amazing how many new businesses often in new buildings have sprung up under Chinese control.
As already mentioned there is no way that many of these are making money on their daily business alone.
The term money laundering comes to mind, but why should the Spanish authorities care, as is their way, when there are backhanders dished out all round to get through building regulations,licences and all the rest incl contracts for the builders.
No doubt everyone in authority is happy to get a nice slice of the action whilst turning a blind eye to the fact that Spain is gradually being taken over by stealth, as is the case in many other countries.
Velly clafty the Chinese, they started out with tatty little bazaars which soon put paid to the one hundred peseta and one euro Spanish businesses and now all of a sudded the tat prices seem to have doubled overnight.
That is not to say they aren't capable of turning out quality stuff as and when the need arises and move on to much bigger things as we are now beginning to see.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:59 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Spain to ease visa requirements on Chinese tourists - hoping to attract 1 million Chinese tourists:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...3e05884cf1.6a1

Not sure this will happen as planned. Either it'll be a damp squib, or many times more than 1 million will take this opportunity. Interesting times..
Seems a bit optimistic regarding the numbers. Going from 90,000 to 300,000 to 1,000,000.
I would also wonder how these people would get by seeing how they will be going to Madrid , Barcalona etc and not places where English is spoken. Maybe it's changed though but my experiences in Madrid from years ago were that people didn't really speak much English. Chinese don't either really so that should be interesting to watch. I think most of them go on group tours though so I guess they will have quides on hand to show them around.Still , it's all money though.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:01 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I'm sure you're right. The Chinese are unobtrusive, ever smiling, and the funny thing is that nobody seems to know where they are living. I know that thousands are working in my area, but I don't know of a single house where they are living.

I expect they live in burrows underground and only come out to open up the shop.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

you see, they have succeeded !
they are out there but merge in with the background to the point where even an astute Brit doesn't notice them anymore.

in the 60's and 70's it was said the UK drug problem was fronted by caucasions but controlled by asiatics, who understood they would stick out like a sore thumb so used "locals" who blended in

is this a long term strategy in repayment for the problems caused by the Opium Wars of the mid-1800's ?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:54 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Good on em my ass.
Good on em if they'd done it by fair and reasonable means rather than using political prisoners as free slave labour and numerous other breaches of basic human rights on a gigantic scale.
It's truly amazing how many new businesses often in new buildings have sprung up under Chinese control.
As already mentioned there is no way that many of these are making money on their daily business alone.
The term money laundering comes to mind, but why should the Spanish authorities care, as is their way, when there are backhanders dished out all round to get through building regulations,licences and all the rest incl contracts for the builders.
No doubt everyone in authority is happy to get a nice slice of the action whilst turning a blind eye to the fact that Spain is gradually being taken over by stealth, as is the case in many other countries.
Velly clafty the Chinese, they started out with tatty little bazaars which soon put paid to the one hundred peseta and one euro Spanish businesses and now all of a sudded the tat prices seem to have doubled overnight.
That is not to say they aren't capable of turning out quality stuff as and when the need arises and move on to much bigger things as we are now beginning to see.
I dont think they're any worse than any other country. The human rights thing I dont know about, altho I think it can be seen both ways, we in the west are a little too concerned with humans rights and I rarely believe the propaganda stories that we hear slagging off all the so called "baddies" in the world! For instance, I've often wondered why we're at war with Afghanistan???? Or Lybia???

Jo xxx
Old Jul 8th 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Seems a bit optimistic regarding the numbers. Going from 90,000 to 300,000 to 1,000,000.
I would also wonder how these people would get by seeing how they will be going to Madrid , Barcalona etc and not places where English is spoken. Maybe it's changed though but my experiences in Madrid from years ago were that people didn't really speak much English. Chinese don't either really so that should be interesting to watch. I think most of them go on group tours though so I guess they will have quides on hand to show them around.Still , it's all money though.
its usually the young ones who front the shops whilst the elders sit in the background,
from my time Far East tim it is the young ones have the language skills, learnt in a polyglot society that requires them to speak Cantonese, Mandarin, English and one or two others in countries from China down to Singapore and Indonesia before heading east or west.

Who will win, the muslim "one world one religion" or the Chinese ??
might be interesting to be around when it happens.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I dont think they're any worse than any other country. The human rights thing I dont know about, altho I think it can be seen both ways, we in the west are a little too concerned with humans rights and I rarely believe the propaganda stories that we hear slagging off all the so called "baddies" in the world! For instance, I've often wondered why we're at war with Afghanistan???? Or Lybia???

Jo xxx
we are not at war with Afghanistan - we are at war with the Taliban, considering the lack of desire to self-protect they will fill the vaccuum when we eventually do leave. Rudyard Kipling had it right IMHO.

we are not at war with Libya - we are supporting the downtrodden peoples of that country.
a move I am totally against - taking such action against the leader of a soveriegn state because you don't like his politics or the way he treats his people means you could be called on to do it anytime anywhere. And could bite you on the bum when your people say they want someone else to help them.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:31 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I am loving the fact that we are even looking past Chinas human rights issues now... priceless! On we march with capitalism eh?
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

Who will win, the muslim "one world one religion" or the Chinese ??
might be interesting to be around when it happens.
Bingo!! I know which I prefer.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I am loving the fact that we are even looking past Chinas human rights issues now... priceless! On we march with capitalism eh?
The west built its fortune on the backs of human suffering, today billions all over the world have their human rights ignored, we only care if it threatens our pocket.
1% of the population have more wealth than the rest of the 99% put together, that's the abuse of human rights.

Muslim v China I agree will be the one to watch for all our futures.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, America was built on terrorism and slavery who knows, in years to come people may visit the city of Bin Laden in the United States of Arabia the same way they visit the city of Washington today (not that I am convinced Bin Laden was ever more than a CIA scapegoat...he certainly had the beard for it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.